Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I came here for insight on Syria... and nothing..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't be the only person here chuckling at Johnny raising and overraising time and again on a pair of threes, right?
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

• Wait - this is a poker thread?
      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
      Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        If Obama really wanted to launch strikes, no one could have stopped him. He didn't need to see how the public felt nor approval of Congress; that ship (i.e. check) sailed long ago. So, while you make valid points, that doesn't change the fact that the death toll could have been tens of thousands higher.
        You don't think he really wanted to launch strikes? And would have, if he could have marshaled any significant support from any quarter? I'm glad we the people and the international community put the brakes on our reckless war machine this time around, but I assign zero credit to the president for it. He was the one beating the drums and rallying the troops, and likely being completely dishonest about his rationale all the while. Or at the very least shockingly misinformed, if you're inclined to give him cover. Why should he be praised because a complete lack of support for his ill-advised little adventure forced him to stop?
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
          You don't think he really wanted to launch strikes? And would have, if he could have marshaled any significant support from any quarter? I'm glad we the people and the international community put the brakes on our reckless war machine this time around, but I assign zero credit to the president for it. He was the one beating the drums and rallying the troops, and likely being completely dishonest about his rationale all the while. Or at the very least shockingly misinformed, if you're inclined to give him cover. Why should he be praised because a complete lack of support for his ill-advised little adventure forced him to stop?
          Simply put, IMO if Obama was truly committed to launching strikes, he would have. We have been in the age of the Imperial Presidency for awhile so I don't think the people or the international community forced Obama to stand down. What else have we stopped Obama from doing that he's really wanted to do? It's interesting that so many people are calling him liars with respect to wanting to go to war but unwilling to consider the opposite.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• If he could have found anyone to go along with him, he would have made a move. Thankfully, everywhere he turned, he was met with resistance both abroad and within his own party. He simply couldn't 'cowboy up' and go it alone, so he (wisely) backed off.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
              If he could have found anyone to go along with him, he would have made a move. Thankfully, everywhere he turned, he was met with resistance both abroad and within his own party. He simply couldn't 'cowboy up' and go it alone, so he (wisely) backed off.
              But that's not true, there were plenty inside the administration that were on board. In fact, some, like McCain, were critical because Obama's proposal was too weak.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                Simply put, IMO if Obama was truly committed to launching strikes, he would have. We have been in the age of the Imperial Presidency for awhile so I don't think the people or the international community forced Obama to stand down. What else have we stopped Obama from doing that he's really wanted to do? It's interesting that so many people are calling him liars with respect to wanting to go to war but unwilling to consider the opposite.
                I think it pretty much went down exactly as it appeared - he was committed to getting involved in Syria, but had to bow to the fact that he had zero support. None. Moving ahead at that point would have constituted political suicide for himself and his party. He's very fortunate he found a soft political landing while he was fumbling about for a way out.

I've heard his apologists come up with some pretty convoluted rationales for how he was really the hero in that entire mess, but you have to assume an awful lot for any of them to make sense. I trust my eyes on this one - he tried, he thankfully failed, and he necessarily retreated.
                "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• McCain, lol.
                  I was speaking broadly that there was great reticence abroad, within his party and by the American public. I am sure you can point to some individual people that favored intervention but to argue there was broad support (or even tepid support) for an offensive in Syria is crazy talk. He saw which way the wind was blowing and backed down--good on him.

Comment

Working...
                  X