*** 1970's Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    The Boss isn't universally loved around here. With another random crowd, Born To Run would probably be a first rounder, possibly early first. Nebraska runs Born To Run fairly close as my favourite Springsteen record.
    Interesting. I considered it for my pick in round 1, though I rate Exile just a bit higher.

Comment

• And there's Houses of the Holy, about as expected. Nice pick Revo, though I think No Quarter's one of their best songs, it's just so ethereal and weird.

Comment

• The almighty Zep!!!

No Quarter is my favorite on the album. Followed closely by Dancin Days.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• What I think of every time I hear "houses of the Holy"...

Houses of the Holy
          Was a really bitchin' album
          Bonzo kicks ass on it
          And then he chokes on his vomit
          The way a rock star's s'posed to die

The Rugburns - "Me and Eddie Vedder"

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
            I thought Revo would be taking Born to Run in the FIRST round.

It was the other album that I was sure was going in the first round but that I had no interest in. As you may know from previous drafts, I'm just not that into Springsteen.
            Born to Run is a landmark album, but the pool of 1970s artists is much, much deeper than the pool of 1980s artists were for me. So in that draft the Boss was a whale in a pond, while now he's just a big fish.

And there's Houses of the Holy, about as expected. Nice pick Revo, though I think No Quarter's one of their best songs, it's just so ethereal and weird.
            Yeah, too weird for me!

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
              "Their set lasted only 17 minutes and 20 fast songs full of energy. No one ever did something like that, it was like hitting people on the head with no pity and when I was going to ask them to stop it they already had." – Hilly Krystal
              Hilly Kirstal was talking about their audition for a gig and he remembered thinking they looked like some guys trying to sell some stolen equipment but let them try out anyway. When they were done he still wasn't sure if they were a band or some guys trying to sell some stolen equipment but he had slots to fill and booked them anyway.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                FOR LUCKY

2.13 What's Going On - Marvin Gaye (1971)

Damn great pick! Was hoping this one would sneak through a couple of more rounds. Unbelievable combination of social commentary, soul, sexy. What a legend. Still get goosebumps when I hear "What's Goin On?"

Comment

• Houses of the Holy is six great songs encroached upon by two bad ones (D'yer Ma'ker, The Crunge). Hence why I rank it high, like Zeppelin III, vs. in the stratosphere, like Zep IV and Physical.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                    Hilly Kirstal was talking about their audition for a gig and he remembered thinking they looked like some guys trying to sell some stolen equipment but let them try out anyway. When they were done he still wasn't sure if they were a band or some guys trying to sell some stolen equipment but he had slots to fill and booked them anyway.
                    Have you seen the movie CBGB that came out a month or two ago? It got really, really poor reviews, but I still want to see it.

Comment

Damn great pick! Was hoping this one would sneak through a couple of more rounds. Unbelievable combination of social commentary, soul, sexy. What a legend. Still get goosebumps when I hear "What's Goin On?"
                      Lucky's words: "[​What's Goin On?] should be ranked higher, but I think it might stick around longer."

Comment

• What's Going On was on my list. I figured Lucky would go R&B early, but I didn't know if it was gonna be this or something else. It changed what was possible on an R&B record. Particularly "Right On," which still blows my mind with every listen.

I got burned out on the Ramones freshman year of college, when my next door neighbor loudly played their greatest hits album EVERY DAY. They're repetitive enough as it is, without the same songs being repeated EVERY DAY. So I prefer them in small doses.

I like what I've heard from The Specials but I don't know their albums very well.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Wasn't getting by me.

Ah, we'll. off to plan F.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                            I like what I've heard from The Specials but I don't know their albums very well.
                            A Message To You Rudi and Ghost Town were 2 songs that shadowed my youth from being a kid to an impressionable teenager. In the pre-satellite / cable TV days, they were one of the "older" bands to get a lot of repeats on the BBC.

Actually, now that I've said that, I wonder if the reason they got played so much was to help the BBC make their multi-cultural quotas? Could be.

Comment

• I'm out of Lucky picks for now, and his PM box is full.

Comment

• Son of a bitch! Was reaaaaally hoping Houses of the Holy would slip to me since it's my favorite Zep album. Was willing to settle for III but of course that's gone too. Welp, back to the drawing board.

Comment

Working...
                                X