No announcement yet.

*** 1970's Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little past the half-way point and I'm not surprised at all that Overkill, Stephen, and Johnny have the most albums from my list with 6 each.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• After checking out some Live Album lists, I listened to that Bob Seger live album over the weekend. Good stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        After checking out some Live Album lists, I listened to that Bob Seger live album over the weekend. Good stuff.
        Glad you like. I'm a big fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheGaffer View Post
          Glad you like. I'm a big fan.
          It appeared near the top of 2 or 3 lists. Was it a sleeper, or was it always regarded as a great live record?

Comment

• Am I the only one who never owned or really wanted to own "Frampton Comes Alive"?

I was never really a big purchaser of live albums...no real good reason..

Band of Gypsys - Jimi Hendrix (1970) - was on my list. Love the pick..
            At Fillmore East - The Allman Brothers Band (1971) - while i do love me some Allman Bros, i never bought this
            Monterey International Pop Festival - Otis Redding/Jimi Hendrix (1970-LIVE) - never owned it but have always enjoyed what i have heard from it
            The Last Waltz - The Band (1978) - never delved into The Band..love the hits though
            One Nation Under a Groove - Funkadelic (1978) - excellent pick!
            Lotus - Santana (1974) - Love Santana..never owned this
            Peter Gabriel- Peter Gabriel (1977) - meh
            Live Rust - Neil Young (1977) - Excellent choice ..one of my favorites
            Live at Leeds - The Who (1970) - never owned this either..but gotta love The Who
            Out Of The Blue - Electric Light Orchestra (1977) - nice pick..
            On The Beach - Neil Young (1974) - great album
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

What a perfectly timed interview!

Rick Wakeman on Prog, Punk and stuff ... plus footnotes.
              Gah! Stop making me click on Guardian links!

Wakeman was always a funny and complex guy, very outspoken (along with bandmate Bill Bruford), but it was odd that he had the reputation as the boozer and 'party animal' of Yes when he was actually a devout Christian.

Yes, at their 71-75 peak, with their fantasy worlds of Roger Dean covers and indecipherable lyrics, presented such an airtight mythology to us impressionable American kids that you thought they really were English mystics and sages who knew way more than you did. It was almost thrilling to see a 6-pack of Heineken on Wakeman's keyboards during a concert back then ('Dude, I can't believe he drinks beer!").
              One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                Am I the only one who never owned or really wanted to own "Frampton Comes Alive"?
                Me, but that's probably more of a generational thing. I would have been a wee tyke when it came out and, buy the time I was old enough to listen to music (other than what my parents were playing) it's peak had come and gone. Hearing the biggies (Do You Feel Like I Do, etc.) on "classic rock" radio, it never made me want to go out and get the whole thing. I like the songs we're all familiar with enough and enjoy them for what they are - a piece of nostalgia from the time.

Comment

• Regarding Seger: It's kind of what broke him out, honestly. Most of his records prior to that either disappeared entirely (there are 2-3 that have never been reissued, and I've never been able to find them), had a modest hit or two (late 60s), or didn't do much at all, and this one sold a ton, but predates his four best-known studio albums (Night Moves, Stranger in Town, Against the Wind, The Distance). So it was the live record that made him a star, after about a decade of getting nowhere.
                  Last edited by TheGaffer; 01-08-2014, 01:12 PM. Reason: noting we're talking Seger here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                    Damn, I missed the damned Damned pick of Damned, Damned, Damned! Damnit, eldiablo, you're really a pain in the ass!
                    I wasn't really thrilled with that pick either, but it was going to be a few rounds before I grabbed it.
                    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
                      Gah! Stop making me click on Guardian links!

Wakeman was always a funny and complex guy, very outspoken (along with bandmate Bill Bruford), but it was odd that he had the reputation as the boozer and 'party animal' of Yes when he was actually a devout Christian.

Yes, at their 71-75 peak, with their fantasy worlds of Roger Dean covers and indecipherable lyrics, presented such an airtight mythology to us impressionable American kids that you thought they really were English mystics and sages who knew way more than you did. It was almost thrilling to see a 6-pack of Heineken on Wakeman's keyboards during a concert back then ('Dude, I can't believe he drinks beer!").
                      He was a veritable hedonist compared to the others, who were vegetarians and teetotalers. One of the reasons he left was because he found his bandmates so boring. Another, famously, is that he didn't really like or understand their 1973 release.

However: Until original guitarist Peter Banks passed away last year, EVERYONE who had ever played in Yes was still alive. That's remarkable for a 60s/70s band that lasted so long and had so many personnel changes. Maybe there was something to vegetarianism and teetotaling.
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• #3 was a coin-flip for me between Last Waltz and Leeds, I just know I won't be picking another by The Band anyway so.... Had no intention of taking Frampton---you couldn't get away from it when it was released!
                        Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

I thought that Allman-Fillmore and Who-Leeds might be 1 and 2, like LZ4 and DSOTM.
                          I very nearly took Leeds...it was the dinosaur I spoke of when I chose Hendrix/Redding. But I just like the combo more than The Who...so I left it for someone who truly loves The Who.
                          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• I'll never mock an ELO pick, well, actually, any ELO after "Out Of The Blue" I would mock. I almost made my ELO pick last round, it'll probably be my next.

OOTB has some great highlights, but a lot of filler in my book. And it comes really close to that 'too-corny' line that Jeff Lynne always treaded. I love the Side 3 "Concerto For A Rainy Day", "Big Wheels" is a real guilty pleasure, beautiful song.

I saw this tour at Madison Square Garden in 1978, the one with the giant flying saucer, and I remember thinking the whole thing was really bloated and stupid, that I was now too sophisticated for it. It kind of marked the end of the progressive era for me; it was all punk and new wave after that.
                            One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
                              I saw this tour at Madison Square Garden in 1978, the one with the giant flying saucer
                              Cocaine's a hell of a drug.
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Bill Hunt was the "hunting horn" player for ELO between 1970 and 1972.

Nuff said.

Comment

Working...
                                X