Official *MLB Season Delayed* Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    MLB expected to counter today with a 72 game season at 80% of pro-rated pay. So, that means a 58-game season at full pay. Still not enough, but better than 48 games.
    If I'm a worker who can work 50 days for full pay, or work 72 days for the pay of 58 days, unless I'm really hard up for money, I'm gonna work 50 days for 50 days full pay rather than work an extra 22 days for 8 days of pay.

Then, again, I'd gladly work 22 days for 8 days of salary of any professional baseball player. So, yeah, I don't know what players will do with this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      If I'm a worker who can work 50 days for full pay, or work 72 days for the pay of 58 days, unless I'm really hard up for money, I'm gonna work 50 days for 50 days full pay rather than work an extra 22 days for 8 days of pay.

Then, again, I'd gladly work 22 days for 8 days of salary of any professional baseball player. So, yeah, I don't know what players will do with this.
      This is another easy flat-out rejection.

Comment

• The alternative might be zero days for zero salary. Somebody needs to blink or there will be no baseball season this year and an unknown future.

Comment

Is # of games an actual indication of workload though really? And I wonder how many of them would rather play a game than not play a game on a particular day. It may be the inverse of work.

Comment

• This is all on the owners, fuck them.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
              The alternative might be zero days for zero salary. Somebody needs to blink or there will be no baseball season this year and an unknown future.
              The March agreement gave Manfred the ability to impose a season length of his choosing, as long as it is at the full pro-rated amount. We know that before this offer, that was 48 games, and now it's apparently 58 games. The players are under a collectively-bargained CBA, so they have to show up or maybe do a "sick out." But there will be a season.

Is # of games an actual indication of workload though really? And I wonder how many of them would rather play a game than not play a game on a particular day. It may be the inverse of work.
              Right. They're still putting in 100% effort to train. And more games equal more time to improve stats which for impending free agents, could equal more money. So I agree it's that per game rate is probably not a disincentive.

Comment

• All I know is, our league decided we need at least 12 weeks to make a go of it as counting for our keeper league. If it is less, we will do a reddraft and freeze all keeper contracts. I really want it to be a keeper league year, so I'm hoping they get it sorted for 12 weeks/80 games, but it seems unlikely.

Comment

All I know is, our league decided we need at least 12 weeks to make a go of it as counting for our keeper league. If it is less, we will do a reddraft and freeze all keeper contracts. I really want it to be a keeper league year, so I'm hoping they get it sorted for 12 weeks/80 games, but it seems unlikely.
                  Seems strange to look at it beforehand and make rigid rules like that. If it ends up 11.5 weeks and 78 games it's going to be set to redraft because.... things

Might as well wait until they work it out and then make a decision based on the actual data.

Comment

• NEW YORK (AP) — Major League Baseball and its players are moving closer — to a deal or to Commissioner Rob Manfred ordering a shortened season without an agreement.

According to the article:
                    Major League Baseball has offered players 80% of their prorated salaries and a 72-game regular season in an effort to start the pandemic-delayed season, according to details of the proposal obtained Friday by The Associated Press

Players would get 70% of their prorated salaries during the regular season and the rest for completion of the postseason.

Comment

• MLB has also imposed a Sunday night deadline or else they will impose their own shortened season.

In this proposal, the season would start on July 14th and end on September 27th.

Comment

MLB has also imposed a Sunday night deadline or else they will impose their own shortened season.

In this proposal, the season would start on July 14th and end on September 27th.
                        Funny how MLB will slow play things to run out the clock, then insist on a hard deadline. It looks like they will impose a short season, and the MLBPA will file a grievance at this point. MLB simply won't move an appreciable amount from their initial offer.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                          Funny how MLB will slow play things to run out the clock, then insist on a hard deadline. It looks like they will impose a short season, and the MLBPA will file a grievance at this point. MLB simply won't move an appreciable amount from their initial offer.
                          I think they'll come to (surprise surprise) a last second agreement.

Comment

I think they'll come to (surprise surprise) a last second agreement.
                            You think the owners will move off their number (which hasn't changed much at all)? If they don't, I don't see a deal happening---they haven't offered anything appreciably more than what they would pay in a season they impose. Why would the MLBPA give up a grievance for effectively nothing?

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                              You think the owners will move off their number (which hasn't changed much at all)? If they don't, I don't see a deal happening---they haven't offered anything appreciably more than what they would pay in a season they impose. Why would the MLBPA give up a grievance for effectively nothing?
                              They have though.

The first offers from MLB were for $1.25 Bn in total salaries, while the last two offers were for $1.45 Bn in total salary.

If they move it up to $1.6 Bn, I think the players take it.

Comment

They have though.

The first offers from MLB were for $1.25 Bn in total salaries, while the last two offers were for $1.45 Bn in total salary.

If they move it up to $1.6 Bn, I think the players take it.
                                They should take it... otherwise they'll go back down to $1.25 Bn, or 0

Comment

Working...
                                X