No announcement yet.

I already don't like the new guy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Answer for eliminating shifts: Hit the ball where they ain't.

Comment

Eliminate the shift because it gives the defensive team a competitive advantage? Why not take away their gloves. Gloves give them a competitive advantage, too.

I agree with Pogues. If the defenders want to offer the hitter a giant hole to hit through, why not? If they want to all gather around second base, why not? Football (fascist sport that it is) has about two dozen rules about where everybody has to be located before the snap, and where they can go after the snap. Do we want that kind of rigidity for baseball?

Comment

The new Commissioner is inheriting a game that's in pretty good shape. If he wants to work on something that really needs fixing, let him work on the pace of the game. Order umpires to order hitters into the batter's box. If they have to buy batting gloves and jockstraps that actually fit and don't require "adjustment" after every pitch, so be it.
        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

Rosenthal is reporting some are kicking around the idea of making a pitcher face more than one batter a game.

Here's the chart showing the trend of pitchers facing only one batter in a game by season

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
            Rosenthal is reporting some are kicking around the idea of making a pitcher face more than one batter a game.
            Would managers also be prevented from using two pinch hitters in a row?
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
              Would managers also be prevented from using two pinch hitters in a row?
              Who knows, but pinch hitting takes much less time than it does to do a pitching change. I say bring back the bullpen carts!

Comment

Let's bring back Ted Williams from the grave (or the freezer), and see what he'd do if someone tried an infield shift on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Silentmist View Post
                  Let's bring back Ted Williams from the grave (or the freezer), and see what he'd do if someone tried an infield shift on him.
                  they stopped shifting on Bonds when he cricket-batted a double down the line.
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Here's the chart showing the trend of pitchers facing only one batter in a game by season

LOOGY revolt!
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

that same image with wOBA as the other axis.

Comment

that same image with wOBA as the other axis.
                        i'm skeptical of that correlation. 1200 PA for the single batters faced isn't significant enough in the face of ~180000 total PA in a season for all players...
                        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

when i first looked at that graph, i thought it was pittsburgh pirates on the abscissa ...
                          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by Silentmist View Post
                            This is what he wrote about facing the shift in his book:

When I had such a hard time with Boudreau's shift, and ones like it that sprung up in 1947 and afterward, I survived by learning to hit to left field. Everybody was saying--and the Boston writers were writing--that I wasn't trying to hit to left, that I was too stubborn, that all I cared about was ramming the ball into the teeth of the shift, getting base hits in spite of it. The fact was, I was having a hard time learning to hit to left. It wasn't because I didn't get any advice. Of that I got a truckload.

Ty Cobb wrote me a two-page letter, outlining how he would do it. We met at Yankee Stadium during the 1947 World Series, and he took me around behind a telephone booth and we talked. He said, 'Oh boy, Ted, if they had ever pulled that stuff on me, that drastic shift...,' and his mouth was watering, seeing in his mind's eye the immortal Ty Cobb lashing the ball into that open range in left field.

Well, Cobb was more of a push hitter, a slap hitter. He choked up two inches from the bottom and held the bat with his hands four inches apart. He stood close to the plate, his hands forward. He had great ability to push the ball, to lash hits all around. He was a great athlete, maybe the greatest, but was a completely different animal from me, and his words were like Greek.

The arc of my swing was much greater than Cobb's. What he said would apply to guys more his type, guys who choked up on the bat more and pushed the ball around. That wasn't in me. I was down, with a longer stroke, a greater arc.

When I beat the shift, I did it by taking my stance a little farther from the plate, striding slightly more into the pitch--but concentrating on getting on top of the ball and pushing it. A push swing, an inside-out swing, fully extended, the hands ahead of the fat part of the bat. This produced contact at 90 degrees or more from the direction of the pitch, and sent the ball to the left of the pitcher's box, away from the shift. Almost like hitting pepper.
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

great section ... can you share that with the new commish?

I loved that book.
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Ran across this photo on Twitter today. Fun stuff.

The Astros Freddie Freeman shift: Infield shifted to pull, outfield opposite field. Never seen anything like it
                                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                                X