Value of Kepler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow, outstanding analysis.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

btw, if you didn't read the article (which you should, it has a lot of really cool video clips and pictures of his different swings), this is the money quote:

Over on our leaderboards, we’ve got numbers derived from PITCHf/x data that help show how successful or unsuccessful each batter is against each type of pitch, per 100 pitches. To find balance, I simply did the following: set a minimum of 200 plate appearances for a pool of 278 batters, and filtered for only players who have been above-average this season against each of the four major pitch types: fastballs, sliders, changeups and curves. This left me with a list of 24 names, including guys like David Ortiz, Francisco Lindor, Edwin Encarnacion, Paul Goldschmidt. Balanced hitters.

Kepler was on the list, too, and his values in particular stand out: he’s been +3.2 runs above average per 100 fastballs, +2.8 against sliders, +3.5 against curves, and +4.0 against changes. So I filtered one more time, in this instance looking for players who’ve been at least +2.0 runs above average against all four pitch types.

Here is the entire list:

Max Kepler
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

If you add that analysis to the Reggie Jackson story and you get a thinking man's hitter. Sort of a Dallas Kuechel at the plate. It's not exactly what I expected but I'll take it.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
        X