• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game over.

Comment

• Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
      Game over.
      Well it is now ... never any doubt when that grounder went in Jeter's direction.

Comment

• Following Fly's, BK's, and Paul's reactions on Facebook have been highly entertaining.

Comment

• ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo

"Raul Ibanez and Alex Rodriguez are the ONLY players to hit 2 game-tying HR in the 9th inning or later in a single postseason."

of course they are.

@ESPNStatsInfo Ibanez is the first player ever with three home runs in the ninth inning or later in a single postseason.

funny story on Yankees trying to hide the empty-seat late-game issue in Potemkin Stadium

I feel bad for professional wrestling - they can't even make up the stuff that baseball comes up with...
          Last edited by Judge Jude; 10-13-2012, 11:15 PM.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Can't the Yankees hit line drives? They have been awful this post season ... the Tiger's OF's will have sore necks tonight.

Comment

• Jeter, fractured ankle, three month recovery. Season over.
              "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

• To recap:

Any manager not as dumb as Leyland would have had 1 or 2 forgettable Tigers pitchers finish out a 4-0 9th inning, leaving him in great position to turn Game 2 over tomorrow afternoon with a 1-run lead to a well-rested and seemingly recouped Jose Valverde.

Instead, he wins Game 2 anyway, burns up the secondary levels of both bullpens, now knows (?) that Valverde is a basket case on the road now (and even if he doesn't, he can't be dumb enough to use him tomorrow anyway), AND the breaking-down Jeter is broke and now done for the season.

Leyland is a genius.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• IMO, the Yankees are toast without Jeter. He admittedly doesn't have the range he once had, but if that team has a heart, he's it. And he's one of the few players that's been hitting.

Btw, this may be the first time that the past 3 WS winners are all in the LCS.
                  "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                  "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Leyland...so freaking overrated....almost LaRussa like

This AL LCS has been a conundrum for me as other than the Dogers, Leyland/Detroit is the one team I dislike more than the Yanks.
                    I have always been a fan of Joe Girardi and it's not clear to me how anyone could not respect the qualities of Jeter and his game and leadership......Regardless, I believe NYY will overcome the loss of Jeter and likely move on to play my GIANTS in the WS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
                      IMO, the Yankees are toast without Jeter. He admittedly doesn't have the range he once had, but if that team has a heart, he's it. And he's one of the few players that's been hitting.

Btw, this may be the first time that the past 3 WS winners are all in the LCS.
                      They need something dramatic to happen the way the team is hitting. If there's the slimmest of silver linings, maybe Jeter going down might prompt a few of the under performing stars to step up. With or without Jeter, they were going out on current form. You can't keep relying on hail mary's.

Comment

• Bob has been a source of laughter on FB this afternoon.

It does suck about Jeter as he is the heart of the Yankees and someone you just can't root against.
                        "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                        - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                        - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• That call at second was pretty bad but damn, can't the relievers get someone out?
                          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Down 0-2 and now facing Verlander? Sporer's cheeks have to be aching from the smiling he's surely doing.

Comment

• granted that the Yanks are in a tough spot this year, but I don't get the gloomy longterm vibe.

- Rivera won't turn 43 until next month
                              - Ibanez just turned 40 in June
                              - Pettitte just turned 40 in June
                              - Lowe won't turn 40 til next June
                              - Ichiro won't turn 39 til next Monday
                              - Jeter just turned 38 in June
                              - Kuroda won't turn 38 til June
                              - A-Rod just turned 37 in July
                              - heck, Cano won't even turn 30 til... a week from Monday

I mean, look at all the Yankees hitters who will still be in their 20s all of next year:
                              - Eduardo Nunez is only 25 (probably)
                              - plus Ramiro Pena, Melky Mesa, and Francisco Cervelli

The Yankees pitchers are even younger:
                              - Hughes, Nova, Robertson, Logan, Eppley, Phelps, Joba all in their 20s

nothing to see here, folks
                              just wheel these veterans out in 2013, and enjoy the ride...

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                                granted that the Yanks are in a tough spot this year, but I don't get the gloomy longterm vibe.

- Rivera won't turn 43 until next month
                                - Ibanez just turned 40 in June
                                - Pettitte just turned 40 in June
                                - Lowe won't turn 40 til next June
                                - Ichiro won't turn 39 til next Monday
                                - Jeter just turned 38 in June
                                - Kuroda won't turn 38 til June
                                - A-Rod just turned 37 in July
                                - heck, Cano won't even turn 30 til... a week from Monday

I mean, look at all the Yankees hitters who will still be in their 20s all of next year:
                                - Eduardo Nunez is only 25 (probably)
                                - plus Ramiro Pena, Melky Mesa, and Francisco Cervelli

The Yankees pitchers are even younger:
                                - Hughes, Nova, Robertson, Logan, Eppley, Phelps, Joba all in their 20s

nothing to see here, folks
                                just wheel these veterans out in 2013, and enjoy the ride...
                                That's a little unfair. A little. Pineda and Gardner are also under 30, as are the "untouchable" surefire HOFers Betances and Banuelos.

Sabathia is 32, although his waistline may be double that, and he doesn't seem to be slowing down. Martin turns 30 in February, Swisher 32 in November, Granderson 32 in March, and Teixeira 33 in April, and of those four, only Teixeira seems to be in a decline phase (Martin just sucks).

IMO the pitching staff is well-blended in terms of age. The hitters are aging and some are untradeable due to their bloated contracts. I suspect that many opposing GMs are going to hear from Cashman and give him the cold shoulder when he seeks an Ed Lopat-like trading partner. They could try to sign some free agents for the offense, but the only real openings as of now are at C and RF (Martin, Swisher, and Ichiro are all free agents this year).
                                Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                                -- William James

Comment

Working...
                                X