Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *** 1970's Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Starting after New-Year ...

I'm not convinced that 25 rounds will be good for everyone. We had 2 very deep decades last time. 15 rounds might be a better number to keep everyone happy? We always have the option to extend it if a hardcore want to continue. Most people like something from the 70's, but only a few of us can say we lived it in the same way we did the 80's and 90's. I was more into nursery rhymes in the the 70's. Little Bo Peep rocked my world.

- Same rules as before? (no covers, live or compilation albums unless they display a large degree of original material)
    - Release date after 1st Jan 1970 and before 31st Dec 1979 in either US or UK.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by johnnya24; 12-24-2013, 10:40 AM.

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    - Release date after 1st Jan 1970 and before 31st Dec 1969 in either US or UK.

Thoughts?
    That's really going to limit the available pool of albums.

I'll play, more for entertainment purposes, if we don't have too many rounds. There's no way I can come up with 25...or even 20 albums...from that decade. The only way it's possible is if we back it up to 1965 or 1966, then maybe we could have a larger pool.
    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
      That's really going to limit the available pool of albums.

I'll play, more for entertainment purposes, if we don't have too many rounds. There's no way I can come up with 25...or even 20 albums...from that decade. The only way it's possible is if we back it up to 1965 or 1966, then maybe we could have a larger pool.
      In that case it should be a 60's and 70's draft (which is probably too deep and covers too much ground). I personally think both decade is strong enough for a draft of it's own, especially if we draft fewer rounds than the 80's and 90's (which when you look at the stuff not drafted, was super deep).

Besides, do we really want to use up all the drafting options at once?

I'm pretty sure the end of the draft will drag me out of my 70's comfort zone ... which can't be a bad thing.

Comment

For me the 70's are still mostly limited to the classics: Zep, Floyd, Bowie, Young, Dylan, punk and post-punk ... but there is much much more than that (never was a huge Who fan).

... which is much better than the vision I had of the 70's when I was a kid: fat Elvis in a jump suit, Dr Hook, Country and Western, keyboard solos, Glam Rock, bearded prog rock stars with open chested jump suits ... and Evil Knievel.

Last edited by johnnya24; 12-24-2013, 05:26 AM.

Comment

He was pointing out your typo. It should say 31st Dec 1979, not 1969.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Every single one of my wildcard picks in the Classic Rock draft was from the '70s, so I could go forever in this thing.

Comment

Im in
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I'm also one of those who could go on forever with just the 70s, and would prefer to keep it to just that, but the idea of including the 60s isn't that far-fetched, because real 'album rock' didn't really start until Revolver/Sgt. Pepper in '66-'67. There might be one or two outliers from '64-'65, but I can almost guarantee that nothing will be taken from '60-64. I'm totally into that era, and I can't think of one I would take.

And '66-'67 won't be all that, either. The vast majority of 60s picks will be from '68-69.

That being said, I would prefer just 70s... being an old fart, adding the 60s adds oh, only about 200 LPs to the list!
                One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                  Im in
                  Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, 2112, A Farewell to Kings, or Hemispheres?

Comment

I'd prefer just 70s as well.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

My vote: 70's only, 15 rounds.

I was thinking last night: This is a decade draft where I might consider keeping live albums in the pool (limiting them to one per roster, maybe?). Excluding them takes a lot of the decade's biggest records and artists out of play. In the 70's, live albums tended to be something more than the blatant corporate repackaging rip-off they are now. Sure, there were exceptions, like that phony "live" Eagles album that was faked in the studio, but in most cases, I think they tended to be sincere presentations of the live performance aspect of the bands. Many were excellent, in some cases definitive for the artists and the era, and it's hard for me to imagine a representative 70's album draft without them.

Just my 2 cents. I'm down with whatever the majority wants.
                      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Same problem as before - unfairly negating previous picks. No-one has thought of a way around it that doesn't create other problems.

It would take too much of the competitiveness away from the early rounds (i.e. the fun part)

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                          Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, 2112, A Farewell to Kings, or Hemispheres?
                          OOOOHHHHH...

Fly By Night is fantastic..but Rivendell is one of the few Rush songs i do not like.
                          Caress of Steel..an overlooked gem.."The Necromancer" is a forerunner to speed metal.
                          2112 is THE greatest prog rock epic, but side 2 is a not real strong overall.
                          A Farewell to Kings is solid from start to finish.."Xanadu" is a masterpieces and "Cygnus X-1" just soars!!
                          Hemispheres is just a tad below 21122 as far as epics go..but unlike 2112 album, side 2 is great.

Will be a very tough choice indeed!!
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

70's only gets my vote..at least 15 rounds..up to 20

Comment

70s only - 15 rounds

Live are too much like greatest hits albums

but this IS the seventies

c'mon everybody sing along

Comment

Working...
                              X