Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
    9.09 Green Grow the Rushes, Fables of the Reconstruction
    Very nice. Listening to this made me think the same thing as johnny.

This draft is making me feel like a bad REM fan - I've taken them for granted for a long time now.

"I'm sooooooorrrrrrryyyyyyy!"
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
      They even rocked up mellow ballads on the Monster tour.

You mean the mellow ballad about old age, death and the emotions of person nearing the end ... sung from the perspective of the dying person

Try Not To Breathe is tragic. This song would have been even more amazing if it were sung by Michael Stipe's older huskier voice ... like Oh My Heart on Collapse for instance.

REM have so many songs you happily sing along to, without grasping the real meaning until later. And then there's some songs I don't want to know the real meaning to because the mystery and the intangible is half the appeal.

Comment

• UBerlin is one I hadn't heard before, I listened to it a couple days ago and added it to my list. Really good song.

Comment

• I tried to PM Sheep and he doesn't accept them.

Hopefully he'll get on and pick soon. The draft has stalled.

Comment

• The one nice thing for me about this draft is that it has exposed me to the albums after Monster. I heard E-Bow and Electrolite on the radio in the late 90s and tuned them out entirely. Honestly, I barely remember hearing that they had disbanded. In fact, I probably wouldn't have known about it at all if my wife hadn't told me.

I still don't like the albums after Monster all that much. Accelerate has some interesting tunes and I can see myself purchasing that album shortly. I'm trying to listen through the other albums a few times each before I make final decisions on them, but I'm not enamored so far. We'll see. Listening to New Adventures today.

I do love that others have been opened up to their early work, as I really feel that's where their best stuff lies. (I'm still really annoyed about missing out on a Lower Wolves.) I actually have some of those physical record albums (pretty sure I have Reckoning, Fables and Dead Letter Office).
            "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
            "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• As a fan, I think I took a lot of their music for granted. This draft has renewed my interest in them.

In fact, I'm giving some thought to buying a record player to listen to some of this stuff on vinyl.

Comment

• I think sheep is still with us. I saw last night on another thread where he was about to drop the hammer on someone, but said he was going to wait until the REM draft was over, just in case he got kicked off the board. So he obviously has his priorities. I don't know what the dispute was about. Vaginas, I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                  I don't know what the dispute was about. Vaginas, I think.
                  That is board signature material right there!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                    That is board signature material right there!
                    We're skipping Sheep, so you're up.
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Pick is up.
                      Last edited by Stephen; 04-25-2013, 11:06 AM.

Comment

• Nice pick, DMT. If I wasn't already 2 deep in Murmur, I might have considered that for my next pick.

Watching the video for Laughing and Oh My Heart back-to-back is mind boggling. It's hard to process that this the same band.

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
                          Nice pick, DMT. If I wasn't already 2 deep in Murmur, I might have considered that for my next pick.

Watching the video for Laughing and Oh My Heart back-to-back is mind boggling. It's hard to process that this the same band.
                          Michael Stipe wears that grey beard well.

Comment

• Walk Unafraid was top of my "Up" List ... I had it ranked 3rd behind At My Most Beautiful and Daysleeper. Lotus 4th.

Comment

• Does the clock on Pogues start from when DMT picked or when Sheep picked?

Comment

• Originally posted by long john View Post
                                does the clock on pogues start from when dmt picked or when sheep picked?
                                dmt ...

Comment

Working...
                                X