Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What took all the air out of the Sports Bar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously though, i'm not worried. Once the fantasy baseball season winds down, a lot of people need to take a break and recharge. The site will get busy again once spring training gets closer.

Jason, maybe you can promote the site in next year's Fantasy Baseball Guide magazine to attract new members. Even a small reference in your profile could go a long way.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
      Seriously though, i'm not worried. Once the fantasy baseball season winds down, a lot of people need to take a break and recharge. The site will get busy again once spring training gets closer.

Jason, maybe you can promote the site in next year's Fantasy Baseball Guide magazine to attract new members. Even a small reference in your profile could go a long way.
      If I remember correctly, Jason has promoted RJ in various places (on BP podcasts, on BP, in other writing venues, etc.), and for some reason or another, we're still where we are now. There has to be a niche on the web for a fantasy discussion board that doesn't pander to the newbs and masses (i.e. Rotoworld) while still allowing room for intelligent and(/or) loquacious new members to join up and feel welcome. For some reason, though, this site and its members haven't been able to latch onto the new board members and make them feel like they're part of our conversation and like we want to be a part of their's. Either we're not active enough to engage them in what they want to talk about or perhaps we're not inviting enough -- heck, I don't know.

Whatever the case, I'd be glad to post here a little more often if it made a difference. I refuse to believe that Rotoworld's fantasy baseball forum is the only message board that can survive in this Twitter-crazed world. Besides, that board only nets good intel for the reader in approximately 1 out of every million posts (an exaggeration, but it's still awful). Where did all the intelligent fantasy conversations migrate to? I know Twitter is partially responsible, but it can't be the only culprit?

Comment

The reduced posting on RJ may just be a symptom that message boards in general are dying.

I started a 9-to-5 office job in July and that has greatly reduced my time on here, as has my 2 1/2-year-old son, who wants my attention when I am home.

If we're looking for something else to draft, how about Lou Reed/VU songs? Would be appropriate.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

A lot of the original crew have kids now. The Fanball fiasco didn't help. Twitter and other social media have taken over some of the functions that message boards once served, as Erik alludes to.

I'm so restricted by my job in what I can say over in the baseball forum that it has generally put a crimp in my participation in the site. I've transformed more into lurker than a poster.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
            A lot of the original crew have kids now. The Fanball fiasco didn't help. Twitter and other social media have taken over some of the functions that message boards once served, as Erik alludes to.

I'm so restricted by my job in what I can say over in the baseball forum that it has generally put a crimp in my participation in the site. I've transformed more into lurker than a poster.
            I thought you were still on here looking for a personal assistant.
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
              I thought you were still on here looking for a personal assistant.
              Would you be my personal assistant?

(I feel odd asking that of a deity.)
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                Would you be my personal assistant?

(I feel odd asking that of a deity.)
                I have been assisting you for years...ever since you became a follower.

You must look elsewhere for an assistant solely for the workplace.
                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                  Heye and I will get to work on that. Between us, we've come up with two of more random and fun ones...and we're both mildly deranged. Not like Steve or FriarFan....but just mildly.
                  Aww, you like me, you really like me.

Hey, wait.

Comment

This place is still "home" to me for fantasy sports.

Some of the best minds in the Fantasy business have been through this site and many still contribute.

Maybe not as much....but it's still great in my mind.

I hope it never goes away....

Hey, just my thoughts.

Gris

Comment

I always forget that I am umjewman, not umjewboy (thanks, Jason!) so my login gets bounced almost very time I try to login. That, and the 9 month old kid lead to less posting (but I still lurk a bit). But probably more the login thing.

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
                        This place is still "home" to me for fantasy sports.

Some of the best minds in the Fantasy business have been through this site and many still contribute.

Maybe not as much....but it's still great in my mind.

I hope it never goes away....

Hey, just my thoughts.

Gris
                        never go away, exactly my point for the thread.

Comment

I clicked on this evening and saw 9 active threads. Everyone needs to chip in once in a while just for the sake of the community IMO. Even if it's just to tell ElDiablo to eat a bag of dicks.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                            I clicked on this evening and saw 9 active threads. Everyone needs to chip in once in a while just for the sake of the community IMO. Even if it's just to tell ElDiablo to eat a bag of dicks.
                            Eat a bag of dicks, Johnny.

Just doing my part.

Comment

How about a complimentary bag of dicks for everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Long John View Post
                                Call it evolution or why the world turns the way it does.

However, I do have a plan that will keep the Empire out of here forever.
                                Where are you, man?

Comment

Working...
                                X