*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
    Aeroplane is amazing. Every song is a killer. It had totally slipped my mind because I associate it with the '00s, when the cult surrounding it took off (and when I was introduced to it).
    Yea, I also was introduced to several years after the fact, actually by RJ's own Teenwolf. They are actually touring again, and it pains me deeply that they aren't coming anywhere close to me.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
      Errrrr... so live albums are back in?

I don't really care one way or the other, I just want to be clear on the rules.
      Yeah ... I need people to be "that guy". With some of these records I'm just going automatic.

Swampy actually PM'd me about this. I initially had no clue what he was asking me ... then I concluded that he was PM'ing me to post his pick for him (wrong!).

... now I realise the 4 points he PM'd me was to make a case for the record's inclusion. So this is kindoff my fault.

I certainly don't feel like an expert in Talking Heads. I own 2 records, and a bunch of MP3's and live recordings. Other folk will have to decide if the record meets the criteria of "original content". I'm gathering from the initial consensus that it doesn't.

If so Swampdragon can repick. But don't blame him, because the way that confused conversation went late last night, it must have seemed like I was giving him the all clear.

Comment

• The "high pick" portion of my list is down to 6 albums by 5 artists. Will any of them make it back to me?
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
          It doesn't matter to me. I can buy the argument that Stop Making Sense was more a concept album than a run-of-the-mill concert record. I was just curious what else that might put in play. There's a certain live concert performance, for instance, that might now be in the mix.
          The aim is to avoid people picking live recordings as compilations. That is why the original content proviso is in there.

Y'all will have to debate if Stop Making Sense should be allowed ... but on its own merits, not so you can smuggle in a record of your own later

If it's all live versions of previous releases, I'll probably black ball it because of the door that opens. It's not fair someone devotes a first rounder to X Album, and then someone pops up with half those songs on a live recording the 10th. That's the important point.

I'll double check when I get home. Hard to surf around here.
          Last edited by johnnya24; 11-11-2013, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• My vote is to let it stand. I don't feel like it diminishes any other Talking Heads album picks.
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Neutral Milk Hotel is the reason I hoped Fresno Bob would make my decision easier and take The Bends! I was sure The Bends wouldn't make it to me, so I'd decided I would take a Pixes record and Neutral Milk Hotel's "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" at the turn.

Tactically I had to pick the Bends and hope that NMH made it back. That was the right play. I knew there was little chance it gets past DMT (maybe 20%), but you gotta gamble a little bit. Wasn't happy when Pogues took The Blue Album, because I know how much DMT loves that record. Meant there was less chance NMH make it back.

Ah well ...

Awesome record. Legit 1st rounder IMO. If The Bends hadn't been there I'd have gone:

1.16 NMH
              2.01 Doolittle

Every time a song from this record pops up on my phone, I end up listening to the entire record, then sticking Two-Headed Boy Pt2 on repeat for hours ... "God is a place you will wait for the rest of your life"

Had the record cover as my avatar for ages. It also became a bit of an Internet Meme with people adding faces to the blank space on the album cover.

Last edited by johnnya24; 11-11-2013, 12:50 PM.

Comment

• Have just listened to some tunes from Neutral Milk Hotel. Initial reaction is that the songs are enjoyable but a bit too monotonous for me to listen to all that often. I could see busting the album out every few years or so...
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  Neutral Milk Hotel is the reason I hoped Fresno Bob would make my decision easier and take The Bends! I was sure The Bends wouldn't make it to me, so I'd decided I would take a Pixes record and Neutral Milk Hotel's "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" at the turn.

Tactically I had to pick the Bends and hope that NMH made it back. That was the right play. I knew there was little chance it gets past DMT (maybe 20%), but you gotta gamble a little bit. Wasn't happy when Pogues took The Blue Album, because I know how much DMT loves that record. Meant there was less chance NMH make it back.

Ah well ...

Awesome record. Legit 1st rounder IMO. If The Bends hadn't been there I'd have gone:

1.16 NMH
                  2.01 Doolittle

Every time a song from this record pops up on my phone, I end up listening to the entire record, then sticking Two-Headed Boy Pt2 on repeat for hours.

Had the record cover as my avatar for ages also.
                  Legit first rounder?? Only in this draft will i ever hear those words about Neutral Milk Hotel!! .

I feel like Lucky when he posted about two Pixies albums being selected already!!
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Neutral Milk Hotel is the reason I hoped Fresno Bob would make my decision easier and take The Bends! I was sure The Bends wouldn't make it to me, so I'd decided I would take a Pixes record and Neutral Milk Hotel's "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" at the turn.

Ah well ...

1.16 NMH
                    2.01 Doolittle

Every time a song from this record pops up on my phone, I end up listening to the entire record, then sticking Two-Headed Boy Pt2 on repeat for hours.

Had the record cover as my avatar for ages also.
                    Same here, that's why I end up listening to it so often. My top tier consisted of OKC, ITAOTS, Weezer and two that are still out there. Next pick is going to be tough if they're both still there.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      Legit first rounder?? Only in this draft will i ever hear those words about Neutral Milk Hotel!!

I feel like Lucky when he posted about two Pixies albums being selected already!!
                      It may have only been a private battle between me and DMT ... but it was knives out

Edit: says the guy who picked a Bob Mould solo record in the first.

Incidentally, ITAOTS is a fascinating record. On the surface it's about Jeff Magnum's life-long fascination with Anne Frank (unconfirmed, but there isn't much doubt) ... but when you delve a bit deeper, it seems more like an obsession, and an unhealthy obsession in places. He puts himself into many of the songs with her, and in intimate situations. So much passion and depth to this record. Since I discovered this record, it's never been off my play list. Like DMT, I probably listen to this start to finish more than any other record.
                      Last edited by johnnya24; 11-11-2013, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Neutral Milk Hotel... Awesome record.
                        Yeah, a lot of people don't get this one, even people who normally like the same stuff I do, but I think this record is freakin' brilliant. Very literary, but packs an emotional gut punch.
                        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

It may have only been a private battle between me and DMT ... but it was knives out

Edit: says the guy who picked a Bob Mould solo record in the first.
                          I figured no one else would want Bob Mould and knew it wasn't a first rounder with this crew.. or even a 15th rounder..i just wanted to pick my favorite album from the 80's and 90's with my first pick...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                            I figured no one else would want Bob Mould and knew it wasn't a first rounder with this crew.. or even a 15th rounder..i just wanted to pick my favorite album from the 80's and 90's with my first pick...
                            That's kindoff what I wanted the draft to be about.

Comment

• Neil Young is/was/ and always will be COOL - even when he was a shocking pink

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                                Neil Young is/was/ and always will be COOL - even when he was a shocking pink
                                As per the above discussion ... you may need to re-pick your Talking Heads pick.

Personally I don't mind giving it a pass as a one off. But I don't want to open the door to more Live compilations negating other peoples picks.

... and to add, I had no clue what we were communicating about last night ... I guess you were asking me if it was OK ... didn't get that at all

Comment

Working...
                                X