things that tell you a movie is classic or great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    I would burn every copy of E.T. in existence. The most overrated movie ever.

J
    Geez, just cause YOU don't like it.......

Comment

i think i remember now having another category but forgot.

4) the movie was mainly meant for kids but adults don't completely realize or forgot it.

i think wizard of oz qualifies again. but star wars would be even a better choice.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
        I would burn every copy of E.T. in existence. The most overrated movie ever.

J
        I have actually never seen E.T. It always looked like a kids movie and never was a priority for me to watch. Maybe one day i'll give it a look. Maybe.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I haven't seen ET since I was a kid but remember being fascinated by it. Put it in my netflix queue years ago but it never made it to the top. I'll probably see it again one of these days but I fear it will be a mix of nostalgia and disappointment.

I think truly classic movies transcend generations and aren't a product of their time. Most of my favorite movies have come out in my lifetime but the movies I can truly enjoy that came out before that are the ones I know are true classics (Casablanca, godfather, caddyshack, wizard of oz, etc.)

Comment

i always looked at Dee Wallace as my friends hot mom. plus she swore in ET and said the word douchebag. but maybe the movie was like the anti-jaws. Spielberg did both movies. instead of having a generation of kids growing up to think sharks are like jaws, you had one thinking aliens were like ET... not that i would have a great white riding on my bicycle.

maybe there's a 5th category. movies where popular actors made their first real appearance. Fast Times at Ridgemont High would be an example.

ps. i think the lesson in quantum mechanics is even tho a particle in wave form seems to travel every path, we travel the same road. for example, it's the smallest things that maintain a connection over vast distances (Bells theorem). or light from a quasar, 10 billion years away. it's like the first step is noticing the universe is really big. 2nd step is that it's small. third step is that the small things overcome the laws of the big things, which contradicts the size of the universe.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
              I haven't seen ET since I was a kid but remember being fascinated by it. Put it in my netflix queue years ago but it never made it to the top. I'll probably see it again one of these days but I fear it will be a mix of nostalgia and disappointment. )
              I like Erika Elaniak better in Under Siege than in ET
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                i always looked at Dee Wallace as my friends hot mom. plus she swore in ET and said the word douchebag. but maybe the movie was like the anti-jaws. Spielberg did both movies. instead of having a generation of kids growing up to think sharks are like jaws, you had one thinking aliens were like ET... not that i would have a great white riding on my bicycle.

maybe there's a 5th category. movies where popular actors made their first real appearance. Fast Times at Ridgemont High would be an example.

ps. i think the lesson in quantum mechanics is even tho a particle in wave form seems to travel every path, we travel the same road. for example, it's the smallest things that maintain a connection over vast distances (Bells theorem). or light from a quasar, 10 billion years away. it's like the first step is noticing the universe is really big. 2nd step is that it's small. third step is that the small things overcome the laws of the big things, which contradicts the size of the universe.
                Im trying to determine when is the right time for my kids to see Fast Times at Ridgemont High
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                  I like Erika Elaniak better in Under Siege than in ET
                  Well....duh.
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                  X