No announcement yet.

REM Draft Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guys, I'm back, but slammed, it will probably be tonight before I post my picks
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Wow, "Sweetness Follows" and "Walk Unafraid" were crippling blows to my remaining list of favorites, #2 and #1, respectively.

And yes, the Up stuff is so much better live. I've held off commenting much on it, not wanting to draw much attention, but it was seeing the band near the end of the Up tour, right after a three-night stand in Atlanta, that made me like the album so much. Every song was good live, the biggest difference being Lotus, which they played at a much faster tempo and intensity. They wove they Up songs seamlessly into the old material for an excellent show. Perhaps the most impressive thing was how strong Stipe's voice was, much more powerful than the records had led me to believe.

Still great songs being picked here in the late rounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
        Wow, "Sweetness Follows" and "Walk Unafraid" were crippling blows to my remaining list of favorites, #2 and #1, respectively.

And yes, the Up stuff is so much better live. I've held off commenting much on it, not wanting to draw much attention, but it was seeing the band near the end of the Up tour, right after a three-night stand in Atlanta, that made me like the album so much. Every song was good live, the biggest difference being Lotus, which they played at a much faster tempo and intensity. They wove they Up songs seamlessly into the old material for an excellent show. Perhaps the most impressive thing was how strong Stipe's voice was, much more powerful than the records had led me to believe.

Wow, that sounds exactly like me talking about my experience with the Green album and tour. Green left me a little cold on the first few listens, but after hearing them perform the songs live, and hearing how seamlessly they blended with earlier material, I was all-in. So many bands are strong in the studio and weak onstage, or vice versa - REM can bring it either way.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Wow, "Sweetness Follows" and "Walk Unafraid" were crippling blows to my remaining list of favorites, #2 and #1, respectively.

Exactly the same reaction with Radiohead and Kid A.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
            Blue, Collapse Into Now

This song kinda creeps me out, but I really like it. Looking at the longer notes I see Patti Smith also sings during the song... now it looks like I'm trying to pick songs with a female presence.
            Next up for Pogues - Kid Fears by The Indigo Girls!

Or maybe Syd Straw's Future 40's (String Of Pearls)...

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

• The chord structure of Blue is almost identical to Country Feedback. It was also the the last song on their last record. I wonder if there's any significance there.

Comment

• I was pretty determined coming in not to take anything they did without Bill Berry, but Accelerate really struck a chord with me.

And I'm now going back and listening to the song that I considered taking WITH Bill Berry and realizing that it will probably won't make it back to me. And I'm annoyed.
                "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  The chord structure of Blue is almost identical to Country Feedback. It was also the the last song on their last record. I wonder if there's any significance there.
                  I don't think I ever heard that song before. That intro is amazing. Glad this draft is helping me figure out what I missed.

Comment

• The untitled Green song was on my list, and some of the other picks today were late-period songs I was intending to consider based on recommendations but hadn't gotten around to yet.
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• I PM'd lucky since we are still skipping Fresno Bob until he posts his make-up picks.

Comment

• Pick up in five. Still reeling from losing Sweeness, Unafraid and then So Fast, So Numb. I thought those might carry me through the end of the draft.

Comment

• I just finished Reveal. Sweet mother of Christ, that was dull. You know what's worse than bad music? Music that's not even interesting enough to dislike. It evokes no response from me whatsoever. It's froth. Pretty and empty. Not hypnotic, just repetitive and pleasantly forgettable. It's something I'd put on if I wanted to take a nap on the bus. Other than Imitation Of Life, I can't remember anything I just heard, and I probably only remember that one because I've heard it before.

I wasn't wild about New Adventures, but there was enough there to make me want to give it another try. After I listened to Up, I couldn't wait to give it another listen. I don't really care if I ever hear Reveal again. If it magically appears in my collection someday, that'll be fine. If it doesn't, that'll be fine, too.

Around The Sun is even worse, huh? :shudder:

Woof.

Comment

• 10.10 is posted. I had to go back to "Up" again.

Comment

10.10 is posted. I had to go back to "Up" again.
                              You have good taste in Up. Suspicion is another one I really like.

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                                Around The Sun is even worse, huh? :shudder:

Woof.
                                There's a reason why nothing has been picked from it yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X