2K19: Closer and Bullpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
    would add Diego Castillo from TB in preparation of Romo and Roe being dealt this month
    Would he move ahead of Alvarado?

Comment

• Who do you guys like for saves ROS - Will Smith or Victor Arano? Why?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
        Who do you guys like for saves ROS - Will Smith or Victor Arano? Why?
        Probably Arano? I think Smith will get most of the saves for the next five weeks (maybe 4-7 depending on if someone steals one or two and how the Giants do) and then be replaced by Strickland, and Arano might get one every week or two for the rest of the season. That said, Smith will probably get a higher density of saves until mid-August and then you could cut him and pick up someone else.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Who do you guys like for saves ROS - Will Smith or Victor Arano? Why?
          I'd take my chances on Smith because he looks to be the current closer and might hold onto the job for the ROS while Arano looks to be the second best reliever in PHI atm.

Comment

• Does your answer change if I already have Dominguez?

I’m thinking Smith to diversify vs Arano to lock up PHI saves.

Comment

• based on usage so far, I don't see Arano as having a better hold on the odd SV than just-returned Neshek, or maybe even ERamos. he
              is good, though.

I like the idea of rack up WSmith SV for now, then dump him for the next pretty young closer-in-waiting to try to double your fun....
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Does your answer change if I already have Dominguez?

I’m thinking Smith to diversify vs Arano to lock up PHI saves.
                Smith is the one who gives you a shot at owning 2 closers.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

• Major meltdown by Cody Allen tonite. Wasnt even a save situation as he was handed a 4-0 lead after a beautiful game by Trevor Bauer. He let in 3 runs while he was in, left w the bases loaded and Otero let in all 3 runners and 1 of his own and Cleveland loses 7-4. Allen's line: 0.7IP, 3H, 2BB, K, HBP, 6ER, L. Indians have got to fix their bullpen problems if they want to do anything in the playoffs.

Comment

• (from Bleacher Report)
                    The Cleveland Indians owe part of their 7-4 defeat to the Cincinnati Reds on Tuesday to a miscommunication between manager Terry Francona and pitching coach Carl Willis.

According to The Athletic's Zack Meisel:
                    "Why Dan Otero instead of Oliver Perez in the ninth? Terry Francona told Carl Willis to call for “OP” on the bullpen phone. Willis thought he said “OT.” When Otero entered, Francona was surprised."

"Votto vs. righties this season: .332/.454/.507 slash line"
                    "Votto vs. lefties this season: .216/.370/.324 slash line"

The Indians allowed seven runs in the ninth inning to spoil Trevor Bauer's excellent start. Although Otero was only charged with one earned run, he allowed a three-run double to Joey Votto that gave the Reds a 6-4 lead.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Ken Giles just got optioned to AAA Fresno.......ugh. Doubt I will hang on to him now, even if he does regain the closer role later (yeah right).

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                        Ken Giles just got optioned to AAA Fresno.......ugh. Doubt I will hang on to him now, even if he does regain the closer role later (yeah right).
                        And allegedly shouted obscenities at his World Series-winning manager on his way out. Not wise.
                        12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
                        1B-Cron
                        2B- Villar
                        SS- Andrus
                        3B-Baez
                        MI-L. Gurriel
                        CI- Y.Gurriel
                        OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
                        UTIL- Benintendi
                        BENCH: Pence, Dyson
                        SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
                        RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
                        IL: Buxton

Comment

• Originally posted by Msaint View Post
                          And allegedly shouted obscenities at his World Series-winning manager on his way out. Not wise.
                          Well, that WILL help you get an all expense paid, one way ticket to charming Fresno...
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            Well, that WILL help you get an all expense paid, one way ticket to charming Fresno...
                            Aren't baseball managers used to this sort of behavior? Don't they typically just label such temper tantrums as intensity and passion when they think the player is ready to come back to help the team?
                            Last edited by Sour Masher; 07-11-2018, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              I'd bet he gets traded.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                                Aren't baseball managers used to this sort of behavior? Don't they typically just label such temper tantrums as intensity and passion f and when they think the player is ready to come back to help the team?
                                I'm guessing that it's got as much to do with Giles performance as his little hissy fits. These are the World Champions, and they aim to repeat...if a player is putting himself apart from the team, he's going to be gone.

Giles performance reminds me of a great quote by Gary Gaetti of the Twins back in '84. They were somehow still in the race on the last weekend of the season, and Gaetti made an error on a throw to 1st to lose the game..."“It’s hard to throw with both hands wrapped around your throat.” Loved the rat (his nickname, because of, well, his looks), and of course, the nucleus of that club went on to win two WS titles.
                                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X