No announcement yet.

2K17: Closer and Bullpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe Blanton signs with the Nats, giving them one more option for their closer mess, and I guess reducing the odds they trade for David Robertson?

Comment

GOODYEAR, Ariz. – For baseball’s oldest franchise, it’s fitting that a new idea is really an old one in disguise.

Reds manager Bryan Price has talked about it since the middle of last season. He doesn’t want to get “cliché” with his bullpen, he said. And with a pair of young former starters ready to take over the late innings in Raisel Iglesias and Michael Lorenzen, the Reds are poised to have a set of alternating, multi-inning closers.

Comment

Sam Dyson (TEX) is often near the bottom of these closer lists. Who is the handcuff there? Matt Bush? Keone Kela? FanGraphs seems to be pretty bullish on Bush (and less so on Kela).

Comment

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
          Sam Dyson (TEX) is often near the bottom of these closer lists. Who is the handcuff there? Matt Bush? Keone Kela? FanGraphs seems to be pretty bullish on Bush (and less so on Kela).
          Matt Bush has the chops to get it done

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
            Matt Bush has the chops to get it done
            He does, though I think they'll turn first to the guy with "real closing experience" in Jeffress.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              He does, though I think they'll turn first to the guy with "real closing experience" in Jeffress.
              I don't see that from the Texas honestly.

2016 closer Sam Dyson had 0 saves before coming to TX.
              2015 closer Shawn Tolleson had 0 saves before coming to TX.
              2014 closer Joakim Soria had not closed since 2011

The Rangers seem to try to put their best reliever in the closer role, regardless of past history.

It's starting to look like that may be Bush and if Dyson starts to falter I could see Bush in the role quickly.
              Last edited by Ken; 03-01-2017, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Rankings courtesy of closermonkey:

Tier 1
                1. Kenley Jansen
                2. Aroldis Chapman
                3. Zach Britton

Analysis: Not much to say about these guys. For the sake of semantics, we have Jansen above Chapman mainly because the Dodgers could win 100 games. Britton slots in behind them because his strikeout totals won’t be as high.

Tier 2
                4. Wade Davis
                5. Seung-Hwan Oh
                6. Craig Kimbrel
                7. Edwin Diaz
                8. Mark Melancon
                9. Kelvin Herrera
                10. Ken Giles
                11. Roberto Osuna
                12. Cody Allen

Analysis: With one exception, these guys all fit the blueprint for a model closer in 2017: Strikeout artists who are largely successful at keeping the ball in the ballpark. Mark Melancon is the only guy who doesn’t fit that mold, strikeout-wise, but his cutter has so much movement that hitters can’t make good contact, allowing him to defy his metrics for years. The most interesting name on this list is Edwin Diaz, whose numbers from last year projected over a full season are pretty staggering. He’ll have to prove he can handle the rigors of a full season, but his upside is tremendous.

Tier 3
                13. David Robertson
                14. AJ Ramos
                15. Jeurys Familia
                16. Sam Dyson
                17. Alex Colome

Analysis: Everyone here is likely to be reliable, though they’ve all got a question mark or two that keeps them from cracking the second tier. Respectively, those question marks are: trade rumors, a great supporting cast that will result in a quick hook if he struggles, a likely suspension, meh strikeout totals, and a revitalized Brad Boxberger.

Tier 4
                18. Tony Watson
                19. Jim Johnson
                20. Francisco Rodriguez

Analysis: Eh they’ll be fine. You know, probably.

Tier 5
                21. Neftali Feliz
                22. Raisel Iglesias
                23. Ryan Madson
                24. Adam Ottavino
                25. Shawn Kelley
                26. Huston Street
                27. Brandon Maurer
                28. Fernando Rodney

Analysis: Now we’re getting down to the moneymakers. Every year, a couple closers in everyone’s bottom 10 wind up having perfectly decent, or even good, seasons, and the people who took them get great value for their late draft picks. The players on this list to watch most closely are Adam Ottavino and Shawn Kelley, who would move up a tier or two if they win the closer role out of Spring Training.

Tier 6
                29. Brandon Kintzler
                30. Jeanmar Gomez

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Huston Street getting an MRI after experiencing right triceps irritation. Time to bump up Bedrosian.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                    Huston Street getting an MRI after experiencing right triceps irritation. Time to bump up Bedrosian.
                    Angels general manager Billy Eppler said Saturday that Huston Street was diagnosed with a Grade one lat strain.
                    He won't throw for the next 3-4 weeks before being re-evaluated. This certainly puts Opening day in jeopardy for him and opens the door for Cam Bedrosian or Andrew Bailey to begin the season in the closer's role.
                    Source: Pedro Moura on TwitterMar 4 - 12:25 PM

Comment

The Nationals haven't announced a closer yet, and though he's a bit of a dark horse because he's young and basically played at every level of the majors last year, Koda Glover has pitched three innings in ST so far with one hit, no walks, and seven Ks.
                      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Who do you have as the Cubs' backup closer? I think it's Rondon, but they've also got Koji and Strop and, oh by the way, the guy who closed out game 7 of the World Series.

Comment

I'd be shocked if it wasn't Rondon. On most teams, he'd be the clear closer.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                            Who do you have as the Cubs' backup closer? I think it's Rondon, but they've also got Koji and Strop and, oh by the way, the guy who closed out game 7 of the World Series.
                            Everything I hear (and read) is Rondon is the backup closer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                              I'd be shocked if it wasn't Rondon. On most teams, he'd be the clear closer.
                              Same here, though there is the Maddon factor to consider
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                                I think that it's going to be Either Uehara or CJ Edwards...for some reason Maddon just doesn't seem to trust Rondon.
                                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X