Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RHD's Latest Top 150 Roto Prospects ("Pre-MLB Draft" Version)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    not really, considering Betts can play the infield from RF. that would make him either really tall or really fast.
    Good point!

I meant hitter - I'm not sure how infielder came out of that.

Comment

He was an infielder in the minors, for what that's worth.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
        Got 21 of 54 (really 22 because I typed Griffey but didnt give me credit because I didnt type ", Jr."). Some of these were impossible - like who would have thought that Tim Foli was a #1 overall choice? Bill Almon? And who the heck is Al Chambers?

Overkill's 33 is amazing.
        Random trivia's kind of my thing - it's how I won on jeopardy

I think the one I'm most disappointed in myself about is Phil Nevin. His rookie cards were during my baseball card collecting heyday so he was definitely one to remember.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post

I think the one I'm most disappointed in myself about is Phil Nevin. His rookie cards were during my baseball card collecting heyday so he was definitely one to remember.
          I ruined many a baseball career by loading up on their rookie cards in the 1990's. So sorry, Rick Ankiel and Ruben Mateo. It's all my fault.

Comment

How many times did you win?

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
              I ruined many a baseball career by loading up on their rookie cards in the 1990's. So sorry, Rick Ankiel and Ruben Mateo. It's all my fault.
              Actually you ruined your baseball card collection by loading up on cards from the 90s. Most cards produced during the 80s through the 90s were so overproduced they are absolutely worthless. With the exception of some basketball cards (86 & 87 fleer, Star, etc.). During the popularity of card collecting in the 80s and 90s a collector would have been better off going after vintage cards from prior to 1979.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
                Actually you ruined your baseball card collection by loading up on cards from the 90s. Most cards produced during the 80s through the 90s were so overproduced they are absolutely worthless. With the exception of some basketball cards (86 & 87 fleer, Star, etc.). During the popularity of card collecting in the 80s and 90s a collector would have been better off going after vintage cards from prior to 1979.
                Even those have lost value. Yet another thing the Baby Boomers ruined
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  Even those have lost value. Yet another thing the Baby Boomers ruined
                  The baby boomers have their faults, but it doesn't compare to the entitled Millennials and the whatever the current generation is called group of social justice warriors who need trigger warnings and safe spaces

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
                    Yes, no doubt. But not only was it all a complete waste of my money, but I also, sadly, ruined a bunch of careers.

Signed,
                    The Guy who also invested way more than I will admit in Donovan McNabb rookie cards of all types (graded, limited print, etc)

P.S. Don't worry Carson Wentz...you are safe. If I had invested in your rookie cards, you would've needed your leg amputated.

Comment

How many times did you win?
                      Just once. This was back in 2014.

Comment

Just once. This was back in 2014.
                        Which episode was it so that we may see your epic win?

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                          Yes, no doubt. But not only was it all a complete waste of my money, but I also, sadly, ruined a bunch of careers.

Signed,
                          The Guy who also invested way more than I will admit in Donovan McNabb rookie cards of all types (graded, limited print, etc)

P.S. Don't worry Carson Wentz...you are safe. If I had invested in your rookie cards, you would've needed your leg amputated.
                          I've still got a package of 100 Upper Deck Wes Chamberlain cards
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Which episode was it so that we may see your epic win?
                            There was a thread about it!

He played a few weeks after the legendary Arthur Chu's run.
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Nathaniel Lowe is having quite the season. He did start off a little old for his level at 22 in A ball, but has done even better since being promoted to AA. His numbers are crazy good. If he keeps it up, I gotta think he gets top 150 consideration. With McKay clearly ahead as a pitcher at this point rather than a 1bman, outside of maybe Peter Alonso, I can't think of a 1b prospect I'd rather have right now. By year's end, if Alonso graduates, Lowe could very well be the top 1b prospect in baseball.

As an aside, I'm always amazed when siblings make the pros. Is it nature, nurture--gotta be both. I mean, the odds of making it are so slim, even if you put the work in.
                              Last edited by Sour Masher; 06-18-2018, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                                Nathaniel Lowe is having quite the season. He did start off a little old for his level at 22 in A ball, but has done even better since being promoted to AA. His numbers are crazy good. If he keeps it up, I gotta think he gets top 150 consideration. With McKay clearly ahead as a pitcher at this point rather than a 1bman, outside of maybe Peter Alonso, I can't think of a 1b prospect I'd rather have right now. By year's end, if Alonso graduates, Lowe could very well be the top 1b prospect in baseball.

As an aside, I'm always amazed when siblings make the pros. Is it nature, nurture--gotta be both. I mean, the odds of making it are so slim, even if you put the work in.
                                Thanx for the response, SourMasher.

Lowe is having a very good season but he's quite a ways from making my list at present. It's hard for me to get excited about 1B prospects and he'll likely appear on other lists before he appears on mine. And there are many other 1B prospects that I'd give as much or more consideration to.

Re: siblings, I thought for a bit about those who have made it to MLB. From my O's, there were the Ripken brothers, but Cal was much better than Billy. Also, Eddie Murray had a brother (Rich) that got a cup of coffee w the Dodgers IIRC. There are more examples of elite players who had a brother who made it to MLB but wasnt noteworthy. Hank Aaron had a brother, Tommie, who played briefly in MLB. George Brett had a brother, Ken, who pitched for several years in MLB but not too many remember him. Tony Gwynn had a brother, Chris, who played for a while. Ken Griffey, Jr. also had a brother, Craig, who played - not sure whether he made it to MLB or not.

Rarer are brothers who both had very good MLB careers. The Perry brothers, Gaylord and Jim, are one example. Gaylord is a HOFer and I dont remember whether Jim is or not but would have been close. Dizzy and Daffy Dean I think both are in the HOF. Old-timers Bob and Irish Meusel were both HR hitters in an era when practically noone was hitting HRs except Babe Ruth. Bob is in the HOF and I forget whether Irish is or not. Bret and Aaron Boone both had very good MLB careers. Phil Niekro is a HOFer and brother Joe might be, too. Paul and LLoyd Waner are both in the HOF (Big and Little Poison). Joe DiMaggio of course is a HOFer but perhaps not many realize that brother Dom is, too.

Seems like most of these cases are old-timers. Maybe that indicates that nurture is becoming more significant than nature.

Comment

Working...
                                X