2K19: Closer and Bullpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by whalewang View Post
    Who's the better play for the year for saves between Melancon or Tony Watson? I can only keep one.
    I'm 100% serious in saying, who the fuck knows, but if I had to pick, I'd say Melancon, as Watson has been used more as Bochys "hammer" (this is the AB that could change the game vs get me the last 3 outs). If Melancon is healthy, I think Bochy would love to give him the 9th.

Bochy has not be afraid to have Watson, and his other lefty, Smith come in as early as the 7th if thats the critical moment
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Really good feedback on the Giants bullpen. Thanks all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vecmizer View Post
        Jimenez blows it with a horrible 9th inning. Up one he gives up a hit and 3 walks to walk in the tying run.
        Given where the Tigers are, I would imagine they'll give Jimenez some decent leash before just handing it off to someone who they don't view as "the closer of the future". Many had been predicting that Greene would be traded anyway.

Comment

• The Dodgers Caleb Ferguson pitched three scoreless innings to get the save in a 17-1 win against the Pirates on Monday. Because those are the rules.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• there was an Orioles game years ago with a bigger score and a worse relief performance in this scenario.

or ty this one: 8-3, bottom 9, bases loaded, 2 outs. in comes a reliever, who allows a grand slam, a double, and hits two batters to load the bases. next batter hits a rocket to the warning track, but the CF hauls it in.

SAVE!
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• I wondered if the 16 run differential was a record for a save. And it wasn't even close.

During the 2007 season, Wes Littleton pitched the last three innings of the Rangers’ 30-3 win against Baltimore to get the save with a 27 run margin of victory.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                I wondered if the 16 run differential was a record for a save. And it wasn't even close.

During the 2007 season, Wes Littleton pitched the last three innings of the Rangers’ 30-3 win against Baltimore to get the save with a 27 run margin of victory.
                That's nuts. Baseball is so whacky, as are some of its stats.

Comment

• Another chapter written tonite in the continuing saga of "Mets Are Bad". Wheeler (my guy) had a 6-1 lead in the 7th w 1 out, gave up a single and was pulled. The pen (Swarzak then Gsellman) promptly lets in 5 runs to blow yet another win for my pitcher, capped by a Solarte 3-run HR. Rally was apparently aided somehow by an error by Jose Bautista (why is he on this team?). Then they (Tim Peterson) give up 2 more runs in the 8th and lose 8-6.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                    Another chapter written tonite in the continuing saga of "Mets Are Bad". Wheeler (my guy) had a 6-1 lead in the 7th w 1 out, gave up a single and was pulled. The pen (Swarzak then Gsellman) promptly lets in 5 runs to blow yet another win for my pitcher, capped by a Solarte 3-run HR. Rally was apparently aided somehow by an error by Jose Bautista (why is he on this team?). Then they (Tim Peterson) give up 2 more runs in the 8th and lose 8-6.
                    The utter ineptitude of the Mets made me give up/give away Wheeler in a deal, before realizing he could be traded to a less inept team, which would increase his value. He has pitched surprisingly well this year, as has his team, and long time favorite of mine, Matz. If there were on other teams, each would probably have 4-5 more wins.

Comment

• credit to the Mets TV station for keep going back to a dazed and confused Wheeler, leaving with a 6-2 lead, in the dugout.

he (understandably) showed no signs of hope even then. the back-breaking 3-run, 2-out, 2-strike HR to make it 6-6 didn't even change his expression.

Calloway is the worst manager I have ever seen, by every measure.

an AL guy, he doesn't even know to double-switch. and he has this new age blather that nobody on the team is buying.

he won't light into the team. and worse yet, he has the best TV booth in baseball critiquing him.

Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling do not rush to judgment - or holler. but they are vivisecting Calloway now on a daily basis, and the owners now they are powerless there.

both have plenty of money, so if they are offered a muzzle - they will quit, and the fan boycott could be epic.
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• JJ I could not agree more (though perhaps this should move to the Mets thread). It is so demoralizing to watch any of their games.

Sour Masher - You think Wheeler or Matz would have 4-5 wins more? Try DeGrom!

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                          Rally was apparently aided somehow by an error by Jose Bautista (why is he on this team?).
                          It was so that we could have a party when you came to Toronto. Now that's taken care of, you can go ahead & cut him.

Seriously, I have no idea why he's on a ml team.
                          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                            It was so that we could have a party when you came to Toronto. Now that's taken care of, you can go ahead & cut him.

Seriously, I have no idea why he's on a ml team.
                            The Mets can't seem to figure out what direction to go in. Should we go for it or should we commit to a rebuild? I believe most of the baseball pundits know the answer to that.

Comment

• Trading Deadline; Always the worst time of the year for good closers. I worry about Hand getting dealt to someplace like Boston so I picked up Kirby Yates. If yo're going to lose one, might as well gain one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
                                Trading Deadline; Always the worst time of the year for good closers. I worry about Hand getting dealt to someplace like Boston so I picked up Kirby Yates. If yo're going to lose one, might as well gain one.
                                I'm in the same boat. The real kicker, though, is the Padres could trade both Hand AND Yates.

Comment

Working...
                                X