Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I came here for insight on Syria... and nothing..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You mean you cant give Assad a time out for misbehaving??
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      You mean you cant give Assad a time out for misbehaving??
      No, it's clearly a much better idea to drop a few cruise missiles on some soft targets. The Middle East will quake at such a demonstration of our resolve.

Or maybe Assad will use the meaningless strikes to bolster his standing in the region by bragging how he successfully withstood an attack from the mighty United States.

Care to guess which result is more likely?
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

My timeout comment wasnt directed at you sheep. More or less responding to Don Quixotes

"Their failure lies in one of their best attributes, their intellect. They fail to understand that some, possibly most, of the world, including its leaders, are not people who respond to talk and reason, but only to action or at least the plausible threat of action."

I just forgot to use the quote feature.
        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
        Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
          My timeout comment wasnt directed at you sheep.
          Oh, I know. I always say that when you vote for a politician, you have a responsibility to speak out when that politician is doing wrong. I voted for Obama, he's doing wrong, and I'll use any post as a springboard to rant about the foolishness of what he's proposing to do.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Poll: Majority Of Americans Approve Of Sending Congress To Syria
            The New York Times/CBS News poll showed that though just 1 in 4 Americans believe that the United States has a responsibility to intervene in the Syrian conflict, more than 90 percent of the public is convinced that putting all 535 representatives of the United States Congress on the ground in Syria—including Senate pro tempore Patrick Leahy, House Speaker John Boehner, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, and, in fact, all current members of the House and Senate—is the best course of action at this time.

WASHINGTON—As President Obama continues to push for a plan of limited military intervention in Syria, a new poll of Americans has found that though the nation remains wary over the prospect of becoming involved in another Middle Eastern war, the vast majority of U.S. citizens strongly approve of sending Congress to…
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            ---------------------------------------------
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Unfortunate we do not have a stealth DRONE - then we could peck them to death with HellFires and blame it on incoming from the the idiot rebels.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                Poll: Majority Of Americans Approve Of Sending Congress To Syria
                The New York Times/CBS News poll showed that though just 1 in 4 Americans believe that the United States has a responsibility to intervene in the Syrian conflict, more than 90 percent of the public is convinced that putting all 535 representatives of the United States Congress on the ground in Syria—including Senate pro tempore Patrick Leahy, House Speaker John Boehner, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, and, in fact, all current members of the House and Senate—is the best course of action at this time.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/pol...ng-cong,33752/
                Once again, the Onion is more accurate than real news.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Comment

From 2007/8. GW was still in power.

Last edited by johnnya24; 09-08-2013, 07:42 AM.

Comment

I just heard a Republican strategist criticize the obligation for being inconsistent and sending mixed signals. Here's what she gave as an example: Biden has said the actual operation will be very small in scope. Obama has since said the operation is very important to our national interests.

Is this inconsistency? Must we assume that an important operation be large in scope, or that a small-scale operation cannot be important?

Most of the criticism I have seen is process oriented. Krauthammer wrote a scathing piece on how Obama's decision to go to Congress with the decision gave our enemies cause to celebrate. But he never says whether Obama should order a strike or not. It seems that when people can't or don't want to address the real issue, they criticize the process. That way they don't have any skin in the game.

Comment

i think the reason ppl never thought Obama would lead us immediately into another direct dumb war is because he probably isn't going to. it is a good time to start thinking of a way out of this while still projecting our influence.

i wanted to say earlier that one solution is to get Assad to hand over all of his chemical weapons. it's the next logical diplomatic step. and Kerry just did asked.

when you go on Charlie Rose, your looking to increase the debate. and it's not the action of someone that you just thought made a serious miscalculation, bringing the weight of our military attention.

im torn between the reason of our involvement being between it being our Sunni Arab allies screaming for us to do something. or it actually being about the use of chemical weapons, or even both.

and im also torn between our indifference recently in Egypt being a result of our eye being more on the situation in Syria. whether we were saving some prestige or if we really are actually little indifferent now. ..it not like the Middle East listens to us. they don't a lot of the time.

so im gonna be bold and stupid and change my prediction and say we are just after confiscating Assad's chemical weapons. sure we are supplying some arms and training to the FSA but they can't be trusted. the odds are against them 3-1.

and for what it's worth, i'd say the Korean war was a success. we did save 30 million Koreans.

and it's true, we don't have stealth drones. from what i've read, drones have to hover over the target.

it comes down to Stephen Kings the Stand. where the sociologist guy gave that speech about weapons being in the hands of a centralized government or in the hands of a lot but little decentralized ones.

Comment

this really should be like a new game of chess. it might not seem like it but this really should only be at the stage of opening up lanes.

it's the perfect time to speak loud and carry a big stick and then pull back and see if they get it. the fact that we turned over Iraq to the Shia doesn't exactly say we are married to either.

it's a balance between Sunni and Shia. the good thing is at least we can make our own decisions and not have to worry about the UK or France calling the shots. tho it was interesting with Germany saying their intelligence ships received transmissions of Assad's forces calling to use chemical weapons and being repeatedly denied.

also, it didn't take long for Kerry to bring up a Hitler... i know ppl hate Kerry, but is he really gonna screw this up? i see him as a lot of thing but not a total screw up. he was our Senator.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                            I just heard a Republican strategist criticize the obligation for being inconsistent and sending mixed signals. Here's what she gave as an example: Biden has said the actual operation will be very small in scope. Obama has since said the operation is very important to our national interests.

Is this inconsistency? Must we assume that an important operation be large in scope, or that a small-scale operation cannot be important?

Most of the criticism I have seen is process oriented. Krauthammer wrote a scathing piece on how Obama's decision to go to Congress with the decision gave our enemies cause to celebrate. But he never says whether Obama should order a strike or not. It seems that when people can't or don't want to address the real issue, they criticize the process. That way they don't have any skin in the game.
                            yes I believe that it is inconsistent. While in theory an op can be small scale & very important, in reality, and esp. in this case there are far too many variables. If this is so important that it requires action, that action would have to be consistent with its importance. Even if you try to position it as small scale there's no way to commit to keeping it at that should any of those variables kick in.
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Calamity Kerry

... the power brokers pulling his strings will not be happy about his disarmament gaff.

The Russians and Syrians have jumped all over that one.

Comment

you know one of the way out is just to shoot off a few missles and just sit back and Obama say i did what i said i would.

anyone that believes that is the biggest sucker of all.

Comment

Working...
                                X