Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
    They should take it... otherwise they'll go back down to $1.25 Bn, or 0
    Won't be zero, but yep, could be a lot less.

The players would win the "nothing less than pro-rated" battle, but lose the overall comp war. Doesn't make sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      They have though.

The first offers from MLB were for $1.25 Bn in total salaries, while the last two offers were for $1.45 Bn in total salary.

If they move it up to $1.6 Bn, I think the players take it.
      If the current default is $1.45 Bn plus a grievance they could win, would they jump at $1.6? And that still isn't all guaranteed from what I have read, although that isn't particularly clear. Given the distrust between the parties, the absolutely guaranteed amount is all that matters--if I were the players, I wouldn't trust the owners to burn if I lit them on fire. That being said, maybe they'll get to something like 70-75 games, full pro-rated. The players would take that. They aren't going to move off of full pro-rated salary.

Comment

• One would also think there is something in it for the owners to make a deal and move a bit---they get an extra round of the playoffs for two years, which is a bunch of extra money, and they avoid the uncertainty of losing the grievance. Normal principles would say they could make a deal in these circumstances, but the trust factor is a problem.

Comment

I'm beginning to hate Rob Manfred.
          He's giving Goodell a run for his money as worst/most hated major sports league commissioner.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
            You think the owners will move off their number (which hasn't changed much at all)? If they don't, I don't see a deal happening---they haven't offered anything appreciably more than what they would pay in a season they impose. Why would the MLBPA give up a grievance for effectively nothing?
            Because if they can't win the Kris Bryant grievance, they certainly have little chance on this one.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• The MLBPA rejected the latest proposal and Tony Clark said they won’t counter and just asked Manfred to impose a schedule of their desired length. “Just tell us when and where.”

Obviously the MLBPA will be filing a grievance, and now we should brace for a 50ish game season.

Comment

The MLBPA rejected the latest proposal and Tony Clark said they won’t counter and just asked Manfred to impose a schedule of their desired length. “Just tell us when and where.”

Obviously the MLBPA will be filing a grievance, and now we should brace for a 50ish game season.
                I was really missing baseball, real and fantasy...but right now I don't care if they shut it down for the season. If i was a player and could financially do it, I'd take the year off.

Comment

• My pool number is 54 games.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                    I was really missing baseball, real and fantasy...but right now I don't care if they shut it down for the season. If i was a player and could financially do it, I'd take the year off.
                    Yup, I feel the same. F them all. They’ve ruined it for everyone.

Comment

• All the owners want is the postseason, that's all this has ever been about. Postseason is the cash cow, and the players hardly get a taste.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

The MLBPA rejected the latest proposal and Tony Clark said they won’t counter and just asked Manfred to impose a schedule of their desired length. “Just tell us when and where.”

Yep. And we had better enjoy it and 2021 because the odds of a 2022 season are dropping by the day.

Comment

• What a depressing turn. I really thought it was all posturing, but I guess it was not. Not only are we left with 1/3 a season, we will have a cloud over the game with a possible lock out in 2022.

Comment

• If the union files a grievance is there a possibility then that there is no season?

Comment

Working...
                            X