Manny Ramirez Retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by revo View Post
    You know, I think that's a tough call, despite what now may be his 2nd infraction. Manny, like Bonds and ARod, were HOF talents before steroids. Guys like Palmeiro and McGwire likely became HOF talents because of steroids.

If I had a vote, I'd still vote for Manny for the Hall.
    On what possible basis does Manny have a "before steroids" body of work? He has 2 positive tests, was purportedly on the secret 2003 list and came from a very juiced up Cleveland team. He was a known stoner throughout his career and was likey a hard core PED user throughout all of his peak power years. Probably one of the biggest users this side of McGwire/Sosa

Comment

Originally posted by wilbur wood View Post
      On what possible basis does Manny have a "before steroids" body of work? He has 2 positive tests, was purportedly on the secret 2003 list and came from a very juiced up Cleveland team. He was a known stoner throughout his career and was likey a hard core PED user throughout all of his peak power years. Probably one of the biggest users this side of McGwire/Sosa
      Purportedly.....Likely.....Probably.....

He doesn't have the one trait of the other guys I mentioned before -- a performance spike anywhere in his career. He was a stud prospect, came up as a stud and stayed a stud his whole career. 20-22 years of steroids? Wow, if so, that's unreal.

Comment

Well, I would not want to be the guy who sold him his life insurance policy...

True that from 1995-2009, he was below a 144 OPS+ only once (a 126), then still had a 138 last year.

Geesh, that 1995 Indians team went 100-44, had Carlos Baerga, Omar Vizquel, Albert Belle, Kenny Lofton, Ramirez, Eddie Murray, some bad Dave Winfield, and a little young Brian Giles (uh oh) and Jeromy Burnitz (and a cup of coffee for Billy Ripken). What a cast, and that's just the hitters.

Dennis Martinez, Orel Hershiser, Joe Table, Julian Tavarez, Paul Assenmacher, Jason Grimsley (uh oh) also aboard.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

how bout jim thome? did he go come in 96?

Comment

The new DH

Comment

Okay, at what point is it "retiring", and at what point is it just "quitting"? If you just say adios during the season just to keep from getting busted for a PED, do we dignify that by calling it a retirement? Or is it a retirement any time you don't plan on coming back?

Hey, if just walking off the job and never coming back constitutes retirement, I know guys who have retired dozens of times.

We need some new terminology here. If you quit with the dogs on your trail, what should we call that?

Comment

He filed his paperwork

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                  If you quit with the dogs on your trail, what should we call that?
                  Escaping punishment?
                  Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by tinitoys View Post
                    how bout jim thome? did he go come in 96?
                    I'm not sure I understand what this means, but Thome became a full-timer in '94 after three part-time seasons.

Comment

I think maybe the Giants may have just found a team willing to take Huff off their hands. As a Huff owner, I'm at least hoping both teams are thinking that way!

Comment

Originally posted by Blue&White View Post
                        I think maybe the Giants may have just found a team willing to take Huff off their hands. As a Huff owner, I'm at least hoping both teams are thinking that way!
                        He wasn't happy here - was thrilled to leave when it happened.

I'd take him back though - but given the leverage situation, I don't see the Rays doing that unless the Giants take on a HUGE chunk of that new 2 year deal they just gave Huff.

Comment

Maybe the Rays should ask the Rangers about Chris Davis, rather than spend more money on an old guy. Canseco/Greg Vaughn didn't work...I didn't think Manny/Damon would work either. Just didn't think Manny was so stupid to keep taking.

Comment

Jennings watch:

Through 3 games .385/.500/.615 13 AB 1 HR 2 SB 2/1 k/bb.

The hr is encouraging since he only hit 3 in 399 AB last year.
                            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                              He wasn't happy here - was thrilled to leave when it happened.

I'd take him back though - but given the leverage situation, I don't see the Rays doing that unless the Giants take on a HUGE chunk of that new 2 year deal they just gave Huff.
                              Giants have much better leverage---they have the payroll and depth to just sit still; Rays are the team who needs to do something here. Do you think otherwise? Why?

Comment

Originally posted by RSF View Post
                                Giants have much better leverage---they have the payroll and depth to just sit still; Rays are the team who needs to do something here. Do you think otherwise? Why?

That's the leverage --- Rays aren't trading from a desperation standpoint. There are cheaper options, like Chris Davis

Comment

Working...
                                X