American dialect finder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American dialect finder

What does the way you speak say about where you’re from? Answer all the questions below to see your personal dialect map.

This is pretty cool...scoring 100% so far among my friends.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

The American and Northern Irish / Ulster Scots accent have similar roots. The test says my accent/dialect has most in common with:

N'orlins / Louisiana
    or
    South Florida:
    Pembroke Pines, Florida
    Miami, Florida

The humidity would kill me.

Long island, Upstate NY and Vermont also turned reddish.

Maybe I can winter in Florida.

I expected more Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee ... that area was white / pinkish.

Comment

Philly/NYC and Charlotte NC.

I say Y'all.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Pittsburgh for me. Spot on.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

It gave me Rockford, Ill and Omaha Neb and since I'm smack dab in the middle (Iowa)...guess it is spot on for me.

Comment

Nailed it for me-- NYC/Jersey City/Yonkers. Said the most distinctive answer was "sneakers." Jeez, what do all you cowpokes call them?

Comment

I got PA, MN, NH. Good to know if I move stateside and want to blend in.

Apparently there are no highways in the west and yard sales only happen along the east coast.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
              Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
              Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                I got PA, MN, NH. Good to know if I move stateside and want to blend in.

Apparently there are no highways in the west and yard sales only happen along the east coast.
                They're called Freeways out there. There are no yards in NYC.....and I guess no Garages either, but that's what I always called them.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Nailed it for me-- NYC/Jersey City/Yonkers. Said the most distinctive answer was "sneakers." Jeez, what do all you cowpokes call them?
                  grew up calling them "tennis shoes"
                  "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                    grew up calling them "tennis shoes"
                    "Trainers" when I got a bit older ... but when I was a kid we had to use these standard issue white gym shoes that my mum called "plimsoll's". I guess that was a colloquialism, because that wasn't on the list.

Comment

Alabama/Mississippi for me

Comment

not surprising that northern cities were chosen for me - Minnesota, Seattle, & Portland, tho Buffalo which is only an hour away was close based on the heat map - as was Utah (?).

I found it interesting that when I responded with running shoes (for gym), the entire map was dark blue.
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Pretty close, Akron, Grand Rapids, answering Kitty Corner got me Rockford, IL.

Comment

I had fun with the Mary marry merry question...I say marry and merry the same, Mary different.

It put me in Providence, Philly, and Yonkers. Grew up 80 minutes from Philly, never been to the other two. But where I am from is deep red. interestingly, the next darkest area aside from the northeast is around Chicago where I lived for eleven years.
                            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Wow...very cool...nailed me...said I was probably in the Midwest and could be close to Akron, Ohio.

Comment

Working...
                              X