No announcement yet.

*** 1970's Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nektar's Remember the Future sounds even better on second listen. The Floydian passage that Foot posted is just brilliant, as are about 3/4 of the other passages.

If only they had a real lead singer. Roye Albrighton's voice sounds like it belongs in Boston or Head East or some sort of "corporate rock" outfit as opposed to a kickass prog band. And his attempt at metal screaming on the "YOU KNOW THAT I CAN'T STOP IT" section: just no.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Dean Ween (formerly of Ween, duh) and some friends performed a kickass 37-minute version of Floyd's "Echoes" this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        Devo guitarist Bob Casale, who played with the group alongside his brother Gerald from the original incarnation of the groundbreaking Akron new wave band in 1973 all the way through their recent tours, died suddenly on February 17th of heart failure. He was 61.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz2thjr8hkT
        I was in Mexico when this happened. Totally sucks. Second member to pass away.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• On my latest spin of Recycled, it strikes me that "Automation Horrorscope" is directly out of the Rush playbook.

Comment

• And "Sao Paolo Sunrise" sounds like something from Todd Rundgren's Initiation or the first Utopia album.

Comment

• I'm surprised no one took any "Can" albums, I've added them as a feed to a couple of my Pandora channels, and like most of what I hear from them, a lot of which I would have never pegged as being from the 70s
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                I'm surprised no one took any "Can" albums, I've added them as a feed to a couple of my Pandora channels, and like most of what I hear from them, a lot of which I would have never pegged as being from the 70s
                I had them on a list with a few other bands: Neu and Kraftwork ... all "Krautrock", but all different. I didn't know any Can records that well, so I went with the stuff I knew. They have some really trippy stuff. But they aren't an easy band to do searches for ... they may have been ahead of their time, but they didn't foresee web searches

Comment

• But they aren't an easy band to do searches for
                  Also in this category: The The

Comment

• Keith Emerson of Emerson, Lake & Palmer died today at age 71.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      1971 is pretty awesome too, and I'd easily take 69-71 over any other 3 consecutive years.
                      My wife heard a story on NPR that 1971 was judged to be the greatest year of music. I immediately had to check this thread.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        My wife heard a story on NPR that 1971 was judged to be the greatest year of music. I immediately had to check this thread.
                        Link to story.

That year, music journalist David Hepworth argues, offered an explosion of talent from David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Al Green, John Lennon and more. He discusses his new book, Never a Dull Moment.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                        X