No announcement yet.

Yeah so global warming huh...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I blame Nullnor, who is his own religion himself.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• It would help a lot of the proposed programs had believable targets and goals. Nothing Al Gore proposed had either. Instead we have had the ethanol initiative, which wastes energy, subsidizes a dirtier burning fuel, causes mechanical and emmission problems in almost all gasoline vehicles and has high fructose corn syrup as it's primary by product. Not a success, but now deeply entrenched.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
        It would help a lot of the proposed programs had believable targets and goals. Nothing Al Gore proposed had either. Instead we have had the ethanol initiative, which wastes energy, subsidizes a dirtier burning fuel, causes mechanical and emmission problems in almost all gasoline vehicles and has high fructose corn syrup as it's primary by product. Not a success, but now deeply entrenched.

J
        There are solutions, viable and real. However these will NEVER gain the traction they should because there is just too much money in maintaining the status quo.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
          Yea, not giving you a thing. Feel free to say I am just ranting. Any 5 second google search you input will yield similar numbers, regarding percent of US belief, and declining percent as you capture more educated science backgrounds but I will not be caught in the game of being pinned to a particular site. BTW, Neil deGrasse Tyson world renowned astrophysicist, and Sam Harris, neuroscientist, have colored my specs thru the hundreds of posted youtube talks, as well as my uncle Neal Cohen, who is a known neuroscientist and my chats with him.
          I know Neal, I just can't remember how I know him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            I know Neal, I just can't remember how I know him.
            Too much 4/20 day?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

johnny man, you are a bit of a downer. See the latest fast and furious? Its da bomb.

You are actually echoing my thoughts, the issue is acceleration. Stopping the giant ass boulder rolling down the hill to crush the lil town below. Gore was last real shot to make significant headway into the global warming issue, as well as other environmental challenges, he had the will and the understanding, and despite his winning the popular vote, a hanging chad comedy in fla gave the Presidency to wrong guy, and from that point, it has been the accelerating boulder down the hill.
                Yeah ... it's one of those issues, the more you learn about it, the less hopeful you become. It's not something you can faff around with. It requires instant action on a global scale, massive sacrifice and gigantic investment. None of those things can win an election, therefore, nothing will ever be done.

The one documentary that stood out for me on my "downer" path was this ... from about 10 years ago. It was the discovery of the Global Dimming phenomenon ... that our pollution of the atmosphere was actually masking the real effects of Global Warming, that things were actually far worse than the models up to that point had predicted ... hence the fact that since the mid 2000's, Green politics has shifted from general environmental factors to the current Global Warming panic.

This is like a real life horror story with a terrifying twist in the tail.

BBC - Horizon - 2005 - Global Dimming by DocumentaryHD2014
                Last edited by johnnya24; 04-22-2015, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• looks like a reallocation, no?

"The House Science Committee approved a two-year NASA policy bill on Thursday that aims to refocus the space agency away from studying the Earth, and instead force it out toward the stars.

The party-line, 19-15 vote highlights an ideological fracture over the future of the space agency and hints at the partisan divide over the role of federal agencies in responding to climate change....

The new bill would cut the amount of money NASA can spend on Earth science by more than $300 million. Funding for planetary science would tick up slightly, from $1.3 billion in 2014 to $1.5 billion."
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                    It isn't just NASA's Earth Science budget getting cut by Republicans, but also an 8% cut to the geo-science budget of the National Science Foundation, the National Institute of Standards and Technology, and the Department of Energy’s Office of Science.

Reallocation, my ass. This is a concerted effort to suppress climate change research.
                    not to mention a weak attempt to score political points for being pro-space explorers.

you know that super collider in texas they canceled would've been 4 times more powerful than the hadron. we could've found the higgs a decade ago.

there's nothing on mars for us. mars is political. mars is not the 1960's trying to beat the Russians to the moon.

Comment

• When history shows a true forensic accounting of the vast assets put forth by a couple of old rich white guys that has shaped general public policy in republican party, but specifically the wall of climate change denial, it will be too late to matter. Well known that Koch brothers vast wealth, well over 100 billion, derived from primarily oil, specifically oil refining, distribution, fracking, of petrol, chemicals, minerals. Koch brothers are fervent climate change deniers, so must the viable republican challenger, without the brothers support the well of support runs dry.

Brothers have announced intent to spend more than 900 million in 2016 cycle, (a mere proverbial drop in the bucket relative to their wealth and annual earnings) via dozens of PACS, the three main Koch family foundations contributed to 34 political and policy organizations, three of which they founded, and several of which they direct, but as well as direct and indirect donations to universities, provides grants to nearly 270 U.S. colleges and universities for "projects". The handful of studies that have muddied water even an inch were from tainted funding source.

Comment

When history shows a true forensic accounting of the vast assets put forth by a couple of old rich white guys that has shaped general public policy in republican party, but specifically the wall of climate change denial, it will be too late to matter. Well known that Koch brothers vast wealth, well over 100 billion, derived from primarily oil, specifically oil refining, distribution, fracking, of petrol, chemicals, minerals. Koch brothers are fervent climate change deniers, so must the viable republican challenger, without the brothers support the well of support runs dry.

Brothers have announced intent to spend more than 900 million in 2016 cycle, (a mere proverbial drop in the bucket relative to their wealth and annual earnings) via dozens of PACS, the three main Koch family foundations contributed to 34 political and policy organizations, three of which they founded, and several of which they direct, but as well as direct and indirect donations to universities, provides grants to nearly 270 U.S. colleges and universities for "projects". The handful of studies that have muddied water even an inch were from tainted funding source.
                        The American Dream right? be rich enough to buy and sell America..........

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• The G7 leaders have agreed to decarbonize their economies ... errrrr ... by the end of the century.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            The American Dream right? be rich enough to buy and sell America..........
                            Silly boy. The American dream is scoring the game winner at the buzzer, with suitable modification for baseball.

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                            The G7 leaders have agreed to decarbonize their economies ... errrrr ... by the end of the century.
                            If things continue as they have been, USA will be revoking things in 2017.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                              If things continue as they have been, USA will be revoking things in 2017.

J
                              Of course. Short term political points scoring for all the participants, then pass the buck to the next lot, and so on and so forth until KABOOM!

... then an old withered Obama, Cameron or Merkel can come on a PBS or BBC documentary in 2060 and say, "if only they followed our lead" (followed by Kappa face)

Comment

• and I just don't understand how the lesson of mercury and venus is lost on some ppl. this is exactly why we explore our solar system. for situations exactly like this.
                                Expand.

J
                                I can't. I don't have the know-how. I thought about it for a while and did a lot of research on Venus. I just know that we have 2 perfect examples of a planet too small and far (mars) and one too close and similar. and that's where the answer is. if you want to show ppl things then you need an example. we we're provided with both kinds.

Comment

Working...
                                X