Main St not so good, but Wall Street is loving life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main St not so good, but Wall Street is loving life

Dow closes 89 points above the previous historical high and has now more than doubled since bottoming out in 2009.

and the regular Joe barely has money to pay the bills.........
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      and the regular Joe barely has money to pay the bills.........
      don't worry...it'll trickle down any day now that we've cut spending to protect tax cuts for the rich

Comment

you guys don't have any money in stocks in your 401Ks?
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Dude, the bottom 50% owns half a percent of all the stock owned in the US
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
            http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-05-16-07-21

Dow closes 89 points above the previous historical high and has now more than doubled since bottoming out in 2009.
            Well, those on Wall St that still have jobs might be "loving life," but the financial sector is nowhere close to replacing all the jobs that were lost in the 2008-2009 meltdown

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              you guys don't have any money in stocks in your 401Ks?

Actually JJ - my 401k consists of a variety of Mutual Funds. So yes, I am invested, but I honestly do not expect that this can maintain - but rather is way over inflated. With that said, who cares if its in my 401k, I expect the market to tank fairly soon here and unfortunately for those of us in 401k plans - it is rather difficult to take gains and lock them in - unless your plan allows for in-service withdrawals and transfers.

So the fact that the market is at an all time high is actually worrisome for this long term investment because the market is going to drop again and ravage the "gains" that I have....
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Main street may be able to get themselves into the market, but lets be honest. The fact that the market is good is no indication of comfortable the vast majority of the people in this country feel about things like job security, putting food on the table and other real life things....

Comment

agreed, baldgriff, and your concerns longterm seem valid to me.
                  I guess I'm just getting a vibe across the internet as if stock market rises is so awful for the little guy - and for the middle class, I just don't get that, shortterm. It's the DROP that kicks them in the teeth.

The super-rich, they can't lose either way, obviously.

and now I'm off to lock and cash out a modest portion of these gains into Stable Assets.
                  EDIT: only moved about 5 pct over, as I'm obviously not as bearish as most. the overall portfolio is pretty diversified, anyway, in terms of risk, but I'd rather be slightly more conservative at the moment, especially with a chance to cash some of the runup...
                  Last edited by Judge Jude; 03-06-2013, 12:20 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

agreed, baldgriff, and your concerns longterm seem valid to me.
                    I guess I'm just getting a vibe across the internet as if stock market rises is so awful for the little guy - and for the middle class, I just don't get that, shortterm. It's the DROP that kicks them in the teeth.

The super-rich, they can't lose either way, obviously.

and now I'm off to lock and cash out a modest portion of these gains into Stable Assets.
                    EDIT: only moved about 5 pct over, as I'm obviously not as bearish as most. the overall portfolio is pretty diversified, anyway, in terms of risk, but I'd rather be slightly more conservative at the moment, especially with a chance to cash some of the runup...

Thats the key here. The individuals who are able to afford having extra cash laying around and in the market are likely going to make money on this run up. The can afford to sell the positions they have and take the cash. Those of us that have our 401k plans really dont have any opportunity in cashing in here, becuase most plans just dont have bear strategies or allow for someone to move funds out.

Oh and where would I move my funds too??? Certainly not the bond market! If rates go up the bond market is going to get crushed.

Comment

Actually JJ - my 401k consists of a variety of Mutual Funds. So yes, I am invested, but I honestly do not expect that this can maintain - but rather is way over inflated. With that said, who cares if its in my 401k, I expect the market to tank fairly soon here and unfortunately for those of us in 401k plans - it is rather difficult to take gains and lock them in - unless your plan allows for in-service withdrawals and transfers.

So the fact that the market is at an all time high is actually worrisome for this long term investment because the market is going to drop again and ravage the "gains" that I have....
                      If you're concerned about a major market correction, why can't you simply sell your funds and stay in cash? In-Service withdrawals and transfers has nothing to do with locking in gains.

Comment

I dont have a "cash only" option. I can reallocate to less aggressive funds, but there is no cash only option. If I were to be able to take an In-Service withdrawal I would be able capture these gains and place the gains into some other type of investment or non-correlated investment.

Comment

I dont have a "cash only" option. I can reallocate to less aggressive funds, but there is no cash only option. If I were to be able to take an In-Service withdrawal I would be able capture these gains and place the gains into some other type of investment or non-correlated investment.
                          There must be a cash option, otherwise your company's plan is in serious violation of ERISA guidelines and can be sued. Your plan most likely has a cash sweep, which means if you sell funds and don't re-allocate the assets, it gets automatically swept into a money market fund which is not listed as a fund option.

If your plan is with an insurance carrier, the cash option may be called a Guaranteed Investment Contract (GIC).

If you want me to take a look at your fund's investment lineup so I can tell you what type of cash option there is, PM me or email me the plan's Summary Plan Description. Unfortunately, it sounds like your company doesn't provide much education to the employees on your company's retirement plan.

In-service distributions are usually limited to individuals over the age of 70 1/2 who continue to work at the company.

Comment

the money I moved was in my 401K and just got reallocated from a Growth Fund to Stable Asset. it took about a minute, and I think it will be effective tomorrow.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

the money I moved was in my 401K and just got reallocated from a Growth Fund to Stable Asset. it took about a minute, and I think it will be effective tomorrow.
                              It's funny because I just transferred my money into a new 401k about 2 days ago, and put it all in money market, I figured I'd wait a week or two to see if there was a correction.

Comment

Working...
                              X