2K19: Closer and Bullpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
    Roberto Osuna was 20 and Edwin Diaz was 22.
    both AL, so they don't count.
    I mean in the REAL league!
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      both AL, so they don't count.
      I mean in the REAL league!
      Not many in the NL. The AL also had Huston Street and Neftali Feliz this century. It looks like the last ones in the NL were Chad Cordero, who was 22 for the 2004 Expos, Byung-Hyun Kim, who was 21 when he took over closing for the Diamondbacks in 2000, and before him Neil Allen for the Mets and Steve Howe for the Dodgers were both 22 in 1980.

Link to query
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• wow, mjl, great work! and I owned Cordero and Kim.

I was in a bar in Chicago, mid-April I guess, in the early 1990s, and my buddy said that guy over there looked familiar.
        one of those "you know he's an athlete, but out of uniform?"
        he realizes it's Steve Howe - in town for a NYY/Sox series, and drinking Bud and doing shots around his 8th suspension. he didn't last much longer.

in 1986, we ran across Neil Allen - ex-Met and Cardinal, then a Yankee, at Who's On First near Fenway Park after a game. we had been cut off, so Neil agreed to order 8 beers to help us out, even though we was alone. he giggled, and he got his beer - but we got tossed.

earlier that night, we ran across Billy Martin and pitching coach/drinking buddy Art Fowler in the same place. wow, that was a rough watch. two guys who seemed to be on death's door. Billy didn't last much longer.

if you're young and you wish you ran across MLB players in the local bars - you are 20 years too late, for many reasons.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
          Not many in the NL. The AL also had Huston Street and Neftali Feliz this century. It looks like the last ones in the NL were Chad Cordero, who was 22 for the 2004 Expos, Byung-Hyun Kim, who was 21 when he took over closing for the Diamondbacks in 2000, and before him Neil Allen for the Mets and Steve Howe for the Dodgers were both 22 in 1980.

Link to query
          REALLY INSIGHTFUL POST ALERT: My league always announced his name at the draft as "Bung-Hole Kim" because we are mature that way.

Comment

• Hand to the Indians, reportly, for Mejia, which is a shockingly good return for a guy with the mileage Hand has. I assume Allen will still close, but he has been shaky lately, so who knows?

I traded a cheap Hand for a very pricey Chapman in anticipation of this move, but I also gave the guy a cheap Yates as insurance, so I imagine he ain't too mad about it. He knew the risks, and Yates has been good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              Hand to the Indians, reportly, for Mejia, which is a shockingly good return for a guy with the mileage Hand has. I assume Allen will still close, but he has been shaky lately, so who knows?

I traded a cheap Hand for a very pricey Chapman in anticipation of this move, but I also gave the guy a cheap Yates as insurance, so I imagine he ain't too mad about it. He knew the risks, and Yates has been good.
              Tribe were desperate - very good team - good defense - maybe 3 hitters with 40 plus HR BUT A GOD FORSAKEN HORRIBLE BULLPEN.

With Miller still iffy - they had to do something - plus both Allen and Miller free agents after this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
                Tribe were desperate - very good team - good defense - maybe 3 hitters with 40 plus HR BUT A GOD FORSAKEN HORRIBLE BULLPEN.

With Miller still iffy - they had to do something - plus both Allen and Miller free agents after this year.
                Yeah, just realized that the other guy is likely to end up with two cheap closers in the deal long term. He was dumping this year, so it works out for him. I imagine the Indians are gonna let Hand close next year given what they paid for him.

Comment

Hand to the Indians, reportly, for Mejia, which is a shockingly good return for a guy with the mileage Hand has. I assume Allen will still close, but he has been shaky lately, so who knows?

Last night I traded an expiring Hand to the Yates owner for an expiring and more expensive Jansen...I wonder if I made a bad decision, as he now may have 2 closers for the price of one.

Comment

• I don't think Hand closes this year. He is more versatile than Allen. I think Hand WILL close in 2019, though.

Comment

I don't think Hand closes this year. He is more versatile than Allen. I think Hand WILL close in 2019, though.
                      Hand is a definite hold in dynasty leagues (no contracts), even if he doesn't close this year.

Comment

• Sounds like Familia is getting dealt to Oakland.

Comment

• The Mejia trade hasnt worked out too well tonite for Cleveland. Hand came in w a 3-run lead and 1 on and gave up a 2-R HR to Gallo, the 1st batter he faced. He got the next 3 batters, however, including a K. Then Cimber came in for 2/3 inn., giving up a hit but no runs. Then Cody Allen for the save in the 9th and w a 2-run lead he gave up back-t-back solo HRs to Chirinos and Gallo to blow the save then a hit to Profar and a walk to Choo before finally getting Calhoun to end the inning. Allen continues to struggle and Miller is not back yet. Does Hand get the next chance? Or maybe Cimber (who I know nothing about)?

Edit: Further pen problems in the 10th. McAllister loaded the bases w/o getting an out but somehow wiggled out w/o letting a run score.

2nd edit: Cleveland won this game in extras and Otero, who also has been pretty bad this yr, got the save, the 3rd of his career.
                          Last edited by rhd; 07-21-2018, 12:13 AM.

Comment

• Complete meltdown by Archie Bradley tonite. Came in in the 7th w an 8-5 lead, gave up 6 runs, never did get the 3rd out and was pulled.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                              Complete meltdown by Archie Bradley tonite. Came in in the 7th w an 8-5 lead, gave up 6 runs, never did get the 3rd out and was pulled.
                              I had him and Lester going yesterday. My ERA shot up from 3.28 to 3.41 from those two wonderful pitching performance.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                                The Mejia trade hasnt worked out too well tonite for Cleveland. Hand came in w a 3-run lead and 1 on and gave up a 2-R HR to Gallo, the 1st batter he faced. He got the next 3 batters, however, including a K. Then Cimber came in for 2/3 inn., giving up a hit but no runs. Then Cody Allen for the save in the 9th and w a 2-run lead he gave up back-t-back solo HRs to Chirinos and Gallo to blow the save then a hit to Profar and a walk to Choo before finally getting Calhoun to end the inning. Allen continues to struggle and Miller is not back yet. Does Hand get the next chance? Or maybe Cimber (who I know nothing about)?

Edit: Further pen problems in the 10th. McAllister loaded the bases w/o getting an out but somehow wiggled out w/o letting a run score.

2nd edit: Cleveland won this game in extras and Otero, who also has been pretty bad this yr, got the save, the 3rd of his career.
                                I watched the game it was 107 at start and got down to 101- I give all a pass - Bauer started the game and had all sorts of trouble controlling his curve/slider. So I don't know how much the ungodly heat was causing issued - the announcer ( ex-player) made it sound like it had some effect.

Comment

Working...
                                X