No announcement yet.

Official *MLB Season Delayed* Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T Bauer broke down in a series of tweets how owners full on were not negotiating in good faith https://www.freep.com/story/sports/f...ith/111968236/ and the move by T Clark saying, ok owners, just tell us when and where, you tell us, we are ready to play really, and the owners response, laid out how this was just game playing stalling by owners. Not surprised, many on site not surprised, we voted per poll with thought overwhelmingly that we would not have a season.

I think a lot of hard core fans, at least I feel like this, is this year is so tainted, such a clusterbuck, I am ok with no season as its just part of the world going to hell as we reach year 2020 lvl 6 of Jumanji and release the 2 headed murder squirrels and hunker down to restart normalcy in 2021.

Comment

• Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
      restart normalcy in 2021.
      seems naive

Comment

T Bauer broke down in a series of tweets how owners full on were not negotiating in good faith https://www.freep.com/story/sports/f...ith/111968236/ and the move by T Clark saying, ok owners, just tell us when and where, you tell us, we are ready to play really, and the owners response, laid out how this was just game playing stalling by owners. Not surprised, many on site not surprised, we voted per poll with thought overwhelmingly that we would not have a season.

I think a lot of hard core fans, at least I feel like this, is this year is so tainted, such a clusterbuck, I am ok with no season as its just part of the world going to hell as we reach year 2020 lvl 6 of Jumanji and release the 2 headed murder squirrels and hunker down to restart normalcy in 2021.
        Yeah, but what if there can be no fans, or smaller audiences, in 2021? The NBA player's association already believes this will be the case. Then what? What will this offseason look like? Would this bad blood spill into negotiations again?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          Yeah, but what if there can be no fans, or smaller audiences, in 2021? The NBA player's association already believes this will be the case. Then what? What will this offseason look like? Would this bad blood spill into negotiations again?
          My version was more efficient.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
            My version was more efficient.
            True.

Comment

If there's no fans or significantly smaller audiences for 2021, this bad blood will seem like Kumbaya by comparison.

Interesting Twitter you posted. Explains why Manfred has changed his tune.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                If there's no fans or significantly smaller audiences for 2021, this bad blood will seem like Kumbaya by comparison.

Interesting Twitter you posted. Explains why Manfred has changed his tune.
                What happens to the broadcast TV money if there's no season? Have they been paid this already? If so, do they have to give it back, or do a make-good season?

Comment

What happens to the broadcast TV money if there's no season? Have they been paid this already? If so, do they have to give it back, or do a make-good season?
                  They're paid during the year for the national contracts - broadcast contracts typically increase from year to year. Local, like the YES Network, I have no idea.

Comment

T Bauer broke down in a series of tweets how owners full on were not negotiating in good faith https://www.freep.com/story/sports/f...ith/111968236/ and the move by T Clark saying, ok owners, just tell us when and where, you tell us, we are ready to play really, and the owners response, laid out how this was just game playing stalling by owners. Not surprised, many on site not surprised, we voted per poll with thought overwhelmingly that we would not have a season.

Important question - how did the world survive the two headed murder squirrels?

fwiw I kind of feel that Manfred is really just the figurehead trying to negotiate on behalf of 30 billionaire owners, some who care about the game, and some who don't give a shit about it. Don't get me wrong, he's still a dick for taking the job at all, but I figure his chances of coralling these owners is somewhere less than 0.00001%
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                      but I figure his chances of coralling these owners is somewhere less than 0.00001%
                      Which is usually the MLBPA's problem - there's more players and a far larger education gap among the players. On one hand, I'm encouraged to see the shoe on the other foot; tells me Tony Clark is doing at least a very good job and possibly an exemplary one.

I also really wonder what Manfred's dilemma is. Does he not have enough votes from the owners (meaning at least 8 owners oppose starting the season)? Is it less, but the holdouts have told him they won't participate and if he tries to take their franchises, they'll tie MLB in legal knots? Or, did they never have enough owner votes and was MLB just engaging in a stone cold bluff in negotiations, hoping to blame failure on the players?

Comment

Which is usually the MLBPA's problem - there's more players and a far larger education gap among the players. On one hand, I'm encouraged to see the shoe on the other foot; tells me Tony Clark is doing at least a very good job and possibly an exemplary one.

I also really wonder what Manfred's dilemma is. Does he not have enough votes from the owners (meaning at least 8 owners oppose starting the season)? Is it less, but the holdouts have told him they won't participate and if he tries to take their franchises, they'll tie MLB in legal knots? Or, did they never have enough owner votes and was MLB just engaging in a stone cold bluff in negotiations, hoping to blame failure on the players?
                        I think they know if Manfred enacted a shortened season, they'd stand a good chance of losing a grievance, thus ensuring a loss of money. But if the season is cancelled altogether, the March agreement specifically states the players cannot sue for their full salaries in exchange for a year's worth of service time.

From what I've read on the topic, most broadcast networks don't have a good chance of getting a refund on the money they've paid already, so a cancelled season would equal a huge profit for the clubs. Unreal.

Comment

I think they know if Manfred enacted a shortened season, they'd stand a good chance of losing a grievance, thus ensuring a loss of money. But if the season is cancelled altogether, the March agreement specifically states the players cannot sue for their full salaries in exchange for a year's worth of service time.
                          Very good point. We disagree on the odds of the owners losing a grievance, but even if we throw out a big range - say 20-50% chance of losing - that's a whole lot more risk weighted dollars than zero.

From what I've read on the topic, most broadcast networks don't have a good chance of getting a refund on the money they've paid already, so a cancelled season would equal a huge profit for the clubs. Unreal.
                          Yeah, anytime a contract ends up in Force Majeureland, it gets really messy really fast. So I suspect you're right on the money paid in; I just didn't think it would be that much, especially for the smaller market teams. Moreover, I'm surprised it would be at all impactful relative to the damage they'll undoubtedly do to team value. With the exception of the Rangers - who have to do just about anything right now to stay cash-positive - I can't see this as a good deal for any other ownership group, even the Marlins.

Comment

With the exception of the Rangers - who have to do just about anything right now to stay cash-positive.
                            Yeah, this is so infuriating - first Tim Hicks, and now these clowns. Why can't Texas get owners who can afford to run a team?

Comment

• Whoa

Comment

• The question is how many games, which is probably why there is no deal yet. Owners were always going to get expanded playoffs in a deal, and players were always going to get full pro-rata.

Comment

Working...
                                X