No announcement yet.

Main St not so good, but Wall Street is loving life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can move to a "Stable Asset" type fund. I dont believe that I have any option to hold in "cash/money market" in my employer sponsored 401k plan.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Here are my options.... I can reallocate my balances to these:

Asset Class
      Fund
      GIC/Stable Value
      Wells Fargo Stable Value Fund
      Bond
      Shenkman High Yield Bond Fund
      PIMCO Total Return Fund
      Balanced
      Oakmark Equity & Income Fund
      PIMCO Global Multi-Asset Institutional Fund
      Lifestyle/Pre-mix
      JPMorgan Smart Retirement - Incm
      JPMorgan Smart Retirement - 2015
      JPMorgan Smart Retirement - 2020
      JPMorgan Smart Retirement - 2025
      JPMorgan Smart Retirement - 2030
      JPMorgan Smart Retirement - 2035
      JPMorgan Smart Retirement - 2040
      JPMorgan Smart Retirement - 2045
      JPMorgan Smart Retirement - 2050
      Large U.S. Equity
      Vanguard Institutional Index Plus Fund
      Dodge & Cox Stock Fund
      T Rowe Price Growth Stock Fund
      Allianz NFJ Dividend Value Fund
      International
      Dimensional International Value Fund
      Small U.S. Equity
      QMA Small Cap Equity Fund
      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
      Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        the money I moved was in my 401K and just got reallocated from a Growth Fund to Stable Asset. it took about a minute, and I think it will be effective tomorrow.
        I just did the same with all my 401 k. Let it sit in the stable fund for a while. I know I lost a pretty good chunk of change on the last big adjustment. Good news is I got it all back and then some. Better news is that is when the ex - wife decided to move out so I got to show exactly what was in my fund during that period. In the end in the divorce with that big hit she ended up not getting 1 penny of my 401 k.

Comment

This is a great lineup of funds. I love the JP Morgan Smart retirement target date funds, and you have a lot of other great funds here (Dodge & Cox Stock, Allianz NFJ Dividend)

The Wells Fargo Stable Value Fund is your GIC/Money Market fund, which is your "cash" option. If you feel a market correction coming on, then exchange all of your funds into this one and make sure you change your future contributions to this one.

Comment

lol

Am curious if all the gloom and doom about SEQUESTRATION (which could still come to pass down the road) led anyone who buys into that argument to cash out for that reason - and when.

Again, I'm making a modest adjustment against the current highs sustaining myself, but if one greatly feared the S word, wouldn't it make sense to have bailed before the (not yet realized) tidal wave?

I understand that economists were less "sky is falling the day after S Day" then liberal politicians were, but I guess the question is whether political arguments sway personal retirement plan decisions.

This one doesn't really hit the right as much, I think, because I'm assuming no one thought that S word would create a monster bull market, would they (well, maybe they think longterm it will?). I imagine they just held their ground.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              lol

Am curious if all the gloom and doom about SEQUESTRATION (which could still come to pass down the road) led anyone who buys into that argument to cash out for that reason - and when.

Again, I'm making a modest adjustment against the current highs sustaining myself, but if one greatly feared the S word, wouldn't it make sense to have bailed before the (not yet realized) tidal wave?

I understand that economists were less "sky is falling the day after S Day" then liberal politicians were, but I guess the question is whether political arguments sway personal retirement plan decisions.

This one doesn't really hit the right as much, I think, because I'm assuming no one thought that S word would create a monster bull market, would they (well, maybe they think longterm it will?). I imagine they just held their ground.
              You can't use qualified plan assets (without penalty) until at least age 59 1/2. It's seems pretty silly in the long run to get out of the market over a miniscule blip and potentially miss out if you don't (or fail) to get back in. These amateur market timers do far more harm than good to themselves.

Comment

Thanks, Revo, I think that as well, obviously.
                But couldn't they have moved their 401Ks out of the 'risky stuff' and into Stable stuff a few weeks back?

It's not a big deal financially either way so far; I just am asking from a philosophical perspective. If you buy 'sky is falling,' isn't it sensible to back away and play it safe, if that's your mindset? I thnk Hacko has done that, basically, and I get it. Same as he gets me making only a minor shift.

I'm just wondering if people say they buy into political rhetoric yet don't shift their portfolios.
                I do see from your comment that maybe longterm buyers expected a big hit quickly, but figure it will work out in the end - and they could be right on the overall scope even if missing their perceived short-term hit.

Trying to learn how people make these calls - I move my numbers pretty minimally and rarely, but I'm a boring moderate anyway (and I have a lifelong buddy who is a CFP who gut-checks the rough pcts for common sense).

It has not occurred to me before whether diehards on left or right do (or should) move their money to match their expectations based on politics....
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

In the last six months alone, we've had the Sequester; the debt ceiling; the fiscal cliff; and the actual election itself. All four events were reasons for some (read: conservatives) to fear being in the market. All four passed by with nothing more than a hiccup. If you exited the market on any of those occasions (or all), you blew it. Royally. If you're not a pro, don't be a market timer.

I did a seminar last week in midtown, and a woman I'm meeting with on Friday told me she was "scared" about the election and exited the market. I told her if she felt the same in '08, she missed out on a 100% gain under Obama. "Oh yeah" she said.

People get influenced by their political idealogues, who are usually out to only get ratings. It's pretty sad, actually.

Comment

Working...
                  X