Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Griswold is coming out of retirement...after 38 years....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griswold is coming out of retirement...after 38 years....

To play baseball....yep, you'd heard it here first!

I haven't played organized baseball since I was 12.

But, my buddy in Akron has played on a 48+ Roy Hobbs league for a couple of years and ask myself and buckeye1 to join their team.

So, I went to the baseball facility (that luckily buckeye1 owns) and we started hitting.

I can't tell how you how jacked up I am about this.

Therefore, I thought I would hit the Junkies up here to ask the following questions:

1. Does anyone else currently play in a Roy Hobbs-type league?
    2. What kind of advice does anyone have regarding training (both work-out and hitting-wise)?
    3. My biggest fear is real pitching....I can hit in batting cages....so what videos, etc should I watch regarding learning about the rotation of pitches, etc. to help me understand the theory and basics of hitting live pitching?

4. Anything you can think of?

Thanks in advance!

Gris

Don't be afraid of up and in. You've got a helmet for a reason ... use it

Comment

tip from another half-century man

Don't get hurt - don't be an unecessary tough guy -

Be confident enough to let up when appropriate- you will always need to go to work tomorrow

Lastly have fun and remember everyone else will be moving in somewhat slow motion too.

I only play old-man softball - not baseball

Comment

don't let anything happen that would cause someone in the stands to say 'i hope he was wearing his cup'.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
          tip from another half-century man

Don't get hurt - don't be an unecessary tough guy -

Be confident enough to let up when appropriate- you will always need to go to work tomorrow

Lastly have fun and remember everyone else will be moving in somewhat slow motion too.

I only play old-man softball - not baseball
          Good advice! I played old-man softball until 2 years ago.

The "be confident enough to let up when appropriate" will be my problem....I've always played sports like I believe that I'm still 19 but my body reminds me that I'm 49...

That will be a problem. lol

Comment

If for some reason you feel the need to charge the mound take the bat with you. It's just common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
              don't let anything happen that would cause someone in the stands to say 'i hope he was wearing his cup'.
              Well, I'll be playing left field....so hopefully that won't happen....but I'll probably wear one anyways...

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                If for some reason you feel the need to charge the mound take the bat with you. It's just common sense.
                At 5'9", charging the mound probably won't happen...but I will take a bat...lol

Comment

I don't know, I was always told if you play not to get hurt you will get hurt. Of course I was not 49 when I was told that.

Chances are you will get nicked up a bit, but you know that. Wear that badge of injury well when you go into the office.

In our heads that cast, eye patch, or crutches say look at the hero ladies, but in reality the ladies are saying looked that stupid old guy trying to be young.

So have fun, go full throttle, don't worry what anybody thinks. Make sure Mrs. Gris takes videos because you never know when that $10k opportunity will present itself for AFV.

Comment

I wish I had the arm to throw a baseball further than 15 feet these days. 2 shoulder surgeries took everything out of it

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      I don't know, I was always told if you play not to get hurt you will get hurt. Of course I was not 49 when I was told that.

Chances are you will get nicked up a bit, but you know that. Wear that badge of injury well when you go into the office.

In our heads that cast, eye patch, or crutches say look at the hero ladies, but in reality the ladies are saying looked that stupid old guy trying to be young.

So have fun, go full throttle, don't worry what anybody thinks. Make sure Mrs. Gris takes videos because you never know when that $10k opportunity will present itself for AFV.
                      Yeah, Mrs. Gris comment was, "That's fine....have fun and don't break anything."

Full throttle...yep....will do.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                        I wish I had the arm to throw a baseball further than 15 feet these days. 2 shoulder surgeries took everything out of it
                        Thanks Jason...so where is Mike Fast to help me with my Pitch F/X stuff to help me be a better hitter?

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
                          Thanks Jason...so where is Mike Fast to help me with my Pitch F/X stuff to help me be a better hitter?
                          My guess is trying to ensure that Carlos Correa has a better OBP than you do.

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
                            Yeah, Mrs. Gris comment was, "That's fine....have fun and don't break anything."

Full throttle...yep....will do.
                            Have fun! And don't forget to update us.

Comment

this is my second year of playing baseball in my silly league and my first year of doing it as a 40-year-old. the one piece of advice I can offer you, especially if you're playing left field: by the time your shoulder hurts from throwing the ball, you've already gone way past how much work you should have done. As soon as you start feeling twinges or dead arm, rest it for a little while. work on your hitting or run or something. but if you get to the point where you just can't throw any more, your arm is going to be useless for a couple days.
                              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X