I already don't like the new guy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    It's snark because I'm making fun of your position. I don't get what is so sacred or beautiful about seeing the fielders arranged symmetrically around the field or in the places they used to usually play back in the day.

If they change the rules, I'm sure I'll find a way to get a competitive advantage out of that, too. I'm not worried about that.
    I liked the old, "none of us has all the right answers" KS better
    Last edited by Judge Jude; 01-25-2015, 08:50 PM.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      I liked the old, "none of us has all the right answers" KS better
      I guess I just watched so much of good infield positioning last year that I saw how much fun it could be. I really don't understand the aesthetic argument against it. It's actually a joy to watch. I don't think when the fielders originally positioned themselves where they did, that it was because they thought it was beautiful. They positioned themselves there because they thought there's where the ball was going to go. It's all part of the cat-and-mouse game between offense and defense, and to me that is the soul of baseball and beautiful. I really don't understand how if the shortstop takes two steps, all of sudden baseball is no fun to watch any more. I don't say that just because my team takes advantage of it. I remember watching the Cubs position themselves in unique ways against a number of our hitters in 2012, and it left me wondering what they were seeing. It didn't offend me. It didn't degrade my enjoyment of the game. It made me think.

I understand why if someone thought it was a significant contributor to the decline in offense, why they might want to change the rules for that reason. But of course it's not a significant contributor to the decline in offense.

And if people say they miss seeing Adam Dunn or Big Papi hit a groundball single into right field, and that's a big deal for their enjoyment of baseball, I don't believe them.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

That's a very well-reasoned response that doesn't insult anybody, for which I thank you.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

if you don't like the shift, hit away from it!
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Constantly moving your fielders around to where they think the ball will go--that's annoying. They should play where Honus Wagner thought Ty Cobb would hit the mush ball they played with in 1900, for gosh sakes.
            You keep talking this way, and the Department of Baseball Security is gonna come by and waterboard you.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

As I think about this, one thing that occurred to me is that fielder positioning is something that really doesn't come across well on television. Mostly you don't see it. And when you see the effects of it, unless you are attuned to it, you will miss it. When the shortstop dives and stops that screaming line drive up the middle and throws the guy out at first, why was he able to get to that ball in the first place? Usually on TV it just gets pointed out when the defense is doing an extreme shift with an infielder in short right field on a guy like Big Papi, but there is a lot more that goes into it on a play-by-play and pitch-by-pitch basis than that. At the ballpark, if you are watching, you can follow what the infield is doing, and it's actually a lot of fun to think along with them.

Depending on your vantage point, it can be a little tougher to follow what the outfield is doing, and the meaning isn't always so obvious (e.g., the center fielder usually plays a few steps the opposite way--why is that?), but there is quite a game going on throughout the whole game with the infield for the dozen or so teams that put a lot of work into this, and it can tell you what kind of hitter they think the opposing hitter is, what kind of threat to bunt he is, how fast he is or what kind of power threat, and so forth. When a runner is on first, to what extent are the middle infielders pinching toward second to facilitate the double play? If the team is putting three infielders on one side, are the positioning a little out of their ordinary shift in order try to maintain the double play? If a runner is on second base, where is the third baseman playing to try to prevent him from stealing third? Is the shortstop taking advantage of his position right behind the runner to try to creep in and pick him off or to shorten up his lead?

There is all sorts of stuff that goes on all the time on the infield, and to me, unique positioning just adds another element to all of that. Infielders and their coaches have to think about all of that, and it is fun to try to think along with them and see if you can understand what they are doing.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Our smart, friendly Seitzer is back!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Eliminating shifts from baseball, forcing them to play in a particular formation? That's like the NFL adopting rules stating teams can only line up in an I-formation with 2 wide receivers, one to each side of the line and the defense can only line up in a 4-3 defense with the corners within 3 yards of the line and the safeties within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage.

I don't care if a team decides to take the 7 fielders, surround the pitchers mound in a half-moon, and do jumping jacks when the pitch is being thrown. If a team thinks lining up their fielders in a particular formation is beneficial, let them try it.

This is just more baseball purist bullshit.
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                    Isn't it about time for the designated fielder? I mean, half of these chumps trip over their own feet in the field! Would you rather see Adam Dunn fleeb about in the outfield or mash dingers? Amirite??? Guys???????
                    and reducing errors would speed up the game... although it wouldn't inject more offense... hmm...
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

As I think about this, one thing that occurred to me is that fielder positioning is something that really doesn't come across well on television. Mostly you don't see it. And when you see the effects of it, unless you are attuned to it, you will miss it. When the shortstop dives and stops that screaming line drive up the middle and throws the guy out at first, why was he able to get to that ball in the first place? Usually on TV it just gets pointed out when the defense is doing an extreme shift with an infielder in short right field on a guy like Big Papi, but there is a lot more that goes into it on a play-by-play and pitch-by-pitch basis than that. At the ballpark, if you are watching, you can follow what the infield is doing, and it's actually a lot of fun to think along with them.

Depending on your vantage point, it can be a little tougher to follow what the outfield is doing, and the meaning isn't always so obvious (e.g., the center fielder usually plays a few steps the opposite way--why is that?), but there is quite a game going on throughout the whole game with the infield for the dozen or so teams that put a lot of work into this, and it can tell you what kind of hitter they think the opposing hitter is, what kind of threat to bunt he is, how fast he is or what kind of power threat, and so forth. When a runner is on first, to what extent are the middle infielders pinching toward second to facilitate the double play? If the team is putting three infielders on one side, are the positioning a little out of their ordinary shift in order try to maintain the double play? If a runner is on second base, where is the third baseman playing to try to prevent him from stealing third? Is the shortstop taking advantage of his position right behind the runner to try to creep in and pick him off or to shorten up his lead?

There is all sorts of stuff that goes on all the time on the infield, and to me, unique positioning just adds another element to all of that. Infielders and their coaches have to think about all of that, and it is fun to try to think along with them and see if you can understand what they are doing.
                      Yep - it's amazing how much you don't see on TV, especially with outfield positioning. I'm really going to miss going to live games this year since Atlanta is the closest I have for MLB and it's over 4 hours away.

Comment

Better enforcement of the strike zone would do more for offense than anything with shifting. I'm not saying balls & strikes are easy, but by the computers, umps made incorrect calls 11.5% of the time. The overall range was from 85.6 to 91% of the time according to the proprietary portal I'm looking at. Many of those incorrect calls are on lefties to the outer edge of the zone

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                          Better enforcement of the strike zone would do more for offense than anything with shifting. I'm not saying balls & strikes are easy, but by the computers, umps made incorrect calls 11.5% of the time. The overall range was from 85.6 to 91% of the time according to the proprietary portal I'm looking at. Many of those incorrect calls are on lefties to the outer edge of the zone
                          What about balls below the knees? I remember reading that the low strike has increased substantially.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                            I don't care if a team decides to take the 7 fielders, surround the pitchers mound in a half-moon, and do jumping jacks when the pitch is being thrown. If a team thinks lining up their fielders in a particular formation is beneficial, let them try it.

This is just more baseball purist bullshit.
                            This.
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              What about balls below the knees? I remember reading that the low strike has increased substantially.
                              yes, that too has had an impact

Comment

Also, there's this:

Comment

Working...
                                X