American dialect finder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It put me right in the SF Bay area
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      Nailed it for me-- NYC/Jersey City/Yonkers. Said the most distinctive answer was "sneakers." Jeez, what do all you cowpokes call them?
      Exact same for me too, except I was disappointed they didn't have 'wedge' as a choice in the hero/sub question, it's what us Westchester people call them.
      One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
        Exact same for me too, except I was disappointed they didn't have 'wedge' as a choice in the hero/sub question, it's what us Westchester people call them.
        Mmmmm......open faced club sand wedge....

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
          I had fun with the Mary marry merry question...I say marry and merry the same, Mary different.
          I say Mary and Merry the same (well, very similar), and Marry different.

I spent a few minutes trying to say Marry like Mary.

Comment

I took the test twice (the questions weren't all the same the second time, some were).

For the record--I was born in NYC but lived there for less than a year, Buffalo until age 7, Pittsburgh for three-plus years, Cincinnati for 14 more, OKC for three-plus, back to Cincinnati for the last 29-plus.

The first time, it said the three cities whose dialect my speech most resembles were NYC, Baltimore, and Washington DC. This is odd, since I was born in NYC but lived there for less than a year as an infant and have never lived in the other two. The "hot" regions seemed to be the Deep South (where I've never lived), Florida, and New Mexico, where I've also never lived.

The second time, it picked Louisville (nearby, but never lived there), Jackson, MS (been there for two days ever), and Columbus, GA (never been). Western KY, western TN, and Colorado joined my "most similar" areas this time.

I'm inclined to think this scientific survey isn't as scientific as it claims.
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
              I say Mary and Merry the same (well, very similar), and Marry different.

I spent a few minutes trying to say Marry like Mary.
              I spent a few minutes trying to say marry NOT like the other 2.

Do you say mar-ree?

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
              Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
              Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

maihry
                mehry
                mahrry

is that difficult?
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  maihry
                  mehry
                  mahrry

is that difficult?
                  It is when they're all pronounced 'mare-ee'.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                    I spent a few minutes trying to say marry NOT like the other 2.

Do you say mar-ree?
                    Marry = Maa - ree

Mary = May - ree

Merry = mare - ree

Comment

Marry = Maa - ree

Mary = May - ree

Merry = mare - ree
                      1/3 ain't bad
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I enjoy hahrible vs hawrible, which is a draw - but leads to hahrer vs hawrer, which sounds like whore.

Of course, some horror movies ARE whore movies, too.
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I pronounce Mary and marry the same, merry differently
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Marry = Maa - ree that seems to be Marie

Mary = May - ree I didnt know it was the Virgin Mayree

Merry = mare - ree This is the correct response to all of them.......
                            Happy New Year!!!
                            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Working...
                            X