*** 1970's Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheGaffer View Post
    "Captain Jack" literally makes me want to burn down the half of Long Island not already torched by bad development tracts.
    And "Captain Jack" is the only Billy Joel I truly like! Although I have a traumatic memory of my Mom confronting me after overhearing the 'masturbate' line coming from the radio in my room.
    One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      The problem with Billy Joel is that he had too many styles, and the haters focus on the poppy version the most -- the Tell Her About It/Uptown Girl/We Didn't Start the Fire version. Early Billy Joel is great, but by the mid-70s he fine tuned his songs and got away from the epicness (if that's word). You could literally break down the Billy Joel eras: 1972-1976 (epic song era), 1977-1983 (classic rock era), 1984-1987 (I can make pop songs from anything era). Storm Front was an absolutely fantastic album, but it's unfortunate that many people only know We Didn't Start the Fire and bash it. River of Dreams was also better than many give it credit for (take a listen of "Great Wall of China", it would have fit just as well in 1980).

I find Storm Front to be pretty overwrought stuff. It still seemed to be trying way, way too hard, from "That's Not Her Style" to "I Go to Extremes" and the awful "We Didn't Start the Fire." An Innocent Man has a number of good songs, though some other bizarro stuff.

Comment

• If this doesn't make your testicles shrink up...

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
          If this doesn't make your testicles shrink up...

Like a prune

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
              11.09 Inflammable Material - Stiff Little Fingers (1979)
              Nice! Steve Grantley - drummer who came on in later incarnations of SLF - was the drummer for the Alarm for a while. Nice guy. Got to meet him on a couple of occasions. Alternative Ulster is a classic!

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                Nice! Steve Grantley - drummer who came on in later incarnations of SLF - was the drummer for the Alarm for a while. Nice guy. Got to meet him on a couple of occasions. Alternative Ulster is a classic!
                There's 3 stone cold punk classics on that record (Suspect Device, Alternative Ulster and Wasted Life), but I always had a soft spot for the Marley cover, "Johnny Was"

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  There's 3 stone cold punk classics on that record (Suspect Device, Alternative Ulster and Wasted Life), but I always had a soft spot for the Marley cover, "Johnny Was"

I need to listen to this album more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                    I like Billy Joel.

There, I said it
                    I also like Billy Joel.... and completely forgot about him in this draft.
                    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• SLF are a great band. I forgot about that album. Probably would have been on my list.
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Damn, thought about pulling the trigger on Eat a Peach a few times. "Blue Sky" and "Melissa" are two of my favorite songs of all-time while "One Way Out" and "Ain't Wastin' Time No More" are also excellent. The rest of the album didn't really grab me though which is why I kept passing.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                          Damn, thought about pulling the trigger on Eat a Peach a few times. "Blue Sky" and "Melissa" are two of my favorite songs of all-time while "One Way Out" and "Ain't Wastin' Time No More" are also excellent. The rest of the album didn't really grab me though which is why I kept passing.
                          Eat a Peach was another on my shortlist since Round 2. Just always found something else to take.

Comment

• Bucky, did you ever see "Grand Theft Parsons?" Pretty entertaining account of the theft of Parsons' body after he died.

Comment

• I considered taking Eat a Peach + a different live album (which hasn't been picked yet).
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• I took Sweet instead of the Police.

"I'm so afraid" is a monster tune. Live it ascends to the stratosphere with Buckinghams solo.
                                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X