Value of Kepler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value of Kepler

I'm in a good position in my AL only, 10-team, 5x5 league; in third two points out with very strong hitting and mediocre pitching. Gray and Archer have been disappointing. I did land Shoemaker and McCullers, which has helped. I've been offered Smyly on a dead contract for Kepler at 5 (5 next year, 10 the last year). I can replace Kepler without much of a loss, but is Smyly enough for him?
    I'm just here for the baseball.

I'd ask for more than Smyly...he's been awfully mediocre this year, and the Rays aren't very good either.

Kepler has a chance to be a very good all-around player in the majors.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

That is my feeling as well. He's not the next Mike Trout, but maybe Mookie with better defense, eventually. For now, glove guys get PT and the Twins OF is a trainwreck.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
        That is my feeling as well. He's not the next Mike Trout, but maybe Mookie with better defense, eventually. For now, glove guys get PT and the Twins OF is a trainwreck.

J
        Mookie Betts? Kepler's upside is far below Mookie Betts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          Yeah, I was thinking Adam Lind type numbers with a bit of speed.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
            Yeah, I was thinking Adam Lind type numbers with a bit of speed.
            I don't see the Lind comparison either honestly. He doesn't have that kind of power potential, Lind hit 35 HR in 2009 (and still has a ~.200 ISO).

Think ~20-20 if Kepler hits his upside. His upside is closer to Dexter Fowler than the other names mentioned here IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              Yeah, Mookie Betts is one of the top 5 hitters in baseball. Kepler would be happy if his career year puts him in the top 50.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                Yeah, Mookie Betts is one of the top 5 hitters in baseball. Kepler would be happy if his career year puts him in the top 50.
                But there was a time Mookie was a Question mark. I remember having a hard time trading him when he was where keplar is.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                  But there was a time Mookie was a Question mark. I remember having a hard time trading him when he was where keplar is.
                  Was that because of Mookie or the guys you were trading with? Betts' future value has been pretty high since 2013 when he hit .314/.417/.506 with 15 HR and 38 SB as a 20 year old in A ball.

They are the about same age. That year Kepler hit .237/.312/.424 in A ball with 9 HR and 2 SB.

Kepler had a very good year last year in AA, hitting .322/.416/.531 as a 22 year old. But keep in mind, at the same time Betts was quite good for the Red Sox.

From a fantasy baseball perspective we're talking apples and oranges here.

Don't get me wrong here, I like Kepler (I have him in one of my main leagues), but expectations should be tempered. He's not Mookie Betts.

Comment

For what it's worth, the last game Kepler didn't start was June 9. In the last 28 days, in RJEL (mixed 5x5 using OBP), Kepler is the #22 player according to CBS. .281/.343/.583, 17 R, 7 HR, 27 RBI, 2 SB; that RBI total is second only to the super-hot Edwin Encarnacion.
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I'm looking ate the monthly splits. K% has gone 35.7%, 24.8%, 17.1% plus he has good plate discipline.

I will admit Mookie might be over the top as a comp. The same age comparison would make more sense to me if they both came out of the USA high school system. The low K% is what drew my eye. Betts plays in Fenway, which pushes also them apart, but is the comparison that far off?

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

From a fantasy standpoint, yes. Mookie will steal a lot more bases, score 30 or so more runs per year, and has better power upside due to the park difference.

I did manage to get Frazier and a $10 Duffy for Kepler and Stroman, who are both at $5.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

So after the month of July and the start of his August- new thoughts on Kepler????

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking about this thread too ... I think we're entering uncharted territory, traditional models don't account for the run he's on ... Maybe a coach tweaked him to something, or maybe he sold his soul to the devil ...
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I had a chance to have him or Brett Phillips in a trade earlier this year. Now he is crushing me this week h2h. I chose very, very wrong. I just did not see this power coming. He ever hit ore than a 12 homers in a year in the minors, and already has surpassed that in the majors.

Comment

Working...
                              X