No announcement yet.

*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I believe all that we have left are 25th rounders from ElD, Fresno Bob and Johnny, and Lucky's last two picks whenever he gets to them.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
      So am I up now?
      Yes indeed.

Plenty of "wussy Britpop" still available.

Comment

• One "New Wave" album that I had queued for a long time was Missing Persons - Spring Session M.

There's other new wave acts I like more (especially Psychedelic Furs), but Missing Persons had the decency to put three hits on one album - Words, Walking in LA and Destination Unknown.
        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Wow, I assumed Thriller was a first-rounder, never bothered to check it. Thriller, Billie Jean, Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', Beat It are all iconic
          people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• I'm glad to see Thriller go. It would have somehow tainted the draft if it didn't.

I'm surprised to see Cyndi Lauper's 'She's So Unusual' get shut out, that had at least 6 hits on it, including a couple of bona fide classics. Not that I would have picked it.

Sade's "Diamond Life' got snubbed too. That was a huge one, and on my list.
            One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Some I had on my list but passed for various reasons:

The Who - Face Dances or It's Hard
              The Kinks - Give the People What They Want
              The Hardline According to Terrence Trent D'Arby
              The Cars - Candy-O
              Journey - Escape
              J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame
              John Lennon - Double Fantasy (which I knew would draw Foot's ire)
              Howard Jones - Dream Into Action

Comment

• I also had a Kinks album (State of Confusion), but it didn't pass the "listen to the whole album" test.

Same thing with Double Fantasy. Amazing singles from Lennon. The Yoko hate can feel overdone, if you haven't tried to listen all the way through this in a long time. Letting her do anything on an album is an Andy Kaufman-level cruel joke.
                Last edited by Controller Jacobs; 12-20-2013, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                  I also had a Kinks album (State of Confusion), but it didn't pass the "listen to the whole album" test.

Same thing with Double Fantasy. Amazing singles from Lennon. The Yoko hate can feel overdone, if you haven't tried to listen all the way through this in a long time. Letting he do anything on an album is an Andy Kaufman-level cruel joke.
                  Agree on both points.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
                    I'm glad to see Thriller go. It would have somehow tainted the draft if it didn't.

I'm surprised to see Cyndi Lauper's 'She's So Unusual' get shut out, that had at least 6 hits on it, including a couple of bona fide classics. Not that I would have picked it.

agreed - SADE was the first CD I ever bought - before that vinyl or cassettes

Comment

• Other options that popped into my head at various points:

Definitely Maybe, The Masterplan - Oasis
                      Nowhere - Ride
                      Adore, Pisces Iscariot - Smashing Pumpkins
                      Mystery Road, Fly Me Courageous, Wrapped in Sky - Drivin N Cryin
                      Fisherman's Blues, This Is The Sea - The Waterboys
                      Robbie Robertson - Robbie Robertson
                      Living With The Law - Chris Whitley
                      Still Got The Blues - Gary Moore
                      Twin Peaks soundtrack - Angelo Badalamenti
                      Bellybutton - Jellyfish
                      New Miserable Experience - The Gin Blossoms
                      Hard Promises - Tom Petty
                      Duke - Genesis
                      Music From The Unrealized Film Script, Dusk At Cubist Castle - The Olivia Tremor Control
                      Ling - Seed

I could easily add twenty (or forty) more to this list if I went home and scanned my music collection.
                      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
                        I'm glad to see Thriller go. It would have somehow tainted the draft if it didn't.

My last pick was between Seal's 2nd album and Diamond Life
                        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          The Who - Face Dances or It's Hard
                          The Kinks - Give the People What They Want
                          The Hardline According to Terrence Trent D'Arby
                          The Cars - Candy-O
                          Journey - Escape
                          J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame
                          John Lennon - Double Fantasy (which I knew would draw Foot's ire)
                          Howard Jones - Dream Into Action
                          Face Dances came out in 1979. It's Hard, aside from the incredible "Eminence Front," is not very good; easily the worst Who album.

I enjoy the late '70s/early '80s Kinks but the best album from that period was Low Budget, which missed the draft period by one year.

I had Freeze Frame on vinyl. To a 10-year-old boy, "Piss on the Wall" is the best song ever.

What the hell happened to Terence Trent D'Arby? He was massively hyped (as an artistic force, not just a commercial one), had a few hits, and then nothing.

The Cars' first album is a masterpiece -- but too early for this draft. The other ones to me seem like pale imitations of it.

Comment

• White City - Pete Townsend
                            is like the Robbie Robertson album
                            some great stuff but not quite a full album

Absolute Torch and Twang - KD Lang - was on my list too
                            Susan Tedeschi - Just wont burn

The Cars are thought of as an 80s band but the two good albums are from the 70s

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                              Other options that popped into my head at various points:

Definitely Maybe, The Masterplan - Oasis
                              Nowhere - Ride
                              Adore, Pisces Iscariot - Smashing Pumpkins
                              Mystery Road, Fly Me Courageous, Wrapped in Sky - Drivin N Cryin
                              Fisherman's Blues, This Is The Sea - The Waterboys
                              Robbie Robertson - Robbie Robertson
                              Living With The Law - Chris Whitley
                              Still Got The Blues - Gary Moore
                              Twin Peaks soundtrack - Angelo Badalamenti
                              Bellybutton - Jellyfish
                              New Miserable Experience - The Gin Blossoms
                              Hard Promises - Tom Petty
                              Duke - Genesis
                              Music From The Unrealized Film Script, Dusk At Cubist Castle - The Olivia Tremor Control
                              Ling - Seed

I could easily add twenty (or forty) more to this list if I went home and scanned my music collection.
                              I was really into Robertson's first two albums; I think Storyville is slightly better than the first one. I didn't have them on my list because I haven't been drawn to them in forever.

Adore seemed real weird compared to the Pumpkins' previous output. It's probably something I should revisit but haven't because of the Corgan Douchebag factor. Pisces is a nice listen but it's a collection of B-sides and such.

The first side of Duke is outstanding; the second side is weighed down by some sappy ballads. I like Abacab better but the inclusion of the dreadful "Whodunnit?" was a deal-breaker for inclusion on my list.

Hard Promises is one of many Petty albums where the singles tower over most of the rest of the material.

I can't stand the fucking Gin Blossoms.

Comment

• Pavement is probably the band I was most surprised got skunked. Well, kind of surprised - I seem to remember they are not a favorite in these parts. I realize they suffer from Indie Sacred Cow Backlash Syndrome, but they were a pretty influential band back in the day, and have several worthy albums to choose from.
                                "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                                "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Working...
                                X