trivia quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trivia quiz

In honor of the end of the season: since 1980 (arbitrarily chosen as when I started paying attention to baseball), what pitcher has the highest Fangraphs WAR season for each team?

Hints:
    There are 3 pitchers from this year - Kershaw, Archer, Cole
    There are 3 pitchers who appear on the list twice - Johnson, Martinez, Brown

Angels - Witt 1986, Trout 2013 - both revo (Trout 2015 3rd)
    Astros - Scott 1986, Bagwell 1996 - both revo (Keuchel 2015 5th, Biggio 1997 led in WAR)
    A's - Norris 1980, Giambi 2001 - pogues, feral (Henderson 1990 led in WAR)
    Blue Jays - Clemens 1997, Delgado 2000 - tranagreg, ironfist (Donaldson 2015 led in WAR)
    Braves - Smoltz 1996, Chipper Jones 1999 - pogues, ironfist (the next seven are Maddux 93-00 skipping 99, JD Drew 2004 led in WAR)
    Brewers - Sheets 2004, Braun 2011 - both ironfist (Yount 1982 led in WAR)
    Cardinals - Wainwright 2013, McGwire 1998 - revo, eld (Pujols 2003 led in WAR)
    Cubs - Prior 2003, Sosa 2001 - feral, pauly
    Diamondbacks - Johnson 2001, Luis Gonzalez 2001 - revo, pogues (Goldschmidt 2015 was 2nd, Pollock 2015 was 4th)
    Dodgers -Kershaw 2015, Piazza 1997 - both revo (Greinke 2015 down in 10th, Beltre 2004 led in WAR)
    Giants - Lincecum 2009, Bonds 2001 - revo, ironfist
    Indians - Kluber 2014, Thome 2002 - both pogues (Sizemore 2006 led in WAR)
    Mariners - Johnson 1995, Edgar Martinez 1995 - revo, feral (Felix's best season is 6th behind Johnson x3, Hanson, Langston, Griffey 1996 led in WAR)
    Marlins - Brown 1996, Sheffield 1996 - pauly, ironfist (Hanley 2008 led in WAR)
    Mets - Gooden 1985, Olerud 1998 - revo, ks (Wright 2007 led in WAR)
    Nationals/Expos - Martinez 1997, Harper 2015 - heye, feral (Scherzer 2015 2nd)
    Orioles - Mussina 2000, Chris Davis 2013 - revo, rhd (Ripken 1991 led in WAR)
    Padres - Brown 1998, Caminiti 1996 - revo, eld
    Phillies - Carlton 1980, Abreu 2004 - joncarlos, eld (Dykstra 1990 led in WAR)
    Pirates - Cole 2015, Bonds 1992 - eld, pogues
    Rangers - Ryan 1989, ARod 2001 - revo, eld
    Rays - Archer 2015, Pena 2007 - mj, pauly (Zobrist 2009 led in WAR)
    Red Sox - Martinez 1999, Boggs 1987 - heye, feral (Ellsbury 2011 led in WAR)
    Reds - Soto 1982, Votto 2015 - both revo
    Rockies - Ubaldo 2010, Walker 1997 - revo, pauly
    Royals - Greinke 2009, Brett 1980 - heye, ironfist
    Tigers - Verlander 2009, Cabrera 2013 - revo, ironfist (Ordonez 2007 led in WAR)
    Twins - Santana 2005, Mauer 2009 - pogues, feral (Knoblauch 1996 led in WAR)
    White Sox - Loaiza 2003, Thomas 1994 - feral, revo (Sale 2015 2nd)
    Yankees - Pettitte 1997, ARod 2007 - eld, revo (Henderson 1985 led in WAR)

enh, since I'm typing it up anyway, since 1980 what hitter has the highest offensive runs produced season for each team? This includes batting and baserunning and is also park and year adjusted, but doesn't include defense. I was going to do WAR but it has a defensive component and defensive assessments from 30 years ago can't be that accurate, so you end up with things like the best Phillies season being Dykstra 1990 with the 23rd best offense. If you want extra credit, you can try to guess the best WAR seasons also.

Hints:
    There are 2 batters from this year (three if you go by WAR) - Harper, Votto, (Donaldson)
    There are 2 batters who appear on the OFF list twice and two who appear on the WAR list twice - Bonds for both lists, RHenderson for WAR list, ARod for OFF list
    Last edited by mjl; 10-05-2015, 11:09 PM.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Pedro for Boston and Expos/Washington
    Halliday - Phillies.
    Greinke - Dodgers and Royals and This year.
    Last edited by heyelander; 10-04-2015, 02:51 AM.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Ok, let's give this a blind shot:

Angels - Mike Witt, Mike Trout
      Astros - Mike Scott, Jeff Bagwell
      A's - Dave Stewart, Rickey Henderson
      Blue Jays - Dave Stieb, Josh Donaldson
      Braves - Greg Maddux, Dave Justice
      Brewers - CC Sabathia(?), Robin Yount
      Cardinals - Adam Wainwright,
      Cubs -Jake Arrieta,
      Diamondbacks - Randy Johnson, Paul Goldschmidt
      Dodgers - Clayton Kershaw, Mike Piazza
      Giants - Tim Lincecum,
      Indians - CC Sabathia, Kenny Lofton
      Mariners - Randy Johnson, ARod
      Marlins - Jose Fernandez, Giancarlo Stanton
      Mets - Dwight Gooden, Mike Piazza
      Nationals/Expos - Martinez 1997 - heye - Larry Walker
      Orioles - Mike Mussina,
      Padres - Kevin Brown,
      Phillies - Roy Halladay,
      Pirates - Andrew McCutchen
      Rangers - Nolan Ryan, Juan Gonzalez
      Rays - David Price
      Red Sox - Martinez 1999 - heye
      Reds - Johnny Cueto, Joey Votto
      Rockies - Andres Galarraga
      Royals - Greinke 2009 - heye
      Tigers - Justin Verlander,
      Twins - Frank Viola,
      White Sox - Chris Sale,
      Yankees - ARod

Comment

Filled in correct answers.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Cubs should be Maddux 92 unless Arrieta beat him this year

Phillies should be Carlton 80

Comment

Phillies hitter is utley.
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Rockies - Larry Walker
              White Sox - Frank Thomas

Comment

My guess is that Kevin Brown (for the Marlins) is the third pitcher who appears on this list twice (padres already).

Comment

Filled in the new correct guesses and added the incorrect ones.

I will note that the reason I did all this is that I'm a Chicago fan and the Cubs and White Sox pitcher answers are not at all what I expected.

Comment

In honor of the end of the season: since 1980 (arbitrarily chosen as when I started paying attention to baseball), what pitcher has the highest Fangraphs WAR season for each team?

Hints:
                    There are 3 pitchers from this year - Kershaw,
                    There are 3 pitchers who appear on the list twice - Johnson, Martinez, Brown

A's - Hudson
                    Blue Jays - Key
                    Braves - Smoltz
                    Brewers - Higuera (I got nothing...)
                    Cubs - Sutcliffe
                    Indians - Kluber
                    Pirates - Drabek, Bonds for hittters
                    Rays - ???
                    Reds - Rijo
                    Twins - J.Santana
                    White Sox - McDowell
                    Yankees - Clemens

I fondly remember the 1990 NLCS, so I'm going with the top pitchers from Reds and Pirates from that year.
                    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

A few wild guesses

A's - Mark McGwire
                      Blue Jays - Halladay, Delgado
                      Braves - Chipper Jones
                      Brewers - Sheets
                      Giants - Bonds
                      Indians - Albert Belle
                      Mariners - Griffey
                      Marlins - Sheffield
                      Tigers - Cabrera
                      White Sox - Buehrle

Comment

A few random guesses:

A's: Barry Zito? he had a couple great years iirc; on the hitting side if not Henderson ... maybe Canseco the year he went 40-40?
                        Blue Jays pitcher, I gotta think that awesome year by Clemens in the mid-90's has to be one of the best years we have ever seen from a SP.
                        Cubs: Kerry Wood?

edit: for the white sox how about Lamarr Hoyt in the early 80's? (I had to really fry a few neurons to come up with his name - my brain kept going to Latroy Hawkins)
                        Last edited by TranaGreg; 10-05-2015, 09:34 AM.
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Difficulty rankings of the remaining players:

Easy: Brewers H, Cardinals H, Cubs H, Nationals/Expos H, Rangers H, Red Sox H, Royals H

Medium: A's H, Dbacks H, Indians H, Mariners H, Orioles H, Rockies P, Twins H, Yankees P

Hard: A's P, Cubs P, Padres H, Phillies H, Pirates P, Rays P, Reds P

Ridiculous: Mets H, Rays H, White Sox P

Comment

Some more guesses:

Indians H - Albert Belle '95 (the 50 2B, 50 HR year)
                            Red Sox H - Manny Ramirez '97(?)
                            A's P - Bob Welch
                            Rangers H - Josh Hamilton
                            Reds P - Danny Jackson

Comment

A's P: Stewart
                              Brewers H: Braun
                              Cards H: Pujols
                              Mariners hitter: Boone?
                              Orioles H: Brady Anderson
                              Red Sox H: Nomar
                              Royals H: Brett