2017 RJ Mock One Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    Hope no more as he was taken in round 4.

What did I sign up for here???!!!
    Welcome to Mock One Hammer!
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• I thought it was interesting that Round 5 was the "Round of Relief Pitching". Four out of the sixteen picks, and the first relievers chosen. Is that about par for the mock drafts?

How far can you go down into the depth of starting pitchers before it becomes basically a crap shoot?
      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
        I thought it was interesting that Round 5 was the "Round of Relief Pitching". Four out of the sixteen picks, and the first relievers chosen. Is that about par for the mock drafts?

How far can you go down into the depth of starting pitchers before it becomes basically a crap shoot?
        I've been in a 16-tm redraft league for 20 years, and yeah, the relievers typically go around there. There should be another wave in Rd 6/7.

As far as SPs, I think there's a good 60 SPs on the board before that happens.

Comment

• I'm surprised more relievers haven't gone yet to be honest. There are really a lot of question marks at the Closer position TY and in a deep league such as this "would be" it would be tough to acquire saves on the wire as you'd really need to invest ahead with setup men and the benches aren't that deep really. Plus, with only 8 active P slots that is one less on the roster. I'm probably struggling most what to think about only 8 P slots and how I would truly handle this. What I "think" I would try and do in full transparency is get 2 strong closers and then just draft a bunch of SP planning to stream.

I am tracking our draft relative to NFBC ADPs which isn't exactly right but seems like a similar setup and depth. Closers definitely seem to go higher in NFBC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
            I'm surprised more relievers haven't gone yet to be honest. There are really a lot of question marks at the Closer position TY and in a deep league such as this "would be" it would be tough to acquire saves on the wire as you'd really need to invest ahead with setup men and the benches aren't that deep really. Plus, with only 8 active P slots that is one less on the roster. I'm probably struggling most what to think about only 8 P slots and how I would truly handle this. What I "think" I would try and do in full transparency is get 2 strong closers and then just draft a bunch of SP planning to stream.

I am tracking our draft relative to NFBC ADPs which isn't exactly right but seems like a similar setup and depth. Closers definitely seem to go higher in NFBC.
            I jumped Diaz a bit, but being on the turn, I knew that the rest of the 2nd tier closers would be gone by my next pick, and I definitely wanted one.

Had this been NFBC, and if I was picking at 75/76, I'd probably be getting the LAST of the 2nd tier closers, not the first.

I'll be joining an NFBC league soon, and this is always good prep, but we definitely value power and devalue pitching.

Comment

• Yeah - you wouldn't have gotten Diaz on your next pick which is bad thing about picks at or near the turn (as I have as well). There are 30+ picks between your selections so you almost have to assume everyone will be gone that you are considering.

I want to do a 50-round draft and hold NFBC but being in 3 leagues is enough right now. I'm treating this mock as I would a NFBC draft though fwiw and will likely find I'm screwed in SP but want to see what happens if I execute this strategy to completion. Ideally I would do a Santana plan and have 1 true ace but that wasn't meant to be.

Comment

• So Hornsby complained a few days ago about the timeframe allowed on a repick, and I responded it should be four hours. He now needs to repick and is approaching 4 hours. Do we skip?

Comment

• At this point I'd say no. We are still several weeks from pitchers and catchers so if this takes a bit longer so be it. The pace isn't bothering me but then this isn't my first slow draft here.....

Comment

• Yes skip. We always have moved on before when a bad pick is submitted. This is also the 3rd or 4th bad pick and we are only in the 6th rd. People need to search the draft thread before a pick is posted.
                    Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                      So Hornsby complained a few days ago about the timeframe allowed on a repick, and I responded it should be four hours. He now needs to repick and is approaching 4 hours. Do we skip?
                      Yeah, please skip me, because I'm the reason that this mess is so effing slow...
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        Yeah, please skip me, because I'm the reason that this mess is so effing slow...
                        So you want to propose rules, but just not have it apply to you. Got it.

And as far as speeding "this mess" up, what else do you propose?

Comment

So you want to propose rules, but just not have it apply to you. Got it.

And as far as speeding "this mess" up, what else do you propose?
                          A.) I proposed nothing, I didn't even call out Fresno when he went AWOL pretty much for the whole draft.

B.) I joined under the idea that this would be a Mock as it's always been, one that's played out. That was changed after people started joining, so that led to more disinterest.

C.) I'd wager that I've picked more promptly than anyone else in this draft so far, so to call me out as one who should be skipped is petty bullshit, IMO.

D.) Speeding this mess up could have happened with time limits and prompt penalties for those who missed their pick. But that ship has sailed.
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

A.) I proposed nothing, I didn't even call out Fresno when he went AWOL pretty much for the whole draft.

B.) I joined under the idea that this would be a Mock as it's always been, one that's played out. That was changed after people started joining, so that led to more disinterest.

C.) I'd wager that I've picked more promptly than anyone else in this draft so far, so to call me out as one who should be skipped is petty bullshit, IMO.

D.) Speeding this mess up could have happened with time limits and prompt penalties for those who missed their pick. But that ship has sailed.
                            Outside of this discussion - who did you end up picking instead of Davis?

** Nevermind I see you switched to Khris. Nice!

Comment

This was what you posted when Fresno went AWOL on a re-pick.

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              So how long do we wait for a re-pick? I can sense a definite waning of interest as we go along choosing less than a round a day.
                              Is this your first mock draft? We never skip in the first few rounds. So this ship definitely has not sailed.

And I'm not seeing, besides Fresno, any real disinterest. Can you point it out?

Comment

And I'm not seeing, besides Fresno, any real disinterest. Can you point it out?
                                Interest or disinterest, just want to say thanks for organizing revo. There's always complaints with anything put together but I appreciate you taking the time to organize this. It's useful and interesting to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X