Snow Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow Days

I grew up in Massachusetts and I'm used to snowy winters. But the truth is I look forward to snow days (office closed) more now than I did as a kid missing school. I guess that's a sign I';m not completely in love with my job.

I am doing the work from home route today, I figure I can start work earlier than usual, or spend an extra 45 minutes commuting to work. I love me some VPN.

Comment

Totally agree. I am in NH and we were expected to see 14" or more where I am. Love the mid-week WFH break.
      Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Our office pretty much never closes. Spent a couple hours working at home this morning, endured a really long commute, and now I'm here. Will probably have another awful commute home.

Comment

My son's school was closed today, but thankfully I have the flexibility with my job to take him with me if need be (unless I have client appointments). And I'm able to work out of a much closer office, but this winter has still been one major pain in the ass.

Comment

We got a 10th of an inch of rain the other day. People lost their minds

Comment

Even though the writers and editors have VPN on our laptops, our office is almost never closed and you have to jump through hoops to work from home (You need to get your work plan for the day approved by the senior VP. Really?). I and others have let it be known how antiquated we think this is, but I don't suspect changes are coming any time soon.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

It's nice to be the one who makes the decision on whether or not the library opens or closes

After three pretty tame winters this one has been a beast.....
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Not a big fan of snow days - now my spring break will be likely cut short.

The district will add the Thursday before good Friday shortening the break to just mon,tues,weds - but most families have already made plans and wont change them so I will be teaching to half full or less classes on that day and will get pushback from all (parents, admin, kids) if I teach something that will need to be tested afterwards

so it will be a Mythbusters day

back to grading papers

Comment

As an on the road salesman with my office in my home, I never get snow days. The closest I get is to have sales calls cancelled and have an office day. I also get to start work early and stay late. On the plus side I was in sweats until 11:00 today and just finished shoveling my driveway. During my break I got to do some reading in here. All in all not a bad trade off.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      As an on the road salesman with my office in my home, I never get snow days. The closest I get is to have sales calls cancelled and have an office day. I also get to start work early and stay late. On the plus side I was in sweats until 11:00 today and just finished shoveling my driveway. During my break I got to do some reading in here. All in all not a bad trade off.
                      Hey there - long time no post
                      clean out your PMs
                      and also check the 70 music drafts - you would have liked it
                      we also did an 80s one - more my speed but less yours

Comment

just spent a half-hour shoveling my car out from the sleet mix out there. 6 or 8 inches, with some ice thrown in.
                        I'm not even going anywhere, but I like to win.

and at this rate, home valuations in the south may see an indirect rise down the road. I sure as hell won't be retiring up north, and if this pattern keeps up, no one else will, either.
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

It's a tale of two Jerseys: In South Jersey, the roads were clear of everything except water by the time I left for work at 8:30 AM. There was a very loose, melting sheet of ice on my car that was very easy to brush off.

North and West of Philly sounds brutal, however.
                          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

when we were up in Tahoe last week, they had a snow day because it actually snowed for the first time since mid december, and everyone was going to go skiing anyway.
                            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I'll do you one better... Still working for my company back east and when they shut down no one emails me or calls with requests. then I get to enjoy my sunny 70 degree weather and maybe even go to the pool.
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                              X