No announcement yet.

Covid Vaccine thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i am kind of shit-faced. did you know, 10 or 20 years ago, i used to work at night as a computer operator. i did it for 16 years. so all those nights i would rant, i was sober. i was a problem back then. heh

i would've made a great academic advisor. for example, i could never tell you what you should do as a thesis, but i could tell you what everyone else doesn't know. immediately pointing out the bullshitters. but that's not what we should be doing. we should be looking for solutions and not whataboutism. or making examples of obvious fallacies. it's confidence. there are two types of ppl in the world. but you never want to be overconfident. 90% of us our out of our minds. which means only 10% really understand. but that's a good thing. it means if you have an idea, you have a good chance of being correct.

Comment

• this is why i have an unbecoming FU attitude to everything. for example, when i first parked my RV and the cat jump on my shoulder the first day, i noticed it's breathing was Tachycardia. i waited a year but eventually brought it to a vet. full bloodwork and T4 test. tried to ask them for help in guessing her age, you tell that by the teeth, which they didn't even look, but the answer was well, she's too young for a T4 hyperthyroid test. still she looks like she could be between 4 and 9 years old.

so a year later after even giving her lungworm medication, her breathing rate at rest is still super high. it's something i will never be able to fix. whatever life she had before i met her, how many years she spent outside, it's not something i can fix or have a veterinarian diagnose. the best i can do is, do no harm, and wait. and since i have been through it before, maybe i'll have experience and can help.

but i've never seen anything like this. i could spend 15k on this cat and still get the same results.

it's interesting when you reach the age of 52 yrs old. and you think if cats live 15 yrs. we are now on the same lifespan. i watch them get up every day at 5:30am, living each day like it is their last, and i wonder why i am not thinking the same.

Comment

• perception is even a quantum level event. i don't know how many times i can say it. you are just never going to be able to make other ppl see your exact point of view. unless you can break them. like in movie 1984. and you see more fingers than exist. yet, you would never find a better actor to break the news to you than Richard Burton.

Comment

• when in doubt i always try to find inspiration from Rocky

Comment

• it's interesting when you have two cats where one is social and the other isn't. and how they both respond to events. you can tell how much they understand and communicate information to each other by triangulating their position.

Comment

• it's kind of like when someone recently asked if you put together a team of "problem children", would they implode or would they bond together? and someone replied it would be something on the order of the Suicide Squad.

it's actually a really good question. i think it would work. it would be like when Carl Everett was on the Red Sox, or any team. there can only be one problem child at a time.

Comment

• My 9 & 11 year olds are getting the vaccine on Friday. It's about time, I had cancelled their previous date due to pushback from the wife.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                  My 9 & 11 year olds are getting the vaccine on Friday. It's about time, I had cancelled their previous date due to pushback from the wife.
                  Interesting. What was the push back about? My wife and I had some anxieties about our seven year old, mostly because the risk-reward calculations for him are different than from us, and the safety protocols at his school have worked to keep him infection free (not just from covid, but colds too) all of last year and this year so far (the four year old has been a different story). Ultimately, it did not take us long to decide getting him vaccinated asap was for the greater good. But it is fascinating how the parent brain works. What was more than enough evidence for me getting jabbed became ever so slightly less certain when it came to our kids. I don't blame parents for being cautious. In our case, we are fortunate to have a pediatrician friend who was so enthused about her kids getting jabbed, it helped alleviate any concerns we had. Also, fwiw, my 7 year old had absolutely no side effects to either shot. Not even a sore arm.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    My 9 & 11 year olds are getting the vaccine on Friday. It's about time, I had cancelled their previous date due to pushback from the wife.
                    I'm having a similar hard time with the wife. Her brother keeps feeding her some dubious news so she keeps having doubts. We got the 12-year-old vaccinated a few months ago because we were traveling and she wouldn't have to quarantine if she was vaxxed. Luckily that was enough incentive for her to agree with me. It was of course right before they allowed 5+ year-olds to get it, so my 10-year-old had to stay home a week. Now there's no incentive to do it, so she keeps stalling. How did you convince your wife finally, Revo? I'd love to get it done with for her as we won't be traveling anywhere for a while now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      Interesting. What was the push back about? My wife and I had some anxieties about our seven year old, mostly because the risk-reward calculations for him are different than from us, and the safety protocols at his school have worked to keep him infection free (not just from covid, but colds too) all of last year and this year so far (the four year old has been a different story). Ultimately, it did not take us long to decide getting him vaccinated asap was for the greater good. But it is fascinating how the parent brain works.
                      Your parent brain sure seems to work pretty logically, at least to me. Here's a pretty decent article from Vox on risks to children:

Risks to a healthy 7-year old are extremely low, though I still think they're slightly higher than risks from negative medical reactions to the vaccine. But, like you, I certainly wouldn't blame parents for being cautious.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironfist View Post
                        I'm having a similar hard time with the wife. Her brother keeps feeding her some dubious news so she keeps having doubts. We got the 12-year-old vaccinated a few months ago because we were traveling and she wouldn't have to quarantine if she was vaxxed. Luckily that was enough incentive for her to agree with me. It was of course right before they allowed 5+ year-olds to get it, so my 10-year-old had to stay home a week. Now there's no incentive to do it, so she keeps stalling. How did you convince your wife finally, Revo? I'd love to get it done with for her as we won't be traveling anywhere for a while now.
                        I don't know about convincing the significant other, BUT My kids, 21 & 23 had been reluctant to Vax when I told them the wife and I could not spend any real time with them until they were. This still didn't sway them (I guess we're not that much of a draw)

It took them planning a trip to NYC, the most covid stringent city in the nation, to get them thinking about really vaxxing. The briefly entertained getting fake Vax cards, but once I #1 laid out the penalties both legal and financial #2 mentioned there might be an anonymous call to the hotel they were staying in revealing their fraud, the chose to finally get the Vax.

Now they want to come visit, lucky me!

Yeah, I twisted arms and that might not go over well with the Mrs. but sometimes we have to take a difficult stance in order to protect those we love and the world we all live in.

GL with your dilemma.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          Your parent brain sure seems to work pretty logically, at least to me. Here's a pretty decent article from Vox on risks to children:

Risks to a healthy 7-year old are extremely low, though I still think they're slightly higher than risks from negative medical reactions to the vaccine. But, like you, I certainly wouldn't blame parents for being cautious.
                          It is an uncomfortable thing to say, because I know this disease has killed so many and we have people on this board with friends and family suffering and dying, but in the grand scheme of things, we got incredibly lucky that this is the pandemic we got hit with after so long and being so ill-prepared. I don't mean to discount the suffering it has caused or diminish the value of the lives of the elderly, but it is a lucky break that this pandemic has largely spared the young in terms of serious illness and death (the developmental effects are still significant given the societal disruptions).

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post

My kids were kind of excited to get it. They were like NO MORE CORONAVIRUS! The pros far outweighed the cons, especially from a logistical perspective. Now that they're fully vaxxed, they can go to school after an exposure provided they are symptom-free. Also, their aftercare is requiring weekly testing if you're not vaxxed just to come to after care. That would be fun to test my 6 and 8 year old every week.

And considering how much my mom nags me every year to get a flu flu shot, I can't even imagine how much she would nag me if I said I wasn't getting her grandkids vaccinated. That would be the worst.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironfist View Post
                              I just told her the omicron variant was going to surge (this was 3 weeks ago when I booked it), and better to be safe than sorry. She's not an anti-vaxxer (she got it herself back in June), but was hesitant for the kids just like she is with the flu vaccine. But I just flat out said enough is enough, they have to get it.

My side of the family all got vaxxed almost as soon as they could. My wife's family was another story, but all now are vaxxed (except for the kids, who are 2-13).

Comment

• My 36 year old Step-daughter keeps refusing the vax as she has taken on this "Government and Big Pharma are evil and the vax is experimental" line of thinking.

Her main reason for not trusting the Government and Big Pharma has been the failure of the government to research and use the medicinal qualities of marijuana, thus allowing Big Pharma to maintain the stranglehold on prescription drugs. On this I agree and it angers me that marijuana has not been researched enough to use medicinally to benefit millions.

She keeps saying that she is not putting this vax in her healthy body.
                                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X