2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Yeah, maybe it's like 3-5 years. But I think you're understating some of the players they shipped off. You forgot to mention:
    - Zach Eflin
    - Yasmani Grandal
    - Jesse Hahn
    - Max Fried
    - Mallex Smith
    - Johnny Barbato
    - Cameron Maybin
    - Matt Wisler
    - Nick Vincent

Hahn & Wisler are solid arms and Wisler is emerging into a top-line starter. Eflin is killing it at AAA and will be up this season. Fried is working back from surgery. In addition to Joe Ross, that's an entire rotation right there. Vincent & Barbato are doing very well in their team's pens, so he traded away 7 major league arms (and he also lost Dan Straily on a waiver claim on 4/1). Yep, he killed the Pomeranz deal, but hey, you gotta win one every now and then.

Mallex is up and doing well. Grandal has slumped, but he's still a quality backstop. He didn't get much for Rymer Liriano. And you already mentioned Trea.

They owe Kemp, Shields and Upton a moatload, and if they get teams to take on their salaries, they won't get the haul they need to replenish.

Look, I liked a lot of the moves the made at the time, and I was surprised they almost all backfired. I don't think it would be surprising if they canned him.
    Context brings a lot to the discussion and you're leaving quite a bit out.

Let's start with the fact. there's no way in hell the Padres can Preller before the draft. before the international signing day and before the host the All Star game, which means, he'll be in control when they dump everyone. I'll give up my Padre card if that happens.

You are correct in saying they owe a boatload to Kemp, Shields and Upton, but they owed a lot to Kimbrel and look what they got in return. Margot, Allen , Asuaje and Gurrero. When they made the trade they were shedding Maybin and Quentiens contracts and if you're honest Maybin was always hurt, still seem to find his way to the DL regularly. I'd deal Wisler for Margot and the other 3 any day. Sure they gut Upton in the deal, but again he's looking like he's found his old self and though the power isn't as great he'll get 15/30 this year for someone...He could easily be dealt to someone needing a replacement OF even if that brings next to nothing the Padres already got return for Wisler.

They got Myers for Ross and Turner, as good as those two look, Myers is a former rookie of the year who's on his way to a 30/15 season and seems to be regaining the promise he flashed in 2013. Ross looks like the real deal and Turner promises to be.

They turned a TJ surgery fried and Smith into J Upton, who brought a 1st round comp pick in return. We'll have to see who that is and how they perform before we can call that being fleeced.

Eflin and Grandal for Kemp? Grandal has been what he was in SD, teasing and hurt. Eflin might be great for the Phils, but who knows. Kemp brought the first cycle in Padre history and it's first 100 RBI season since Gonzalez. They'll get something for him, but he's paid his freight.

Hahn for Norris? An all star Catcher for an often hurt arm?

Barbuto? hehe now you're just pulling my leg.

The Padres did indeed give Preller on shot to catch lightning and everyone, including most people in here, thought he crushed to 2015 off season, but it didn;t quite work out as we've seen many times on many teams that make wholesale changes through trade and FA fall flat. What they DID accomplish for ownership was to put butts back in the seats, give everyone some hope and demonstrate that the Padres might indeed go all in on occasion.

They'll off load those guys, fill the minor league system through those trades, this draft and the Intl signings and it'll be 2-3 years before they compete, but you really can't say they'd have competed sooner with the guys they traded.

Preller isn't going anywhere and the Padres are indeed miserable failures at times.

Check back in as soon as the shoe's begin to drop :P
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Justin Upton Steals Home!!
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Saw the play. His slide rates an A+.

Comment

• I liked the matrix comparison

Comment

• any shot the Padres demote the horrible Colin Rea? only have limited executions of bad active players....
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              any shot the Padres demote the horrible Colin Rea? only have limited executions of bad active players....
              There is a ton of change coming, they are hamstrung until the AS game passes, it would be a PR nightmare to be firesaling and hosting the AS game. But yes, he will be down soon as Ross should be back after then as well.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Just a heads up, Perdomo Might be a candidate for a next season stash.

he's started to get better, if he can limit the long ball he's got swing and miss 9+k/ip stuff.

If you can grab him cheap and stash him--do it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                  Just a heads up, Perdomo Might be a candidate for a next season stash.

he's started to get better, if he can limit the long ball he's got swing and miss 9+k/ip stuff.

If you can grab him cheap and stash him--do it.
                  If he can strikeout over 9 per INNING he would be the best pitcher ever

On a serious note though, his minor league numbers suggest he's closer to 7-8 k/9 which is okay, but not spectacular. He looks out of place at the major league level right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    If he can strikeout over 9 per INNING he would be the best pitcher ever

On a serious note though, his minor league numbers suggest he's closer to 7-8 k/9 which is okay, but not spectacular. He looks out of place at the major league level right now.
                    That he would

Comment

• Jon Jay diagnosed with a broken forearm; Alex Dickerson was recalled.

Comment

• This team HATES Hunter Renfroe...only batting .325 with 18 HR at AAA. He deserves a shot already.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                          This team HATES Hunter Renfroe...only batting .325 with 18 HR at AAA. He deserves a shot already.
                          Yeah, that kid has gotten better at every level. I think he'll be up this season, but I think they'll move people first. They need him to play every day.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            Jon Jay diagnosed with a broken forearm; Alex Dickerson was recalled.
                            Jay breaks his forearm on June 19th and was diagnosed with a broken forearm on June 28th. Seems like the Padres’ doctors are as good at their job as the Padres’ players.
                            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• And I can't remember where and exactly when, but here on these boards, I argued with someone about Renfroe vs. Dickerson. I said then, and I reiterate now, they have to see what they have in Dickerson so they can gauge his value. Is he a AAAA bat or is he a late-bloomer, because his numbers in AAA are even better than Renfroe's. So, now he's up and he'll get some PT and if he plays well, he'll slow the ascent of Renfroe, unless of course, they move someone. If Dickerson plays well, I wouldn't be surprised to see him and Renfroe starting in the OF in 2017.

Comment

• Melvin Upton Jr, what gives?

Are you going to give us a 25/35 season?

Excellent defense?

I thought you quit playing once you got your contract, which by the way How DARE you go and earn!!!

Sorry to see you soon playing for another team, it was fun.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X