REM Draft Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
    serves you right for dissing some of my picks ...
    "It doesn't do anything for me" isn't a dis. "This sucks" is a dis. If you take one worthy of "this sucks," I'll let you know.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Reminder: FB said to skip him until Wednesday, so I will post my pick after Lucky posts his.

Comment

• Let Me In titbit ... Mike Mills, nay new Sports Bar hero Mike Mills, composed and played lead guitar on Let Me In, which is why the guitar sounds so different to typical Peter Buck stuff. I'm not sure what time signature the song is in, but the chord changes are always either ahead or behind the melody (could just be the distortion that creates the effect). I had a Tour video back in the 90's, and the version of Let Me In was just Mike and Mike ... electric guitar and vocals ... amazing version, but sadly not on Youtube.

... and of course it's about Kurt Cobain ... but I guess most people know that.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          REM are arguably the greatest band of all time, and Country Feedback is the greatest song by the greatest band, this is the greatest version of the greatest song by the greatest band of all time, how the F does it only have 122K hits ... must have been 9 misclicks also.

Otherworldly. I could happily just turn off the lights, lie back and wallow in this version of Country Feedback all day long.
          I don't get it. Honestly, this song doesn't even make my Top 20 for them.

Don't get me wrong. It's a good song, but their greatest? Hardly.
          "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
          "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Let Me In titbit ... Mike Mills, nay new Sports Bar hero Mike Mills, composed and played lead guitar on Let Me In, which is why the guitar sounds so different to typical Peter Buck stuff. I'm not sure what time signature the song is in, but the chord changes are always either ahead or behind the melody (could just be the distortion that creates the effect). I had a Tour video back in the 90's, and the version of Let Me In was just Mike and Mike ... electric guitar and vocals ... amazing version, but sadly not on Youtube.

... and of course it's about Kurt Cobain ... but I guess most people know that.
            the guitar he played on tour was a cobain one. in the video i posted you can see he's doing a hendrix (playing a left-handed guitar right-handed)...

one fact i didn't know until i looked this up was that Automatic was the album cobain was listening to at the end...
            "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
              "It doesn't do anything for me" isn't a dis. "This sucks" is a dis. If you take one worthy of "this sucks," I'll let you know.
              heh ...
              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
                I don't get it. Honestly, this song doesn't even make my Top 20 for them.

Don't get me wrong. It's a good song, but their greatest? Hardly.
                We have a dissenter in the ranks.

Comment

one fact i didn't know until i looked this up was that Automatic was the album cobain was listening to at the end...
                  Didn't know that ...

Comment

We have a dissenter in the ranks.
                    i actually agree with LJ...

Comment

In some of his very last interviews, Kurt talked at length about how much he loved Automatic and how he wanted the next Nirvana album to be more acoustic and reflective like it.

Comment

i actually agree with LJ...
                        +1. Country Feedback wouldn't make my personal Top 20 either.

Comment

• Lucky will be around soon. He'll have my back.

Comment

• Nice pick, Lucky.

Don't know that I would have ended up selecting it - depends on how the rest of this plays out - but definitely one that was on my radar.
                            "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                            "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Yeah, there are a lot of guys out there who, from ages 16 to 20, thought REM was their special, secret band, and they couldn't wrap their heads around the fact that bands mature, sounds mature, and sometimes with a little luck to go along with the talent, they become popular. I don't think that constitutes selling out, and I don't see how those who say REM jumped with Out of Time could have given a serious listen to the albums after that...maybe because they were no longer the only one on campus that was into REM.

As for "Country Feedback" being one of their best, I don't know. I think it is. Stipe has said a hundred times that it was their best song. The version with Neil Young kicks the ass of the other live REM songs I've seen. So, I've got johnny's back here. He is one of the three or four most knowledgeable music people I know, so I try not to disagree with him very often.

I still think they are, primarily, a live act. I had heard their albums a hundred times before I saw them live. They went from being just another band to being a fantastic band. The studio versions of their songs are so pale by comparison.

Comment

• Oddfellows just randomly played ... I'd call that endorsement from on high.

FIREHOUSE

Comment

Working...
                                X