Jose Bautista HR Count Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    You think that he can hit MORE than 54 homers? Not a chance in hell...
    I don't think he'll hit more than 54 HR this year, but he could certainly put up a better season overall. Say 50-ish HR with a .280 BA, 130 RBI, 120 Runs.

Check out this awesome article from Macleans that covers the Bautista vs. King Felix AB in which Bautista hits HR #50. Very in-depth, and shows a lot about the approach Bautista has, and the intelligence that has allowed him to break out in the first place.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/03/31/b...the-big-swing/
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

He's out for the series this week as his wife is due with their child.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
        I don't think he'll hit more than 54 HR this year, but he could certainly put up a better season overall. Say 50-ish HR with a .280 BA, 130 RBI, 120 Runs.

Check out this awesome article from Macleans that covers the Bautista vs. King Felix AB in which Bautista hits HR #50. Very in-depth, and shows a lot about the approach Bautista has, and the intelligence that has allowed him to break out in the first place.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/03/31/b...the-big-swing/
        You realize that of all the 50 HR seasons since 1980, only the steroid suspects have had multiples? Willie Mays had 2, Mickey Mantle had 2, Ralph Kiner had 2, and Jimmie Foxx had 2. Babe Ruth had 4, but he's a freak from another planet. Jose Bautista just doens't belong in the conversation with these HOFers, no matter what kind of adjustment he's made.

Sorry bud, I know that he's your guy, but he can actually have a better year, and not come close to 50 bombs...
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

You realize that of all the 50 HR seasons since 1980, only the steroid suspects have had multiples? Willie Mays had 2, Mickey Mantle had 2, Ralph Kiner had 2, and Jimmie Foxx had 2. Babe Ruth had 4, but he's a freak from another planet. Jose Bautista just doens't belong in the conversation with these HOFers, no matter what kind of adjustment he's made.

Sorry bud, I know that he's your guy, but he can actually have a better year, and not come close to 50 bombs...
          Right, I'd agree with that last part. Hitting 50 HR involves a lot of factors, and luck is certainly a part of that equation. But I don't see any reason to expect Bautista to fall off a cliff, or even to regress at all. Take his luck factor down a notch, and if he hits for a higher BA with *only* 45 or so HR, I don't think anyone would call that failure.

I'll be happy with a 35 HR season, but hopeful for 45-50. I would recommend anyone with MLB.tv to watch some of his AB's for the plate discipline that I've talked about. It's really awesome to watch.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Right. That's exactly my thinking. I believe he really is the quality of hitter that he showed last year, that the change is real. But to hit 54 just takes everything going right, as you point out. The great home run hitters throughout history have not been able to do that year in and year out.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
              Escobar: Very good eye, no power and can't hit a flyball. Don't get your hopes up!
              Of course. I say this and he goes ahead and hits a walk-off tonight.
              Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                Of course. I say this and he goes ahead and hits a walk-off tonight.
                Nice. Only 39 more to go. 14 more until he gets his own count down thread.

Comment

The best thing for Bautista owners is that if he keeps his skillset up, his AVG goes up. OBP should increase also.

But I'm struggling to buy into the 40+ HR. As noted, a big HR year this big again would be basically unprecedented...
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Jose Jose Jose Jose....hit number three today

Comment

Back on pace for 50 HRs. lol
                      Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

If the over/under is 40, I'll take the under.

Comment

Woo hoo!

Comment

depending on what the odds are, I'll take 40 exactly.
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

#4 just left the yard, but it was against AJ Burnett, so it hardly counts.

Hitting .320 early on as well, walking at a good clip, stealing a few bases...

Comment

3-3 tonight with a double, a triple, HR #5, plus 2 walks.

Now hitting .339/.480/.661 with a K/BB ratio of 14/16 through 16 games played.

Sell high folks. The 2nd coming of Brady Anderson is going to turn into a pumpkin any day now. Just ask El D.

Comment

Working...
                                X