No announcement yet.

Manny Ramirez Retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the chance that the Rays trade for Huff is close to zero.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
      That's the leverage --- Rays aren't trading from a desperation standpoint. There are cheaper options, like Chris Davis
      Don't think that holds up to neutral analysis; the Giants don't need a deal at all. The Rays do need a deal, and Huff is clearly the best player available.

That there are inferior options is always the case in baseball, but it doesn't create significant leverage in and of itself. Is there something else you see here?

Comment

The Rays did not get success by trading for overpaid players in their mid 30s. The Giants gave Huff that awful new deal and now they must live with it or eat $20M of it if they want to trade him to the Rays. I'd rather see the club trade talent to acquire Chris Davis who has a future and some upside and has not peaked.

Comment

I'd rather see the club trade talent to acquire Chris Davis who has a future and some upside and has not peaked.
          You mean he might advance from a quad-A player to a quint-A player?
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

The Rays did not get success by trading for overpaid players in their mid 30s. The Giants gave Huff that awful new deal and now they must live with it or eat $20M of it if they want to trade him to the Rays. I'd rather see the club trade talent to acquire Chris Davis who has a future and some upside and has not peaked.
            You're on a different question (whether it'll happen). I don't expect it too; that doesn't change that when they speak, it'll be the Rays who are in need and the Giants who are ok holding on to Huff. That's leverage.

The Rays will have to give up more to get Davis, as the Rangers are not a stupid team. Rays lack leverage in that situation, too. They are a well-run team, but they left themselves a bit short this year.

Comment

We are clearly mixed up. Any talks between the Giants and Rays will be with the Giants in a tremendous position of strength; that's a non-starter for a financially-minded Friedman.

The Rays are going to lack leverage in most deals, but going to the Giants and asking them to trade an asset and pay for most of his salary is going to be laughed off. Davis is a different cat because the Rangers are locked in at 3B and DH as long as Beltre and Young are healthy and they really like Mitch Moreland. Davis is a victim of a logjam and the Rays have an abundance of pitching to offer. If the Rays continue in this slide, James Shields easily becomes a marketable player to the Rangers as his $4.25M salary for 2011 is cheap and the Rangers could decline his 2012 option if they don't feel he's worth the $9.25M he's scheduled to make next season.

Comment

We are clearly mixed up. Any talks between the Giants and Rays will be with the Giants in a tremendous position of strength; that's a non-starter for a financially-minded Friedman.

The Rays are going to lack leverage in most deals, but going to the Giants and asking them to trade an asset and pay for most of his salary is going to be laughed off. Davis is a different cat because the Rangers are locked in at 3B and DH as long as Beltre and Young are healthy and they really like Mitch Moreland. Davis is a victim of a logjam and the Rays have an abundance of pitching to offer. If the Rays continue in this slide, James Shields easily becomes a marketable player to the Rangers as his $4.25M salary for 2011 is cheap and the Rangers could decline his 2012 option if they don't feel he's worth the $9.25M he's scheduled to make next season.
                Right, that was my point all along---the Giants hold the cards here; seems like you're on board with that now. I think that makes it unlikely a deal happens, and that's because the Rays need the deal more than the Giants and aren't likely to give up what they'd have to given the salary.

No question the Rays and Rangers could be a match; the players you suggest indicate the Rangers are in the better position there, too. They don't need to trade Davis, much as many of us wish they would!

Comment

I was always on board with that -- don't know how that was miscommunicated

Comment

If the Rays are peddling some of their premier young arms, I'd expect the Brewers would listen to offers for Mat Gamel, too.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      If the Rays are peddling some of their premier young arms, I'd expect the Brewers would listen to offers for Mat Gamel, too.
                      Jeez...I'm trying to think if the Twins have any aging AAAA players that they can try to pawn off on some unsuspecting organization.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        Jeez...I'm trying to think if the Twins have any aging AAAA players that they can try to pawn off on some unsuspecting organization.
                        Gamel can hit. His glove causes severe allergic reactions, but hit...yes. I'm hoping he'll turn into a somewhat competent 1Bman since Fielder will be gone after this year, but knowing Melvin, he'll deal Gamel for a quality arm in a heartbeat if he can.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          Gamel can hit. His glove causes severe allergic reactions, but hit...yes. I'm hoping he'll turn into a somewhat competent 1Bman since Fielder will be gone after this year, but knowing Melvin, he'll deal Gamel for a quality arm in a heartbeat if he can.
                          Chris Davis can pound the ball too...against AAA pitching. The jury is still out as to whether Gamel can handle big league pitching. We'll see...he's no kid anymore, he's going to be 26 in July.
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

I was always on board with that -- don't know how that was miscommunicated
                            This:

That's the leverage --- Rays aren't trading from a desperation standpoint. There are cheaper options, like Chris Davis
                            Is the opposite of what came later. No huge thing obviously, but that reads like the Rays have more leverage when I think we agree that is not the case.

Comment

Maybe it was the wording. "Desperation standpoint" meant the club wasn't going to enter trade talks with a team from the weaker position and do something out of desperation. They signed Burrell out of desperation, and they signed Percival to a 2 yr deal out of desperation.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                                Chris Davis can pound the ball too...against AAA pitching. The jury is still out as to whether Gamel can handle big league pitching. We'll see...he's no kid anymore, he's going to be 26 in July.
                                True enough. But in limited MLB exposure (145 ABs), he has 5 HRs and a .335 OBA. He strikes out (63), but he'll also take a walk (19). I think Gamel gives every indication of being able to handle major league pitching. His defense is atrocious at 3B, but will likely play at 1B, but being blocked by Prince isn't exactly a recipe for promotion. I think if he was traded and brought up to play 1B on an everyday basis, by the end of the season, he would be passable defensively, and above-average with the stick. This is a good player to take a gamble on, in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X