Rotojunkies NFBC Draft Championship League #1 Picks And Commentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    Interested to see why others are in on the hype for Luis Robert and Kyle Tucker. I know why *I* am, lol, but interested to hear what others think.
    I love the power/speed combo for both. I have more concerns with Robert, he started hot last year but finished poorly.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    ---------------------------------------------
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I can never bring myself to draft guys like Mondesi. The SBs are obviously enormously valuable but he's just not that good of an actual player thus far. His career OBP is .284! Those are the kinds of guys you target in the middle rounds but Mondesi is being drafted as a top 20 or 30 guy.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        I love the power/speed combo for both. I have more concerns with Robert, he started hot last year but finished poorly.
        Robert's hard hit ball data is very promising. He and Tucker both jump out for the reasons you suggest but I was curious whether something that happened in 2020 pushed them up the rankings. Superficially there's not a lot of there there (yet).
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Interested to see why others are in on the hype for Luis Robert and Kyle Tucker. I know why *I* am, lol, but interested to hear what others think.
          Tucker's first exposure to MLB was pretty bad. But then he put up a 30/30 season in the minors and even though HOU didn't call him up for most of 2019, he still had 4 HR and 5 SB in 22 games. Then last year he went 9hr/8sb in 58 games, with solid walk/strikeout rates. The hype is real and borderline out of control but there's not a lot of guys with 30/20 potential and 20% K rates ... yes that's a mild shot at Robert. His BATX projection is 28hr/19sb with a .265 average. If the whole Astros team comes around a bit this year (fairly big if, I know, for trash can related reasons), then Altuve/Bregman/Tucker/Brantley/Yordan/Correa is still a pretty impressive top 6.

I was actually debating between Tucker and Albies, since I kinda hate most of the 2B options. So when Ozzie made it back to me he was an easy pick in round 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            The Tucker selection kind of surprised me, not that he doesn't have talent, he does. But I would have thought that he might last another couple of rounds, I guess that this just shows that you can't sleep in this league and expect the expected.

Same with the Mondesi pick...I was thinking maybe 3rd round, and he went early in the 2nd. I don't think that he hurts you in any way, but now you have to construct a roster to kind of guard against a .230 BA with 600 at bats. Not impossible to do, but a little more of a challenge.
            Mondesi seems like a mid second rounder to me, but note that I paired him with freeman, and the steals are tremendous man. I think finding 25 HR corners are much easier than setting for a juan pierre type later.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
              Mondesi seems like a mid second rounder to me, but note that I paired him with freeman, and the steals are tremendous man. I think finding 25 HR corners are much easier than setting for a juan pierre type later.
              Oh, agree 100%. Mondesi could give 25 homers and 60 plus steals...he's got that kind of ability. I really like him, but #18 is as high as I've seen him go...but go big or go home.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                Oh, agree 100%. Mondesi could give 25 homers and 60 plus steals...he's got that kind of ability. I really like him, but #18 is as high as I've seen him go...but go big or go home.
                I'd give much better odds that he loses his job altogether than he puts up those numbers. But yeah, probably highest risk highest reward player in all of fantasy. You're going to have to put big $ in auctions or high picks in snake drafts to get the guy, that's for sure. I won't be owning him at the prices he commands.

Comment

Big time ARGH on the Snell pick. Damnit!

Comment

I'd give much better odds that he loses his job altogether than he puts up those numbers. But yeah, probably highest risk highest reward player in all of fantasy. You're going to have to put big $ in auctions or high picks in snake drafts to get the guy, that's for sure. I won't be owning him at the prices he commands.
                    Obviously the fact that I jumped him to take the SB leader means I disagree with this, but what outside of injury makes you think he would ever lose his job on the team he is playing for? It isn't like Nicky Lopez is breathing down his neck to take the job. His security is one of his big positives. Im being constructive here and not defensive, because I want to know why you think this, or maybe it was just hyperbole? Or maybe it was just you dont think he will hit 25 HR (which is fine btw)?

Also, Mondesi ADP since Jan 11 is 19th and earliest pick is 12, so 18th is right in line.

Also who are ya picking because Ive got my guy ready to go

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      I did that, but nowhere does it have a place to add your mobile number. And so, I did not receive a text alert.
                      when it was my turn just now, with notifications enabled thru the app, I got a buzz, tone and banner saying it was my turn just like a text on my iphone.

Comment

Obviously the fact that I jumped him to take the SB leader means I disagree with this, but what outside of injury makes you think he would ever lose his job on the team he is playing for? It isn't like Nicky Lopez is breathing down his neck to take the job. His security is one of his big positives. Im being constructive here and not defensive, because I want to know why you think this, or maybe it was just hyperbole? Or maybe it was just you dont think he will hit 25 HR (which is fine btw)?

Also, Mondesi ADP since Jan 11 is 19th and earliest pick is 12, so 18th is right there.

Also who are ya picking because Ive got my guy ready to go
                        He's just an okay player, overall. Despite getting full time ABs he sits at the lower middle of the range of shortstops in terms of WAR over the last couple years. He has one above average skill and that's stealing bases. That's enormously valuable for purposes of fantasy but only marginally valuable for real baseball. Guys who only have one above average skill are at risk of losing their jobs, particularly when that skill isn't a crucial one. He has hit 15 HRs in 161 games thus far so I wouldn't bank on an 80% increase or whatever but he does have skills. I certainly wouldn't avoid drafting him - I just wouldn't pay a premium.

Edit: To be fair, it does appear that he plays good defense. That could keep him going for some time even though he doesn't bring a lot else to the table.

Comment

(granting i punted pitcher in 4 rounds), pairing mondesi with freeman, jimenez and ozuna looks pretty stout

Comment

when it was my turn just now, with notifications enabled thru the app, I got a buzz, tone and banner saying it was my turn just like a text on my iphone.
                            I have everything checked off -- and I'm staring at the draft board as it comes to my turn -- and no text, no buzzers, no nada.

Sent you pics on Slack.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              I have everything checked off -- and I'm staring at the draft board as it comes to my turn -- and no text, no buzzers, no nada.
                              maybe check your phone and the app's notification settings? make sure it isnt blocked

Comment

maybe check your phone and the app's notification settings? make sure it isnt blocked
                                I think that may have been it, lol. But I still don't get any sounds on the PC.

Comment

Working...
                                X