• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
    2011 Best New Artist Nominees:
    Drake
    Florence + The Machine
    Esperanza Spalding
    Justin Bieber
    Mumford and Sons

Winner: Esperanza Spalding

You could argue that maybe Florence + The Machine or Mumford and Sons should have won, but they got correct by simply not giving it to Bieber.
    Are we certain "Esperanza Spalding" isn't Bieber's Ron Mexico?
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      The Grammy's are a travesty. Have they ever got any award in any category remotely correct?
      They have actually. Arcade Fire won best album in 2011, Adele in 2012, Outkast in 2004, etc. I was surprisingly impressed when I checked.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I still have a bunch of stuff to listen to from the last 2 rounds.
        I'm about 6 rounds behind.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          10.16......"Mama Said," Lenny Kravitz
          Nice one! Definitely my favorite of his.
          Last edited by senorsheep; 11-20-2013, 03:37 PM.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• So was another album I couldn't escape as a denizen of a suburban Philly high school in the late 80s. Speaking of things that were inescapably popular in the 80s, when's someone gonna take THAT album?
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
              They have actually. Arcade Fire won best album in 2011, Adele in 2012, Outkast in 2004, etc. I was surprisingly impressed when I checked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_...um_of_the_Year
              Making a point rather than a literal statement of fact

Though good example of how behind the times they are:

Stankonia > Speakerboxx/The Love Below
              Funeral > The Suburbs

Not saying it isn't great The Suburbs won, but Funeral probably never even got into the discussion let alone a nomination, and that's a Top 5 record of the entire decade, some would say the best.

Occasionally they snag a good record, but usually the selections are dreadful. It seems like a bunch of clueless old men making these decisions.

Comment

• Lenny Kravitz was one of the best live gigs I ever went to. Didn't expect much, knew enough of the songs to make it fun, and he was awesome.

Comment

Lenny Kravitz was one of the best live gigs I ever went to. Didn't expect much, knew enough of the songs to make it fun, and he was awesome.
                  Yep, same with me. I took my wife, who when he took the stage said "He's black??"

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    So was another album I couldn't escape as a denizen of a suburban Philly high school in the late 80s. Speaking of things that were inescapably popular in the 80s, when's someone gonna take THAT album?
                    The Grease 2 Soundtrack does not have enough original content.

Comment

• Actually Lenny is mixed. Mother is Roxie Roker from The Jeffersons, father is Saul Kravitz, who was an agent or something like that.

Finally heard from Overkill, who I had PMed when we were trying to organize the Lou Reed draft. He says he's really busy right now but would like to be informed whenever we set up another one.
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                        Actually Lenny is mixed. Mother is Roxie Roker from The Jeffersons, father is Saul Kravitz, who was an agent or something like that.

Finally heard from Overkill, who I had PMed when we were trying to organize the Lou Reed draft. He says he's really busy right now but would like to be informed whenever we set up another one.
                        I PM'd him before the the draft ... he only checked in this morning. I desperately wanted to get a few more arghs from ElDiablo after his "no-one will take any of my picks" pronouncement

Comment

• Hmm... I think I merged two JCM albums into one in my head. I think I like 2 songs off the other one more than anything on Scarecrow, but Scarecrow is a better album overall... not that I think either was on anyone else's list.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• I forgot to put up the Billy Squier article from last Sunday:

Ask anyone under 25 if they’ve heard of Billy Squier, and the answer is likely no. But that doesn’t mean they haven’t heard him. Squier has one of the most unusual stories in all of pop culture: a …

He became the only rock star in history to have his entire career killed by a single video.

In their 2012 oral history, “I Want My MTV,” authors Rob Tannenbaum and Craig Marks gave an entire chapter to it.

“When I saw the video, my jaw dropped,” Squier told them. “It was diabolical. I looked at it and went, ‘What the f- -k is this?’ ”

Directed by choreographer Kenny Ortega and shot two weeks before its premiere, the video opens with a shirtless Squier lolling on a bed of satin sheets, bouncing around a pseudo-industrial loft, pawing his way along the floor and ripping off his shirt, all filtered through a soft pink neon haze. The video is so unironic it seems as though it must be ironic.

“My girlfriend said something like, ‘This is gonna ruin you,’ ” Squier recalled. “I was a mess . . . It’s like ‘Rock Me Tonite’ is an MBA course on how a video can go really wrong.”

Within days, he said, “I was playing to half-houses. I went from 15,000 and 20,000 people a night to 10,000 people. Everything I’d worked for my whole life was crumbling, and I couldn’t stop it. How can a four-minute video do that?”
                            One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Van Halen - love the pick. I saw them on this tour. Not the greatest show due to a goofy drum solo, a goofier bass solo, and not enough songs.

Billy Idol - not a huge fan. Ok music though.

Peter Gabriel - see Billy Idol

Johnny Cougar - Love that album..especially "Rumbleseat" and "Rain on the Scarecrow"
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
                                I forgot to put up the Billy Squier article from last Sunday:

Ask anyone under 25 if they’ve heard of Billy Squier, and the answer is likely no. But that doesn’t mean they haven’t heard him. Squier has one of the most unusual stories in all of pop culture: a …

He became the only rock star in history to have his entire career killed by a single video.

In their 2012 oral history, “I Want My MTV,” authors Rob Tannenbaum and Craig Marks gave an entire chapter to it.

“When I saw the video, my jaw dropped,” Squier told them. “It was diabolical. I looked at it and went, ‘What the f- -k is this?’ ”

Directed by choreographer Kenny Ortega and shot two weeks before its premiere, the video opens with a shirtless Squier lolling on a bed of satin sheets, bouncing around a pseudo-industrial loft, pawing his way along the floor and ripping off his shirt, all filtered through a soft pink neon haze. The video is so unironic it seems as though it must be ironic.

“My girlfriend said something like, ‘This is gonna ruin you,’ ” Squier recalled. “I was a mess . . . It’s like ‘Rock Me Tonite’ is an MBA course on how a video can go really wrong.”

Within days, he said, “I was playing to half-houses. I went from 15,000 and 20,000 people a night to 10,000 people. Everything I’d worked for my whole life was crumbling, and I couldn’t stop it. How can a four-minute video do that?”
                                The book "I want my MTV" is a fun read. Especially for those of us who were there from the beginning of MTV.
                                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X