No announcement yet.

*** 80's & 90's Record Draft Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another band I knew I figured I could leave until the end. Would have been very happy with any one of 3 records, and had a sneaking suspicion that they'd go undrafted given previous Sports Bar discussions.

24.01 Daydream Nation - Sonic Youth (1988)

Comment

• 24.02 Lou Reed, New York, 1989

The track people know is "Dirty Boulevard", but my favorites are "Romeo had Julliette", "There is No Time" and "Last Great American Whale"
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• 24.03 I Bificus, Bif Naked, 1998

I called this the album of the year in 1998...and I have yet to find an album that tops it. You probably won't agree...but I don't care!

I prefer her songs with the harder edge, but she has some ballad type songs on this album. This pick will take care of my Canadian slot we all need to fill. Right? She never gained much traction in the states...or maybe anywhere, but she's still making music!

The song that made me fall in love with her, run out, and buy the album:

Twitch!...her boyfriend has tourettes.

Full album:
        Last edited by Pogues; 12-14-2013, 11:00 PM.
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• 24.04 Leonard Cohen - I’m Your Man

people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• 24.05 - Eurythmics - Touch

so 80s but so cool also

Comment

• 24.07 Reachin' (A New Refutation of Time and Space) - Digable Planets (1993)

Comment

• I have way more than two albums that I want to pick. My tiebreaker for this round is "album I was most obsessed with when it came out."

24.08 Time's Up -- Living Colour (1990)

My high school buddies and I were so obsessed with this album that we would sing it, at full volume, from start to finish during car rides. While it has no song with the mass appeal of "Cult of Personality," it is the best display of the amazing talents of Messrs. Reid, Glover, Calhoun and Skillings. Anything and everything is fair game here: speed metal (the title track), R&B balladry ("Love Rears Its Ugly Head"), psychedelia ("This Is the Life"), slinky soul ("Solace of You," "Under Cover of Darkness"), socially conscious rock ("Pride") and hook-laden anthems ("Type," which IMO is their best song). Tying it all together are neat sonic experiments that you might find on a Public Enemy record ("History Lesson," "Ology," "Tag Team Partners"). From start to finish, an exhilarating listen.

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• I also have more albums I want to pick than available slots. My tie-breaker will go to a record that sounds the least like all the other crap on my roster.

24.09 - Puzzle - Dada (1992)

Yes, I actually do like polished guitar pop, so long as it doesn't suck. Sonically, this record is phenomenal - stellar guitar playing, gorgeous production, memorable melodies, clever arrangements, tight hooks, and killer harmonies. The songwriting can occasionally get a little precocious, but the sound on the album is so engaging from start to finish, you'll forgive them. Great concert band, too, by the way - they still tour regularly, and if you like hearing guitar virtuosos live, few can shred it like Michael Gurley.

Tough to isolate favorites, but here are a few standouts -

Dorina:

Dim:

Puzzle:

Moon:

Last edited by senorsheep; 12-16-2013, 01:42 PM.
                  "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                  "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                  "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Up the Irons! This is my favorite, been cranking this since I was 10.

24.10 Powerslave - Iron Maiden (1984)

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• 24.11 Signify - Porcupine Tree (1996)

Progressive rock lives! Sort of!

Porcupine Tree are the only ones who have kept the prog candle burning properly, combining the mystery, majesty and complexity while avoiding the fairy-tales and unicorns. The neo-prog groups like Marillion and Dream Theater and Spock's Beard were always hopelessly corny and backwards-looking.

Highly recommended for you math-rock guys (and Rush and Floyd fans), PT's Steve Wilson is a pretty prolific dude, still going strong, so there is TONS of their stuff to get into if you like it.

The epic closer to Signify, complete with soaring guitar solo at the end:

One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• 24.13 JOYRIDE - Roxette (1991)

Now this is a fucking great pop record.

"The beauty of Roxette is that the duo of Per Gessle and Marie Fredriksson can do practically anything in terms of Top 40 music. From the quiet desperation of "Spending My Time" to the chanting carnival of "Joyride" to the folky "Church of Your Heart," they bring a worldliness to their lyrics and melodies that most pop A-listers don't even have the imagination to dream of. This, the follow-up to their breakthrough disc, Look Sharp!, sees through on what that collection hinted at, meaning most of the songs sound like they were designed to be hit singles, not just filler between two or three good cuts."

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• The chick singing

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• My favorite Roxette song (not from JOYRIDE):

Comment

• 24.16......"Tattoo You," The Rolling Stones

25.01......."Supernatural," Santana

Comment

• Picks up:

24.12 (mjl) Skipped
                                24.13 (Mithrandr) Picked
                                24.14 (heyelander) Skipped
                                24.15 (lucky) Skipped

24.16 (Revo) Picked
                                25.01 (Revo) Picked

25.02 (lucky) Skipped