things that tell you a movie is classic or great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• things that tell you a movie is classic or great

i only have 3 things but there's probably more.

1) everyone in the movie is in the final scene.
    2) the movie is turned into a play.
    3) at some point, the movie goes from black and white to color

the wizard of oz has all 3 of these. rumble fish has 1 and 3. grease has 1 and 2. let it ride has 1. return of the jedi has 1. it's a wonderful life has 1.

im more interested in movies where everyone is in the final scene. i think that's most important. but those movies are all i can come up with, remember or have seen.

the wizard of oz gets added points because everyone in the final scene also played different characters; which such things turn movies into plays. grease gets added points because the final scene involved high school, which everyone went to. let it ride gets extra because it described the gambling scene so well, especially the losing side of it. return of the jedi because it had a redeemed darth vader and yoda and obi-wan. rumble fish because it's was matt dillon, dennis hopper and mickey rourke as a family. and it's a wonderful life set the bar for what every woman could ever want in a husband. ..also supposedly wizard of oz and perhaps it's a wonderful life make sublte so-called political statements.

also, in an unrelated note i have a quantum mechanical joke. you ready? do you think a particle traveling in wave form, ever thought of a robert frost poem, and ended up taking the path less traveled? is there even a thing in quantum physics called a road not taken? heh.

Ocean's Eleven has everyone together at the end
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

One thing that i look at for movies i am on the fence about buying is the length. Movies that are 90 minutes or less usually have a shallow storyline. Comedies and animated movies are ok being this short but everything else i prefer to be 120 minutes or more.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Great movies always have a sense of completion, but have threads flowing out. You know what will happen next, and the day after that, but the urgency is gone.
        Great movies defy categorization. Is it drama? Is it action? Is it a mystery?
        Great movies have iconic performances. It is hard to imagine a movie with another actor in the role.
        Great movies have both suspense and comedy, sometimes at once.

The Dude abides.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I can't define what makes a movie great, but I know one when I see one!
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Is there a difference between a Great movie and a Classic movie?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              Is there a difference between a Great movie and a Classic movie?
              I think so. A classic movie may not be great, but you want to see it over and over again (Caddyshack, Kelly's Heroes, Blues Brothers, etc). Schindler's List was a Great movie, but I don't ever need to see it again.
              "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

grease was a play before it was a movie.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                  Schindler's List was a Great movie, but I don't ever need to see it again.
                  Agree 100%. I bought the dvd a few years back. Watched it once. Then quickly gave it away.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

What is a great movie? Simple to define.

If someone asks "Have you seen XXX?" and your response is "No", and they gasp in amazement...and this happens nearly every time, then you know it's a great movie.

ET
                    Godfather
                    Godfather 2
                    Schindler's List
                    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I would burn every copy of E.T. in existence. The most overrated movie ever.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post

If someone asks "Have you seen XXX?" and your response is "No", and they gasp in amazement...and this happens nearly every time, then you know it's a great movie.

ET
                        Godfather
                        Godfather 2
                        Schindler's List
                        Yeah, ET is pretty lame, but the others ... damn!

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post

ET
                          Godfather
                          Godfather 2
                          Schindler's List
                          Now define what is a Classic movie.

Comment

Ask Turner.
                            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

According to my wife, any movie she likes.

Comment

Working...
                              X