No announcement yet.

*** 1970's Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the "bright" side, I can think of two albums that are shoo-ins for the first round that I have no interest in at all.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

The caliber of the first 2-3 rounds is going to be sick. I have a definite 1 & 2 that are sure to go Top 5, but there are so many great classics that it really won't matter if I get a bad draw. I vote for 25 rounds too.
      One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
        I vote for 25 rounds too.
        In some previous drafts -- Dylan and Bowie come to mind -- the draft was extended for those who had more picks they wanted to make, while those who did not were allowed to call it quits at the original endpoint. I don't see why we couldn't do that here.

Comment

Man, I'm really curious to know what you guys are so excited to pick beyond the 15th round. I just threw 300-or-so of the top-rated and top-selling 70's albums into a spreadsheet, and it's disheartening how many of them...

A) I've never heard.
          B) I've never even heard of.
          C) I've heard, and think are "meh."
          D) I've heard, and only liked a few songs.

I guess not liking 70's folk, 70's punk, 70's metal, 70's corporate rock, 70's redneck rock, Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen, or Billy Joel reduces the universe of pick-able albums considerably. LOL

On the other hand, I've been YouTube-ing a bunch of the ones I know by reputation, but haven't actually heard before, and I've already found some really good stuff I'm planning to buy. So hopefully this will be a good education.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
            Man, I'm really curious to know what you guys are so excited to pick beyond the 15th round.
            Just in my stupid prog-rock niche I can go at least 50 deep. Then there's punk/new wave, glam-rock, metal, southern rock, soul, just plain ol' classic rock and pop... and I might even pick a disco record or two as well.

Comment

Pretty sure most of my picks will come from 1979 alone

Comment

I really hope I don't have one of the first few picks - the 70's bands I love have multiple viable choices so I'd like to see how others are leaning before making any decisions.

Comment

Just in my stupid prog-rock niche I can go at least 50 deep. Then there's punk/new wave, glam-rock, metal, southern rock, soul, just plain ol' classic rock and pop... and I might even pick a disco record or two as well.
                  Yeah, I figured you'd have a pile of prog-rock choices. I'm not as hardcore as you in prog-rock, but I can go about 20 deep, easy.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                    I really hope I don't have one of the first few picks - the 70's bands I love have multiple viable choices so I'd like to see how others are leaning before making any decisions.
                    I'm in the same boat. I might have to factor in "positional scarcity" in the first round or three.

Comment

Position scarcity can change substantially depending on how many are drafting. I think I counted 12 confirmed.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        Yeah, I figured you'd have a pile of prog-rock choices. I'm not as hardcore as you in prog-rock, but I can go about 20 deep, easy.
                        Long time no see Chance, good to have some competition! It isn't much fun when you have genres to yourself in these drafts... in the last one there was only one time when I felt I was robbed (Elvis Costello's 'Get Happy'), I got every single album I wanted otherwise.

Mith will dabble in the prog, I think Erik, Sheep and FB will too, not sure about DMT. It's clear Pogues will be all punk, I think Friarfan too; Lucky has a smorgasbord of Southern and roots rock, Revo will be a kid in a candy store with the golden age of FM rock, and I'm interested to see where ElD goes to off the punk/metal/thrash thing. I do know what his #1 pick is, without a doubt. Who am I missing... Swampy and Johnny, don't know where the hell they're going.

Comment

My picks will dabble in a bunch of stuff, but there will certainly be some prog.

Comment

ElD has some metal competition in this one (from me) although the few metal bands from that era have plenty to go around so there won't be much hand-wringing.

Comment

Soundtracks are good right?
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Long time no see Chance, good to have some competition! It isn't much fun when you have genres to yourself in these drafts... in the last one there was only one time when I felt I was robbed (Elvis Costello's 'Get Happy'), I got every single album I wanted otherwise.
                                Like Erik said, I'll be mixing and matching quite a bit; I'm shooting for anywhere from 2-4 prog albums on my list. But I need to mix in some blues rock, Southern rock, metal, punk, pop and a genre or two I'm forgetting since I listened to all of it. I'll stick with pretty well known stuff through 15 rounds, if I have time to go deeper, I'll pull some seriously obscure stuff out from my time as an AOR DJ.

I'm gonna be really interested to see what your first prog rock pick is, assuming you get a shot at whatever your favorite is.
                                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X