*** 1970's Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
    I'd love to get in an RJ NL only league if that's possible.
    You can ask if 12TO has any openings. I know Frae and joncarlos are still in it.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• I'm still the commish of our NL-Only friends league that has been kicking around since the mid-90's. Some of the longtime stalwarts are starting to drift away, though, and it's getting tough to find outsiders who are willing to commit to a live auction, so, sadly, I may be looking for a new league soon.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• I don't get the Neil Young is a god stuff. I like some of his stuff with Buffalo Springfield, some with CSNY, some of his solo stuff (Down By the River is fantastic), but his voice makes me want to strangle myself sometimes. What I'm saying is that he's not bad if not my cup o'tea, but I'm very shocked he's as revered as he is here.

I did get a kick last night after I read his Wiki page and found out that pre-Buffalo Springfield he was in a band with Rick James(?!?) Now Neil Young + Rick James I would've paid to see!

I had LA Woman on my short list since Round 3. Always found something else to take.

Curious...how many of you guys are still doing fantasy baseball? I am in the 23rd year of my hometown league and love it just as much as when i started.
        I'm in 3 leagues -- my 16 tm redraft, a 16 tm HTH, and the RJEL. Same here, love it just as much today as when I started.

And FYI, my 16-tm redraft has an opening, if any of you guys are interested.

Comment

• Nice pick with Traffic. Love the title cut.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• After 10 picks, I've only 2 outside of 70-71 and one of those was mostly tracks from the 60s. So if I'd been born in 53 I'd have been 17-18 during those years. And, like my mom, would have celebrated my 60th birthday last year.
            Last edited by DMT; 01-09-2014, 02:17 PM.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              I don't get the Neil Young is a god stuff. I like some of his stuff with Buffalo Springfield, some with CSNY, some of his solo stuff (Down By the River is fantastic), but his voice makes me want to strangle myself sometimes. What I'm saying is that he's not bad if not my cup o'tea, but I'm very shocked he's as revered as he is here.

I did get a kick last night after I read his Wiki page and found out that pre-Buffalo Springfield he was in a band with Rick James(?!?) Now Neil Young + Rick James I would've paid to see!

I had LA Woman on my short list since Round 3. Always found something else to take.

I'm in 3 leagues -- my 16 tm redraft, a 16 tm HTH, and the RJEL. Same here, love it just as much today as when I started.

And FYI, my 16-tm redraft has an opening, if any of you guys are interested.
              I do really like his voice, but what really draws me to his music is his guitar playing. No one else sounds like him.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Didn't even know The Cure had a 70's record.

Comment

I don't get the Neil Young is a god stuff. .

Comment

• I am actually not in any leagues this year. I came back to fantasy baseball last year but really didn't care for the format of either of the leagues so I'll be looking.

The problem is we will be moving in early March into April so joining a high dollar league is a bit scary since I won't be able to prep quite as much as I'd like.

My preference would be a deeper mixed league with minor league rosters that is starting fresh or having a dispersal draft and ideally isn't too much of a reclamation project.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                      Didn't even know The Cure had a 70's record.
                      Surprise!
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Ah yes, the Mynah Birds. Everyone went on to fame: James, Young, Bruce Palmer (followed Neil to Buffalo Springfield) and Goldy McJohn and Nick St. Nicholas (both ended up in Steppenwolf.) But their career was very short and they broke up when James was jailed after it was discovered he was AWOL from the Navy. They were the first band with white members to be signed to Motown. I've heard their Motown sessions; nothing out of the ordinary for its time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                          Nice pick with Traffic. Love the title cut.
                          Ditto. I like the Low Spark album almost as much as John Barleycorn.

Comment

I don't get the Neil Young is a god stuff. I like some of his stuff with Buffalo Springfield, some with CSNY, some of his solo stuff (Down By the River is fantastic), but his voice makes me want to strangle myself sometimes. What I'm saying is that he's not bad if not my cup o'tea, but I'm very shocked he's as revered as he is here.
                            He's no god to me, merely a genius.

Well, he can be a genius, sometimes. I'm actually pretty cool to his folkie acoustic stuff, especially anything involving those laughably overrated hippie lunkheads he used to hang out with. I never for a second considered taking Harvest in this draft. But he does have a lot going for him. He's a very literate songwriter and storyteller, maybe the best of his generation. His guitar playing... I can see why some people aren't into his style, but I totally am - I find it entrancing. I can understand how others might find it boring. I appreciate his willingness to experiment and take risks, even though it doesn't always pan out. I think he really is kind of damaged and deranged on some level, like a lot of great artists, and he's often been able to channel that into something really fascinating.

On the flip side, a lot of his experiments have fallen flat, and he's often prone to questionable artistic decisions. His voice... yeah, like I said, if it bugs you, that's a tough barrier to get past. He really hasn't made any music that interests me since his 90's revival. He is certainly a mixed bag.
                            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Dropped from RJEL prior to last season, but still play in 2 leagues (both live drafts which I prefer greatly over internet drafts)
                              Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                                He's no god to me, merely a genius.

Well, he can be a genius, sometimes. I'm actually pretty cool to his folkie acoustic stuff, especially anything involving those laughably overrated hippie lunkheads he used to hang out with. I never for a second considered taking Harvest in this draft. But he does have a lot going for him. He's a very literate songwriter and storyteller, maybe the best of his generation. His guitar playing... I can see why some people aren't into his style, but I totally am - I find it entrancing. I can understand how others might find it boring. I appreciate his willingness to experiment and take risks, even though it doesn't always pan out. I think he really is kind of damaged and deranged on some level, like a lot of great artists, and he's often been able to channel that into something really fascinating.

On the flip side, a lot of his experiments have fallen flat, and he's often prone to questionable artistic decisions. His voice... yeah, like I said, if it bugs you, that's a tough barrier to get past. He really hasn't made any music that interests me since his 90's revival. He is certainly a mixed bag.
                                He's an odd duck -- seems incapable of forming lasting relationships with anyone outside of his wife and children. At least up to 2000 or so, he was so committed to his art that he blocked out almost everything else.

Silver & Gold was his last excellent album. Stuff after that has been hit and miss, with only Prairie Wind being definitely more hit than miss, and you get the sense that he isn't quite as committed to it as he once was.

Comment

Working...
                                X