*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
    This thread made me go back and rediscover my early music roots - where bands like INXS, U2, Oingo Boingo, The Police, etc. ruled my world. Specifically INXS (since we talked about them earlier). Classic College Radio on SiriusXM just played this...

What a great example of early 80's New Wave.
    What do you think the budget for that video was, about $250?

Love the Kiss "S"!

They had a great run with Shabooh Shoobah -> The Swing -> Listen Like Thieves, and Welcome To Wherever You Are was a great post-hype sleeper.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      Latter released in 2002.
      Probably a good thing I wouldn't have picked it, then.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

• Hey, by the way, here's the set list from The Black Crowes show Friday night. I thought this crew would appreciate the tasty selection of covers. If you were or are a fan of the band - or of loud rock guitar music - go see'em, they sound great. Jackie Greene (Gov't Mule, Phil Lesh) is playing with them - dude is a freakin' unbelievable guitarist. Take ear plugs.

Been a Long Time (Waiting on Love) - Before The Frost
        P.25 London - Amorica
        Gone - Amorica
        Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution - Warpaint
        Sister Luck - Shake Your Money Maker
        She Gave Good Sunflower - Amorica
        What Is Home - Before The Frost
        Thorn in My Pride - Southern Harmony and Musical Companion
        Torn and Frayed - Rolling Stones cover
        The Last Place That Love Lives - Before The Frost
        Dreams - Allman Brothers Band cover
        Soul Singing - Lions
        Sting Me - Southern Harmony and Musical Companion
        Twice as Hard - Shake Your Money Maker

Encore:

There's Gold in Them Hills - Warpaint
        Oh! Sweet Nuthin' - Velvet Underground cover

Comment

• Just last week, I listened to SRATS for the first time in years...had forgotten how good that album is. 'Circle' is another great tune.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
            How many of you are thinking right now "I can't believe two Camper Van Beethoven albums have been picked, but not one by ***insert band name here***!"
            Milli Vanilli?
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                I kept looking at Wilco too and got hung up with the idea that Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is their best album - so picking a second best album by a band didnt seem right

I think that your point is
                Being There is their best album
                or
                It is still good enough to make the list
                Being There is a towering achievement but not quite as good as YHF. But it's still more than good enough to warrant being drafted here. And since I can't take YHF, well...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                  Of course I have to ask why?
                  Overproduced, too much synthesizers, cliched lyrics, a huge letdown from a once-great act, reliance on commercial calculation instead of inspiration. All things that were pervasive throughout the '80s and dragged down the mainstream music of the era.

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                    Dreams - Allman Brothers Band cover
                    Heh, they played this in 1992 in Philly when I saw them on the Southern Harmony tour. Preceded by urging everyone to see the Allmans a few days later (which we did).

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                      Overproduced, too much synthesizers, cliched lyrics, a huge letdown from a once-great act, reliance on commercial calculation instead of inspiration. All things that were pervasive throughout the '80s and dragged down the mainstream music of the era.
                      I think it is a good album. "Dreams" is one of my favorite VH songs. They ventured more into pop type music and so i understand why many fans jumped ship or were disappointed because they thought Hagar would bring a more rock and roll style to VH, but he didn't.
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• CJ obviously dumping bands anyone has ever heard of...
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                          CJ obviously dumping bands anyone has ever heard of...
                          If you like the Pixies but have never heard of the Amps, that's on you
                          people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                            CJ obviously dumping bands anyone has ever heard of...
                            Yeah, while many here have taken bands I've heard of but never listened to, him and Foot (surprisingly enough) have taken the most of artists I never knew existed.

Comment

• Some albums I would have liked in my list:
                              Rain Dogs
                              Nebraska
                              London Calling
                              The Pretenders
                              Making Movies
                              people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                                If you like the Pixies but have never heard of the Amps, that's on you
                                Good stuff!

Also, another excellent pick Erik.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X