No announcement yet.

*** 80's & 90's Record Draft Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23.03 Robert Cray - Strong Persuader (1986)

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• 23.04 STAR - Belly (1993)

THE best alternative rock album sung by a chick.

"Using the trancy harmonies of dream pop as a foundation, Donelly expands the genre's boundaries, trimming away its pretensions and incorporating a flair for sweet, concise pop hooks and folk-rock inflections. She also spikes her airy melodies with disarmingly disturbing lyrics. Images of betrayal and death float throughout the album, but what hits home initially -- and what stays after the album is finished -- are the hooks, whether it's the rolling singalong of "Gepetto," the surging "Slow Dog," the melancholy "Stay," or the cool, detached sexiness of "Feed the Tree."

My favorite tune

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• The hit single which is another great song:

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• One more from Belly:

Comment

• 23.04 - This is Spinal Tap (soundtrack) (1984)

I am not sure how I forgot about this for so long given how many times I listened to this in high school. I really should have taken this 5-10 rounds earlier.

In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• 23.06 Freedom of Choice - Devo (1980)

The last great Devo album, Side One was the highlight of any dorm new-wave/punk party (along with the B-52s). When 'Whip It' first came out, drunk girls on the dance floor were really, really into it. I have fond memories of this stuff.

Superchunk's killer version:

One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Here's another band I've been waiting on, hoping that someone else would pick another album but it looks like I may be the only one. My wife and I saw them play live a couple years ago with an embarrassingly small crowd of about 200...Tim Booth (lead singer) said after the first song "looks like we're going to have an intimate evening together". And they proceeded to play every single song I wanted to hear, fantastic! He also walked out and danced with the crowd for 'Sometimes', a song from their following album which was their biggest commercial success, and the album I thought might get picked by someone else.

21.07 Seven - James (1992)

'Ring the Bells'

'Protect Me'

'Born of Frustration'

'Heavens'
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• 23.08 - The Gathering - Infected Mushroom (1999)

First on the board with underground Israeli goa trance - w00t! Headphones required, drugs recommended...

Psycho:

The Gathering:

Eh, fuggit, you get the idea, here's the whole album, you can pretty much drop the needle anywhere and something cool will be happening. The opening track Release Me has heavy metal guitar samples and ironic Independence Day movie dialog, if either helps you:

Last edited by senorsheep; 12-13-2013, 12:55 PM.
                  "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                  "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                  "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• I'm going to skip Erik, because I can't fathom he'd be remotely interested in my pick and I'm here currently.

21.10 Walk Under Ladders, Joan Armatrading (1981)

A couple of great tracks in "The Weakness in Me" and "I'm Lucky" but all in all it's an album that I can relax to.

Comment

• This album is closer than you might think to Joan Armatrading. Oh, and we were off on the numbering again.

23.09 Workbook -- Bob Mould (1989)

Husker Du had just broken up. What to do next? Completely break with the band's style and reinvent yourself, of course. Also, write some of the best songs of your career. Almost every track is acoustic, but this is no twee folk exercise. The intensity of the vocals and lyrics, particularly on "Sinners and Their Repentances" and "Brasilia Crossed with Trenton," is haunting. Yet there's plenty of gorgeous melodies here, too: "See a Little Light" is probably the most FUN song Mould has ever written. In case you had forgotten his past as you were listening, he ends with the electric mayhem of "Whichever Way the Wind Blows," which takes the Husker style to 11.

In his autobiography, Mould cited this as one of his two best works, the other being Copper Blue. (He's still kind of bitter about the whole Husker Du experience.) What they had in common was that he had plenty of time to write and prepare them, and put a whole lot of effort into them without interference. The allmusic.com writeup of this album claims it was an influence on Automatic for the People and In Utero. I don't know if that's true, but it did mark the evolution of Mould from one of punk's greatest songwriters to one of his generation's greatest songwriters, regardless of genre.

Here's the full album. It opens with an acoustic guitar instrumental, so no, you're not in the wrong place.

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• swampdragon skipped

23.12 Siouxsie and the Banshees - Peepshow

people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• 23.14 We Get There When We Do, Suddenly, Tammy!, 1995

Described as Carole King meets Charlie Brown (or Styx meets Barbara Streisand), they admit to being influenced by Styx and Kansas...somewhat. Suddenly, Tammy! was a three member band: Beth Sorrentino on lead vocals and piano, her brother Jay Sorrentino on drums, and Ken Heitmueller on bass. Catch that? No guitar.

I'm going to admit now, this isn't probably the type of band I would have been attracted to very much. It's not really my style of music, especially with what I was listening to back in the mid 1990s. But I started listening to them for one main reason...I know Ken Heitmueller. I don't mean like I met him once, got his autograph..whatever. His dad and my dad worked for YEARS together. I went with my dad to his house on several occasions. Ken graduated a year in front of me in my high school. Actually, all three graduated from my high school. But being an acquaintance of Ken got me listening to the band.

Some of you guys probably just won't like them (El Diablo...I'm looking at you!)...but I have hope some of you might. Beth has a beautiful voice and is a pretty damn good song writer.

They have received comparisons to Ben Folds...who gained popularity after Suddenly, Tammy! was cut from Warner Bros. during the 1996 Christmas Massacre.

And yes, they did open for Suede at one point. Along with Warren Zevon, Melissa Etheridge, Matthew Sweet, The Cranberries, Ben Folds Five, and Jeff Buckley.

Check them out...who knows...you might like them!

My favorite (music video):

Another favorite of their fans:

Slowing it down...a wonderful ballad (no, I have no idea what's up with this video):

A song from the POV after she was beaten:
                          Last edited by Pogues; 12-14-2013, 01:05 AM.
                          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• 23.15 Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble, The Sky is Crying, 1991

Put out by his brother after SRV's death, this the SRV album that should have been taken first
                            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• 23.11 Just Won't Burn - Susan Tedeschi - 1998

a bluesy chick - she and husband are part of the jam band and blues scene - he plays with the Allman's still

Comment

• This was a REALLY tough choice. I can't believe one other REM record is still out there. New Adventures was unquestioningly my favourite REM record before the REM Draft. It's not as clear cut anymore. Says a lot about the band that this is the 6th REM record selected, and I'm still debating among the remainder which is my favourite.
                                Went with the nostalgic / sentimental choice:

23.12 New Adventures In Hifi - REM (1996)

Wake Up Bomb

Undertow

New Test Leper

... the whole enchilada

Comment

Working...
                                X