*** 1970's Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
    Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs - Blech. Again, I respect Clapton's ability but his self indulgence puts me off. Still, I understand his importance and influence, but I just can't listen to too much of him. Watched his Crossroads Guitar fest the other day on Palladia and couldn't sit through it without changing channels and going back to see if the same song was STILL being played.
    That's the way I feel about Eric Clapton's solo records, and his career in general, but Layla is the one of his that I think is really good, due in large part to Duane Allman pushing him. This is the Clapton album to try if you're not an Eric Clapton fan.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
      That's the way I feel about Eric Clapton's solo records, and his career in general, but Layla is the one of his that I think is really good, due in large part to Duane Allman pushing him. This is the Clapton album to try if you're not an Eric Clapton fan.
      Thanks, Sheep. With that said, I'll be listening to this soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        Shhh as in, don't interrupt your opponent....
        I didn't interrupt him, I let him pick it, and then I trashed it.

I doubt eldiablo and I consider each other "opponents" in music drafts, or could care less what the other picks. We're probably both happy to have another drafter picking stuff we have no interest in.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          From the "it always amuses me dept.":

When someone is on the site...it's their pick...and they leave without picking
          From the 'get it together' dept.

Doing it twice, let's go Foot!
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• "Bat Out of Hell" is one of my all-time favorite albums. I can see why some may not care for Mr. Loaf, given his tendency to oversing and each song needing to be an epic, but besides the obvious, Bat Out of Hell, All Revved Up With No Place To Go, and Two Out of Three Ain't Bad still rock. Too bad he couldn't keep it up, as his later work just doesn't stack up. He's kind of the Joe Charboneau of classic rock.

I'm a big Eagles fan and Hotel California was on my shortlist.

Love the Sex Pistols album, believe it or not.

Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs was under (minor) consideration for me at 1.06. I knew I wouldn't get it once I passed.

I like Van Morrison, but Moondance is one of those "I need to convince myself to listen to them" songs now. Does anyone have his classic duet with Roger Waters singing Comfortably Numb at the Berlin Wall?

Comment

• I'm listening to the Sex Pistols album right now. I've never really listened to them much and it's really hard for me to get a perspective on it. My first thought was that "It sounds like every other punk album I've heard" but the context of it being the one that "every other punk album is trying to be" is lost on me a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                From the 'get it together' dept.

Doing it twice, let's go Foot!
                But it was well worth the wait!!

The almighty Zep! The album that showed that Led Zeppelin was more than just a conventional rock band and that they could branch out into wider musical territory.

And i do have the album with the wheel....so cool...
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I sent Foot a PM BEFORE I saw him in this thread, so he's doubly not paying attention. (Or stalling because he can't make up his mind.)

Aqualung -- A very good album, if a bit-heavy handed. Not my favorite Tull album from this decade, however.

Unknown Pleasures -- As I said in the '80s draft, I like what I've heard from Joy Division, but I don't know enough to tell you what's on which album.

Moondance -- Side 1 is basically half of a greatest hits album. Wasn't expecting it as a first rounder, but I can't say I'm totally surprised.

Layla -- Clearly the best work of Clapton's career. Much has been said about his guitar-playing chemistry with Duane Allman, but what really makes this album is his songwriting chemistry with Bobby Whitlock. "Anyday," "Keep on Growing," and "Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad?" are a brilliant next-level fusion of the blues that Clapton cut his teeth on and the hard-driving soul that Whitlock (and briefly Clapton) honed with Delaney and Bonnie.

Hunky Dory -- I knew DMT would go Bowie early. Just wasn't sure which one.

Bat Out of Hell -- Not really my thing, though I do enjoy "Paradise by the Dashboard Light." Broadway/opera-style grandiosity grafted on to rock music usually doesn't work for me (see also: Queen).

Hotel California -- I don't despise the Eagles but I don't love them either. My parents overplayed this album, which didn't help. I actually prefer the non-Henley/Frey material, Joe Walsh's "Pretty Maids All in a Row" and Randy Meisner's "Try and Love Again." The title track is well-constructed (and primarily written by Don Felder; see a pattern?) but if I never heard it again I would be fine with that.

Never Mind the Bollocks -- I didn't bother to put it on my list because I knew it would be gone long before I'd ever consider it. I like it and respect its impact but it's not something I revisit much. When I first heard it, I was surprised how "mainstream" some of it sounds (especially Steve Jones' guitar playing) compared to what punk evolved into in the '80s.

Zeppelin III -- Love how they branched out while still rocking fiercely on "Immigrant Song," "Celebration Day" and "Out on the Tiles." However, it includes their absolute worst song, "Hats Off to (Roy) Harper," which is like nails on a chalkboard for me. Replace that with "Hey, Hey, What Can I Do" and you have a perfect album.
                  Last edited by Erik; 01-02-2014, 11:58 AM.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Wow, another Zep album too. Nice. 3 is a terrific one as well. My my my I'm so happy...I'm gonna join the band...

Comment

• If I was picking strategically, I would have taken Zep III, since it's awesome and I'm probably not going to get one of their albums. It's also their hardest album to find on vinyl.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Yeah, I mean my comments were more a commentary on how I don't really know Punk music that well. I've listened to a few modern bands that TS Garp turned me on to in the past, but nothing really significant. I'm sure if I studied the music comparatively I'd see more differences - I just have never been grabbed by it personally.

So basically what I am saying is the Sex Pistols are no Amy Grant, sir.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                          I'm with some of you guys on the Eagles. Can't deny their musicianship, but if I hear Hotel California (the song) one more time I'm going to beat up a hobo. There are certain songs that all radio stations must agree not to play ever again and this is right up there. Don Henley's pomposity just pushes my irrational dislike for them over the top. I do enjoy Joe Walsh, though, mainly from his many drunken appearances on Howard Stern (and because "In the City" fits so nicely in the movie The Warriors").

Moondance - Can't deny this one. Not something I would have taken, but I do love a good Van Morrison tune.

Blood on the Tracks - I know he's an icon and all, but I just can't hear Dylan without thinking of some hack comedian's or SNL impression of him. This is one album I'll be listening straight through a few times just to see if I "get" it now

Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs - Blech. Again, I respect Clapton's ability but his self indulgence puts me off. Still, I understand his importance and influence, but I just can't listen to too much of him. Watched his Crossroads Guitar fest the other day on Palladia and couldn't sit through it without changing channels and going back to see if the same song was STILL being played.

Hunky Dory - Now we're talkin'. Bowie is the ultimate rock shape-shifter and I suspect at least two other Bowie albums will be going very shortly

Bat out of Hell - I get it, but it's still not my thing. More of a generational thing probably.

Nevermind the Bullocks... - El D - fucker! I knew this'd be going soon. Don't ask Bucky on his thoughts on this one, though. Since Steve Jones was mentioned above, you should check out his show on KROQ (it used to be on the awesome 103.1 channel before it went kaploey) http://kroq.cbslocal.com/personality...nesys-jukebox/

Sticky Fingers - No denying this one. I've found myself getting more and more in to the Stones over the last few years.
                          Haha, I'm gonna keep my thoughts to myself and let El D enjoy it. I also do understand it's importance but to me it's their fashion that was more influential. OK, I guess I didn't really keep my thoughts to myself. Opps.
                          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                            So basically what I am saying is the Sex Pistols are no Amy Grant, sir.
                            They DIDN'T do it all for the glory of love.
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• I get a kick out of hearing you guys say "my parents listened to this album"!!

My parents were listening to Elvis and Johnny Cash....
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                                I get a kick out of hearing you guys say "my parents listened to this album"!!

My parents were listening to Elvis and Johnny Cash....
                                I WISH my parents listened to Elvis and Johnny Cash. My parents were a bit older (my dad mainly) and grew up listening to Dorsey, Miller, Shaw, Goodman, Ellington and all things Big Band. Which, back then as a kid in the 80's HATED, but now have an incredible appreciation for.

Comment

Working...
                                X